Looking for a beauty

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Be VERY careful with New world species. Most of them are capable of inflicting serious injuries. Brachypelma are notorious for being prone to flicking hairs, very skittish.

species like Aphonopelma and brachypelma are often called 'handleable', but I've seen far more defensive aphonopelma than 'docile'. The problem is, sometimes a tarantula wont give any posture at all, and will just suddenly flick or bite you. This is true with any tarantula, OW, or NW.

tarantulaperson

Arachnopeon
Are you set on blue and metallic kind of spectacular? Because if you're looking for mellow and handleable, I can't speak highly enough of my A.chalcodes. I know they're written up as dull brown, but mine is definitely a gorgeous strawberry blonde. I got her from Anastasia from net-bug.net, except I got her in person at a show.
Do look at net-bugs too when you're shopping. And you can check the review threads on these boards to get feedback about most sellers.
Well blue is my favorite color which is why i want a H. Lividum . It's sad i can't hold my favorite one :(. I want a juvie female so i know it will live a long time. Or should i get a different age? i thought that would be an optimal age for a good size to lifespan ratio. So no i am not set on a blue tarantula for a showpiece that is handleable. I want to get a chaco golden knee for my Fiancé's arachnaphobia. It's a beauty but i want another beauty, maybe a little prettier. if i were to get an A.chalcodes like you suggest i would prefer to get it in person. So i could get a real pretty one like you. I have a B. Smithi sling but i want a tarantula sooner that to share with my friends. any advice from anyone who is helping me?

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Brachypelma klaasi if you have the money and can find one. Good size, beautiful and tend to be fairly docile (though individual temperaments may vary).

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I actually prefer the brown Tarantulas, especially considering they're not just "brown" :D

This A. iodius from imperial county, CA is a beaut :D

14pokies

Arachnoprince
U cant go wrong with a pinktoe(avicularia sp) there relatively cheap, common, beautiful and tend to jump or shoot poop instead of biting kicking hairs or throwin threat displays.

---------- Post added 10-27-2014 at 10:10 PM ----------

U cant go wrong with a pinktoe(avicularia sp) there relatively cheap, common, beautiful and tend to jump or shoot poop instead of biting kicking hairs or throwin threat displays.

Drache

Arachnosquire

---------- Post added 10-27-2014 at 10:10 PM ----------

The one I had was fairly skittish, readily flicked hair, and had the disconcerting habit of bolting up my arm to the top of my head. She made a great display animal, and once she was permanently installed in a front-opening cage, maintenance and feeding became a breeze and I loved watching her spun lair develop, but "handleable"? Sure - just not without absolute calm and attention while maintaining quick reflexes.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Eauthlus parvulus all the way! Mine is my most curious and tolerant to handling tarantula I have. In fact it's the only one tolerant to handling. I've done so 3 times without any incident and I've handled him without contact a few times with no threat displays ever either. In fact he doesn't scare easily either. Only a few times has he covered his carapace in fear. The only time he's ever gotten defensive was when I had a long ordeal coralling him into a shipping container. He kicked a lot of hairs at me. But it took him a while to start doing that actually. Never a threat to bite though. And he held no grudge. He's always eager to come out on your hand and explore. That may be a species trait, or because he's a MM.

But my Avic. Well my Avic is pretty mellow, and a cool looking T. But it's definitely more nervous and skittish then the E. parvulus. Although I don't worry about bites from my Avic either. I have seen from experience that it clearly HATES being handled. Only once did I handle it without incident. The other 5 times, it pooped in fear twice, one of those times being from a decision it made to wander out of the enclosure, it jumped pff my ex girlfriend once, and randomly bolted for a game of "gp back home Avic" 2 other times.

They are great Ts. But are unpredictable if let loose, and don't particularly enjoy being on people I think. You could easily loose it, nevermind stress it out. Not worth it for a few minutes of showing your T to somebody.

My Avic is easy to work with now that it lives in a web retreat and I know I can always keep it contained for maintenance, That's why it's nice that they're mellow. Not for handling so much IMO.

