Lighting ?

KingBollock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why use a blacklight for viewing T's? In the long term they're bad for the T's exoskeleton but even with short use they're not particularly good for the T's eyes, or for yours for that matter. And they're not a particluarly good light to view with anyway unless you're veiwing something that glows under UV light. You're much better off with a white or daylight lamp for viewing.

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
KingBollock said:
Why use a blacklight for viewing T's? In the long term they're bad for the T's exoskeleton but even with short use they're not particularly good for the T's eyes, or for yours for that matter. And they're not a particluarly good light to view with anyway unless you're veiwing something that glows under UV light. You're much better off with a white or daylight lamp for viewing.
You're right, however I don't think a daytime blub would be much better for them...I have an 'Infared' Zoo Med bulb for nocurnal animals and allows you to view your nocturnal (or sleeping for that matter) reptiles under a red glow. Works like a charm.

KingBollock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For inspecting the T's enclosures at night I use a torch with a red light gel over the lense. I sometimes feel that a white light would be better for the job though as I think it would pick out more detail. Having said that, I generally do my inspections during the day using the ambient light of the room and only really inspect them during the night if I think one's about to molt.

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So a red gel over a white flourecent light would be better than a black light for the t?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I don't believe Ts derive any benefit from natural sunlight or lack thereof. Your choice of lighting is up to you. I use simple clamp-on gooseneck lights with 100 watt bulbs and position them to provide moderate warmth during the day. I turn them off at night only so I can sleep! :rolleyes: