Latrodectus (Theridiidae) Picture Thread

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that black tred you posted looks like she has really short legs for an abdomen of that size. i think this is an interesting characteristic that the old worlders share. the menavodi and pallidus seem to have this morphology as well...

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that black tred you posted looks like she has really short legs for an abdomen of that size. i think this is an interesting characteristic that the old worlders share. the menavodi and pallidus seem to have this morphology as well...
I would take a guess and say it has something to do with these species desert niche.

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm getting a little better at this L. bishopi photography...

And figured out a cool system to take some up close pics of the 'ole L. pallidus...

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Latrodectus mirabilis (I bet you don't have this species ;P)
Hey! Thats mirabilis alright! Nice.. :cool: They have the strangest hour glass ...just like yours. For us latro freaks, there are a few large areas of the world that are "untapped" so to speak. South America being the most important IMHO.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey! Thats mirabilis alright! Nice.. :cool: They have the strangest hour glass ...just like yours. For us latro freaks, there are a few large areas of the world that are "untapped" so to speak. South America being the most important IMHO.
Thanks!

Yes, this spider was caught in Sierra de la Ventana (province of Buenos Aires), and indeed it's a L. mirabilis

I have had Latrodectus corallinus in the past as well, although they are much more difficult to find.

Cheers,
Bothrops

Rizzolo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Widows in India?

I am heading to India for a few weeks, Dehli and north to Rajasthan and the Himalayas, and i am wondering what species of widow i might encounter there. Anybody know? Some links to some information?

Bothros - that is a beautiful L mirabilis. What a unique hourglass and a unique red color. Do you have a male? It would be great if you could post a photo of the male also.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am heading to India for a few weeks, Dehli and north to Rajasthan and the Himalayas, and i am wondering what species of widow i might encounter there. Anybody know? Some links to some information?

Bothros - that is a beautiful L mirabilis. What a unique hourglass and a unique red color. Do you have a male? It would be great if you could post a photo of the male also.
For the first question you could see the WSC. Here's the link: http://research.amnh.org/entomology/spiders/catalog/THERIDIIDAE.html

For the second question.. Thanks, unfortunately, I don't have a male, although I have an eggsac, so maybe, if all goes well, I will have pics of the males in a few months.

Cheers,
Bothrops

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dont know about the northern reaches of India ...probably no natives, but geos and macs have gotten everywhere.

Venture to Sri Lanka (a bit rough these days) and maybe you could pick up some L.erythromelas though. I doubt that there is even a pic available online. Just finding some local literature (even if the only thing you can understand is the image) would put a nice notch in the latro hobby belt. ;)

Peter Grabowitz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
some widow of me... :)

Latrodectus spec. LAOS

Latrodectus menavodi

Latrodectus tredecimgutattus

Latrodectus geometricus

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice Bothrops! Those look like pretty heavy-bodies girls, huh?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Damn, those last few species are nice.

I've only kept hesperus and mactans... more one day I hope! :)

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lost this babe because of a heater accident. Heater usually defaults to 70, but for some damn reason it defaulted to 90F at max wattage ...it probably was over 140 directly over the heater when I discovered the fkup. This one's cup so happen to be the one closest to the sun. Poor girl.

Added her to the temp alcohol preserve cup. I thought a bit back that I ought to be keeping at least some my "bugs" preserved... my half-azzed attempt to get into the habit...
ANY suggestions regarding preservation, would be appeciated! ...but I realize that there is tons of info on the subject and I just need to start taking it seriously.

Sometimes, when I am fairly sure of cause of death, I will allow another to have a special meal.
L.hsp "Arizona" crippled by old age (should have died months ago, but she kept hanging on). Death finalized via sexy young killer rev...

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are some truly spectacular widows on here. I cant wait to go on a road trip and catch some soon. I also would like to get my hands on some of the other more spectacular species alot of you posess :D great shots everyone.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
L.geometricus-S.grossa showdown. Place your bets! :D
They have been staring each other down for a few days now.
I will place my bet on the grossa. She has the patience and skills to take even the greatest latro hunter. Natural born widow killer she is. ;)