Attachments

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why are some people so intent on handling their tarantulas? These are not animals that like to be held. They have no desire for it. If you want something you can hold, get a bearded Dragon or another relatively calm reptile or a gerbil or hamster. Most tarantulas are too skittish to be held.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Why are some people so intent on handling their tarantulas? These are not animals that like to be held. They have no desire for it. If you want something you can hold, get a bearded Dragon or another relatively calm reptile or a gerbil or hamster. Most tarantulas are too skittish to be held.
Indeed this is really the case. As I said I only held my parvulus 3 times. 2x in the store to get a feel for the T. Once when he crawled onto me wheb I opened the container I brought him home in.

The rest of the time the objective is really to keep him in his home.

Just saying if you were indeed to take one out to educate somebody. This would be a candidate. It just shouldn't be a regular occurrence for your entertainment.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well blue is my favorite color which is why i want a H. Lividum . It's sad i can't hold my favorite one :(. I want a juvie female so i know it will live a long time. Or should i get a different age? i thought that would be an optimal age for a good size to lifespan ratio. So no i am not set on a blue tarantula for a showpiece that is handleable. I want to get a chaco golden knee for my Fiancé's arachnaphobia. It's a beauty but i want another beauty, maybe a little prettier. if i were to get an A.chalcodes like you suggest i would prefer to get it in person. So i could get a real pretty one like you. I have a B. Smithi sling but i want a tarantula sooner that to share with my friends. any advice from anyone who is helping me?
If you want a blue tarantula that you will see then H.Lividum is not the one. This genus can be very reclusive and can be terribly defensive, not good if your fiance is scared of spiders. A G.pulchripes might be fine but they take 10 years to get fully grown, and they can be just as moody as any other spider, mine throws poses and hair pretty often. For an Aphonopelma maybe buying one in person would be good to see the personality but buying one online is not a bad option as I think the while genus looks quite pretty. A juvie Brachy could work as well but they can be hair flickers, Thrixs are nice but you'd have to shop around for one and grammies can be moody so you have a slim chance of having a good specimen for your desires.

I will still suggest a Thrix as they are calm, very pretty, will usually be out and if for some reason you want to handle it, it will tolerate it. Brachys are not a bad choice if you have the cash as they are very pretty spiders and pretty easy to find.

Another option are dwarf species like E.sp "red" or "yellow". They are smaller, very cute and I don't think I've ever heard of one biting someone. I would suggest getting an adult/juvie as they do grow slow. They are also very reasonable in price and not too hard to find.

tarantulaperson

Arachnopeon
Indeed this is really the case. As I said I only held my parvulus 3 times. 2x in the store to get a feel for the T. Once when he crawled onto me wheb I opened the container I brought him home in.

The rest of the time the objective is really to keep him in his home.

Just saying if you were indeed to take one out to educate somebody. This would be a candidate. It just shouldn't be a regular occurrence for your entertainment.
Education is a good reason for handling. IMO i believe some tarantulas like to explore, furthermore i think some species are impartial to handling. Of course you can disagree with me. Some species are best left alone. I think handling should be minimized say once a week if that. I believe handling can make you feel closer to your pet. I don't think handling should be for entertainment though. I agree their are better pets that can be handled more often.

---------- Post added 10-29-2014 at 12:58 AM ----------

If you want a blue tarantula that you will see then H.Lividum is not the one. This genus can be very reclusive and can be terribly defensive, not good if your fiance is scared of spiders. A G.pulchripes might be fine but they take 10 years to get fully grown, and they can be just as moody as any other spider, mine throws poses and hair pretty often. For an Aphonopelma maybe buying one in person would be good to see the personality but buying one online is not a bad option as I think the while genus looks quite pretty. A juvie Brachy could work as well but they can be hair flickers, Thrixs are nice but you'd have to shop around for one and grammies can be moody so you have a slim chance of having a good specimen for your desires.

I will still suggest a Thrix as they are calm, very pretty, will usually be out and if for some reason you want to handle it, it will tolerate it. Brachys are not a bad choice if you have the cash as they are very pretty spiders and pretty easy to find.

