Long Tube Sticking Out of Female Dubia's Behind

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dubia

Your must have your temps off or something because the from mating to live berth doesn't take nearly 3-5 months. The females extend the oothica out and rotate it 180 degress and then pull it back in. There body is the incubator and they rotate the babies just like spiders rotate egg sacks. I started selling dubia so many years ago and they are now the most popular feeder roach on the market. I have had over 100 different species of roaches throughout the years and even now have several species nobody in the US has ever seen before. There is still much to learn but guys like Orin have led much of the research. On average I have anywhere between 25,000-100,000 dubia and have seen all shapes and sizes. Nutrition can affect there look, temp can, and I'm sure other factors. I keep mine at 80F nearly all the time and the breed like crazy.

Most people don't realize that lateralis came over on military cargo. I had friends that collected them in parts of Arizona next to a base. This roach has quickly become a replacement to lobsters for many people. I have had them for years know and had many escape (in the early days before better containers) their container but never my room. They like most roaches seem to head for the closest source of water and usually will die of drowning. Now in warmer states like Texas, Florida, etc lateralis could be a real problem. You really must keep them with some climbing agent and a solid vented lid. Hissers are the real interesting one. They come from a very warm climate, but can withstand very cold temp. I have had one alive in my garage for over a year with temp sometimes dropping in the 20's. These suckers are very hardy and although they can't reproduce in these temps they can survive.
James

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We keep our dubia at 89' for breeding temps...and though we don't keep 100,00...(we only have a FEW thousand) we do watch them several times a day..every day....
I'll bow to your greater years of expertise on this and not fuss about it.
Please tell us all....
:worship:

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Guys, that long tube is now detached from the body. I think she detached it... is this a "miscarriage"? :(

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
tubage

Yes, typically if birth is proper the tube is broken open and 99.9% eaten. If there is a full tube it was abandoned. This can happen from diet or stress. make sure to give plenty of egg flat space. I really like to use apples and carrot in their diet along with a dry food.
James

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also be very gentle when moving the egg crates to take roaches out. Females can get stressed very easily by movement and abort the eggcase. When I moved my roaches to a new container lots of females aborted. It didn't seem to slow down roach production though and I had lots of babies in no time after the move.
For some reason I have tons of female roaches and am really short on males. Anyone else have that happen? I was wondering if temperature or diet caused more females than males to be born.

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh darn. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE THOUGH GUYS!

Anyway how soon after will they mate again? Or do they do so like rabbits?

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah... lol. Mine got a shape of a d---.
:eek: You mean like the entire thing or just....just the....long....Ok I think I'm going to stop now I don't want puke.

That's amazing though. I thought that they just layed eggs and I didn't know that they gave birth to live young. Awesome! Please tell as to why the suck the ootheca back up. That to me is both interesting and disturbing. LOL! I want answers pretty please.

Thankies and I look forward to reading them! This makes goo material for my Insect Blog since I haven't updated it in a few days. I've fill ins to do too so again thanks!

Black Widow88

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got Dubia a few months ago and today I saw my first Dubia with something like that sticking out of its rear. Does this mean that my dubia is pregnant? I have never bred them before. If its pregnant and has this tube, how long do you think before the babies will be here???? :p