Leech Feeding Help?

LoveGrub

Arachnopeon
So I have two medicinal leeches, and I'm a little worried about if they're eating enough? I used raw beef liver to feed them, and they did latch on for a while, but it was only for like 15ish minutes and I feel like that might be fairly short? Am I overthinking and they're fine? I would offer them my own blood, but I'm on two different medications and I don't want to risk potentially hurting them. There's just not a ton of resources for leechkeeping out there so I want to make sure I'm not starving the poor dears

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I was thinking about leeches today! Wondering why I don't ever see anything here about them, then I realized they'd probably be on an aquatic site. Maybe someone will know more!!

I did just find this 🤣🤣

You better pay the leech tax! (Pictures)

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
More power to you... I personally find it disturbing and grotesque.

But please, provide pics.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I was thinking about leeches today! Wondering why I don't ever see anything here about them, then I realized they'd probably be on an aquatic site. Maybe someone will know more!!

I did just find this 🤣🤣

You better pay the leech tax! (Pictures)
I never knew people kept leeches, interesting! 🧐 The medical field has them, though

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Story time, my dad and dug a big pond in our yard many moons ago. He was super frugal, so it was a huge treat. A lot of labor, and an investment with the pump. I was under very strict orders to clear that pump if it ever clogged, because once it went, it would not be replaced, like any nice thing. It happened one day, which meant going for a swim. Not a big deal. When I got the pump cleaned out there was a slight explosion of the contents, I was covered in filth. I went inside to shower real quick, and while in there I realized the dirt wasn't washing off. I was COVERED in hundreds of leeches ranging from 1/3" to about 2". Never felt anything.

He had gathered a bunch of sediment from a local lake to get the microfauna/nutrients. The raccoons got all our fish.

Thought it was the coolest thing ever, 10/10 would do again

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I think most keepers offer warmed blood inside a sausage casing. They should gorge themselves when fed to my understanding.

Adzk187

Arachnopeon
So I have two medicinal leeches, and I'm a little worried about if they're eating enough? I used raw beef liver to feed them, and they did latch on for a while, but it was only for like 15ish minutes and I feel like that might be fairly short? Am I overthinking and they're fine? I would offer them my own blood, but I'm on two different medications and I don't want to risk potentially hurting them. There's just not a ton of resources for leechkeeping out there so I want to make sure I'm not starving the poor dears
Hii and efficient way of seeing if they have fed enough is to weigh them before and after! They also should have some visible change. I know not everyone can due to allergies or preferences but that’s the main reason why I feed on myself, other than it being the safest for them of course. Good luck!:D

invertinverts

Arachnopeon
I think they can eat warm or cool blood but prefer warm so you could heat it up a bit. You could try blood in a sausage casing and place that in a bowl of warm water to heat it. Just make sure the blood doesn't have any antibiotics and I'm pretty sure pig blood is not preferable for some reason though don't quote me on that. Depending on size they only have to eat a couple times a year so it's a bit of a hassle but it's not something you have to do every week. You could feed live frogs, if that's something you would uhh,, want to do

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Find someone willing to offer their arm. That guy Post 10 on YouTube does it!