Another option are dwarf species like E.sp "red" or "yellow". They are smaller, very cute and I don't think I've ever heard of one biting someone. I would suggest getting an adult/juvie as they do grow slow. They are also very reasonable in price and not too hard to find.
Ken the bug guy suggested the G. pulchripes. Researching the species i have found it is subject to mood swings. Aphonopelma most seem a little bland the reason i want a prettier one is because i believe she will be more open to it. She likes the Brazilian pink bloom. I do like the Aphonopelma seemanni and the Thrixopelma ockerti of what you suggested. Do you or does anyone else have any suggestions for a blue tarantula? I love the P. metallica and the Monocentropus balfouri. Those are quite expensive even for spiderlings. I like the H. lividum for price and color even though i won't get to see it often. I was pointed to the GBB having sapgire legs but i personally did not notice it immediately so its other colors somewhat take away form the legs. I want it to be blue later in life like adult colors rather than sling colors. I worry about the Lampropelma Violaceopes gooing more purple than blue. I couldn't find a lot of picture on the Chilobrachys sp so i am worried it would go more bland than others.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I hear B.Smithi are super docile, look cool as well.
Neither one mine can be held, super hair kickers & skittish. My A avic also dosnt like to be held.

I do not handle my Ts at all except when they run out of cage on accident, and I have to catch em with my hand.

---------- Post added 10-29-2014 at 02:07 AM ----------

+1
I don't get Ts to hold them , but they are great display pets.
IMO feeder roaches like dubia are easier to handle then any T I own, I hear hisser's can be cool to hold also.

Last edited:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
While handling may make you feel closer to your tarantula, the feeling is not reciprocated.

The majority of blue tarantulas in the hobby are not going to be handleable due to being skittish, hair-flickers or OW venom. Many tend to be pet holes or pet webs. Any tarantula, by species or individual, that is typically considered handleable will be variable depending on where it is in its molt cycle, external stimuli, phase of the moon, mood of the day.... Some typically calm individuals may be Jekyll and Hyde from one molt cycle to the next.

Handling dramatically increases risks of bites, falls, escapes, injuries, hair kicking, etc and can also increase risk of a negative experience for any arachnophobe that you may be trying to convert. Tarantulas are best viewed like tropical fish - nice to look at, not to handle. There is a wealth of educational information to be shared without handling.

tarantulaperson

Arachnopeon
While handling may make you feel closer to your tarantula, the feeling is not reciprocated.

The majority of blue tarantulas in the hobby are not going to be handleable due to being skittish, hair-flickers or OW venom. Many tend to be pet holes or pet webs. Any tarantula, by species or individual, that is typically considered handleable will be variable depending on where it is in its molt cycle, external stimuli, phase of the moon, mood of the day.... Some typically calm individuals may be Jekyll and Hyde from one molt cycle to the next.

Handling dramatically increases risks of bites, falls, escapes, injuries, hair kicking, etc and can also increase risk of a negative experience for any arachnophobe that you may be trying to convert. Tarantulas are best viewed like tropical fish - nice to look at, not to handle. There is a wealth of educational information to be shared without handling.
I am looking for a blue tarantula as a display pet not a holder. I am also looking for a holder. I am looking for two different T's.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am looking for a blue tarantula as a display pet not a holder. I am also looking for a holder. I am looking for two different T's.
Everything I said still applies. :)
Not all blue tarantulas are good display animals.
Not all tarantulas purported to be docile will tolerate handling.
With handling there is always risk.

tarantulaperson

Arachnopeon
Everything I said still applies. :)
Not all blue tarantulas are good display animals.
Not all tarantulas purported to be docile will tolerate handling.
With handling there is always risk.
Precisely. They are always subject to mood change and separate personalities.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Education is a good reason for handling. IMO i believe some tarantulas like to explore, furthermore i think some species are impartial to handling. Of course you can disagree with me. Some species are best left alone. I think handling should be minimized say once a week if that. I believe handling can make you feel closer to your pet. I don't think handling should be for entertainment though. I agree their are better pets that can be handled more often.

