Lighting

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You annoy me vespers. And yes people were speaking of uv lights before I. I don't understand why you act the way you do. My information is not wrong. There's plenty senerios where most light could blind a t. I don't care to explain to people with simple minded thoughts. Think what you will vespers and good job on your accomplishments. I'm sure you know everything about everything. :)
Oh, you sure showed me... :laugh:

I don't care if I annoy you. You'll just have to get over it now, won't you?
Has any of these "senarios" (sic) of tarantulas that have been blinded actually happened? Next time you decide to throw out remarks about simple minded thoughts, at least spell everything correctly so it doesn't seem as if you put your foot in your mouth. But I'm sure you'll be ready to pounce on me with some entertaining keyboard warrior antics soon instead of backing up your claims, right?

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
My spelling isn't the problem, it's your poor ability to reason with anyone. I bet everyone says wow I wish I could be like vespers. And the spelling is bc I'm using a cell. It's hard to navigate on this site.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
14 pokies I love the moonlight idea!! Now all you need is a few candles and you can get a lobster dinner for them! Lmao jkjk
That's too expensive for my blood, I'll buy em some natty ice and pizza rolls.Lol!
The idea with the blue LEDs is to create the same amount of illumination as a full moon.I have tried using red lights but the color drives me nuts.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
That's too expensive for my blood, I'll buy em some natty ice and pizza rolls.Lol!
The idea with the blue LEDs is to create the same amount of illumination as a full moon.I have tried using red lights but the color drives me nuts.
Should have known lol
That beats the dollar menu! ;)

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I saw some LED light strips at Lowes over the weekend that had some interesting possibilities for that kind of stuff, and wasn't terribly expensive (under $40). It came with a little control pad thing that allows you to pick many different color shades, and allowed you to control the brightness as well. Seems you could mimic a moonlight effect quite well by choosing a pale blue hue and a dim intensity setting, or adjust it to your taste.

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
HI 14,

I just added a 50 Watt Blue Exo Terra bulb to my GBB's set up. I turn it on for a few hours at night, it provides both a gentle amount of heat and the lovely blue to observe her with. My T's, along with my scorps, are in a room that gets a lot of day light, and at night it's all dark, so they get the natural day/night cycle's that help them regulate their patterns, as it were.

The box, and of course the second, third, fourth and fifth opinion research I've done on the net that says the same thing the box says, is that there is no UV light in the bulb.

I had one on my P. imperator tank as well, and it did highlight them a ghostly glow, which, albeit nice to look at, worried me because if there is no UV light in the bulb, how could they flouresce? So, I called their reps, who also claimed there is no UV, just the blue color of the bulb's glass that allows them to fluoresce.
I eventually took that light down and use only the IR for them now, but I don't think the blue hurts the T any. Plus, it will only be one for a few hours at night, and the tank is spacious enough (16 H x 12 W x 24 L) to allow her places to roam should she desire to. Sure is pretty to see :)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Thank you Kelly and vespers I actually have a small experiment going on my p.regalis set up.. My gf has a small blue led from an aquarium and I set it up to see if her nightly behavior would change. Its been 3 days and she is still acting normal if after a month of normal behavior with blue LEDs I'll be buying a few 7ft strip of bulbs from amazon and rigging up my room!
I may have to get rid of some ts to afford the spike in the E-bill but yaknow whatever! Lol!

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
"I may have to get rid of some ts to afford the spike in the E-bill"

You are NOT kidding with the spike comment... I started using ceramic bulbs for better heating, and holy toledo did my bill skyrocket! Someone should introduce the pleasures of invert keeping to someone at the local utility company, the prices might go down somewhat...

anyway, glad your LED's are working out for you.

Come in spring!!

:)

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon

You are NOT kidding with the spike comment... I started using ceramic bulbs for better heating, and holy toledo did my bill skyrocket! Someone should introduce the pleasures of invert keeping to someone at the local utility company, the prices might go down somewhat...

Come in spring!!

Ceramic heat emitters use a lot of electricity, led strips don't. The difference in the light bill should be negligible with the LEDs.

14pokies

Arachnoprince

Come in spring!!

To be honest it all went wrong when we assassinated Nikola Tesla and stole his work! The glimmer of cheap energy was extinguished instantly!
LEDs shouldn't be too expensive to run...way cheaper then fluorescent or halogen!

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
To be honest it all went wrong when we assassinated Nikola Tesla and stole his work! The glimmer of cheap energery was extinguished instantly!
So true, he had developed a fully functional system that would have basically allowed for low cost, if not free, energy...without a single light pole or wire....I wish the world would have taken the other turn at that point in time.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
He had developed a way to provide clean, endless, sustainable energy from our atmosphere. He, however, said that he got help from extraterrestrial origins. His personality and works are shrouded in mystery.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire

My walk in closet turned spider room. the closet doors are slatted, so it allows a little light during the day but not much at all. I have a red flood light in the overhead socket, and I have red cheap red Christmas tree lights hanging from the shelves. I use both lights when I'm in the room, and between the two it's almost as bright as daylight for me but doesn't seem to bother the tarantulas at all.