---------- Post added 10-29-2014 at 12:58 AM ----------

Ken the bug guy suggested the G. pulchripes. Researching the species i have found it is subject to mood swings. Aphonopelma most seem a little bland the reason i want a prettier one is because i believe she will be more open to it. She likes the Brazilian pink bloom. I do like the Aphonopelma seemanni and the Thrixopelma ockerti of what you suggested. Do you or does anyone else have any suggestions for a blue tarantula? I love the P. metallica and the Monocentropus balfouri. Those are quite expensive even for spiderlings. I like the H. lividum for price and color even though i won't get to see it often. I was pointed to the GBB having sapgire legs but i personally did not notice it immediately so its other colors somewhat take away form the legs. I want it to be blue later in life like adult colors rather than sling colors. I worry about the Lampropelma Violaceopes gooing more purple than blue. I couldn't find a lot of picture on the Chilobrachys sp so i am worried it would go more bland than others.
I was actually recommending T.cyaneolum as I have one myself and she is a very laid back spider. T.ockerti is a little more skittish but the genus as a whole are not bad as I see mine everyday and she *could* be handled if I wanted to do so. I have A.seemanni Blue Color Form but I would not handle her as this species is known to be a little more feisty among the genus but they are not overtly aggressive, so she is easy to care for. All the other species you are talking about are not good ambassador species as I own P.metallica and M.balfouri as they are fast, can be defensive and are a bit reclusive, the Haplo and Lampro will both be very pet hole like and can be rather cranky as well. Granted my specimens might be foul tempered but my M.balfouri has bit my paint brush multiple times and my P.metallica gives threat poses pretty regularly or will zip around the container, I am not sure of your tarantula experience so I will be mainly suggesting New Worlds. So this leaves you with a few options for what you want:

Nice Display Specimen That is Blue: Most of the Avicularia genus, GBB (The legs are mainly blue), Thrixopelma ockerti or cyaneolum, A.seemanni BCF

"Handle" Specimen: E.sp "Red"/"Yellow", G.pulchra (pulchripes is an option too), T.cyaneolum, Some of Aphonopelma like anax or henzi, Some Brachys (they do like to flick hairs though)

cold blood

Staff member
blue

It was indeed T. cyaneolum. Very good bet for handling as they tend to be very docile...if I handled, this would be the first one I'd go for, very chill, plus its threat pose is different from the aggressive feet up fangs bared most envision. Their threat pose is to lift its abdomen high and wave it in the air. Another reason they would make a good educational handler is that they are a gorgeous blue with a beautiful rump that's covered in darker red setae with a big gold mirror patch. Pics don't do them justice.

Btw, okerti is more of a green, definitely not blue in my eyes. Brighter setae as well.

Attachments

awiec

Arachnoprince
It was indeed T. cyaneolum. Very good bet for handling as they tend to be very docile...if I handled, this would be the first one I'd go for, very chill, plus its threat pose is different from the aggressive feet up fangs bared most envision. Their threat pose is to lift its abdomen high and wave it in the air. Another reason they would make a good educational handler is that they are a gorgeous blue with a beautiful rump that's covered in darker red setae with a big gold mirror patch. Pics don't do them justice.

Btw, okerti is more of a green, definitely not blue in my eyes. Brighter setae as well.
I've seen a few okerti in person and some of them are pretty blue and I've seen them do traditional threat poses as well. cyaneolum is definitely the best choice from the genus, though I think pruriens (more of a greenish color) is pretty calm too but I have no experience with them. Though the calm demeanor is broken when food is in the equation, my girl hits her food like a truck.

cold blood

Staff member
Though the calm demeanor is broken when food is in the equation, my girl hits her food like a truck.
+1 mine catches everything I drop in front of her. Great eater, indeed.

I've never seen a blue looking okerti, sure they weren't mislabeled? Interesting though. Okerti actually just moved to the top of my wish list btw (P. muticus is in the delivery truck now).