Looking for input/concerns about a type of container lid

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
I'm not really sure what this type of lid would be called so I'm having trouble finding similar experiences when using these containers for tarantulas.

I'm wondering if this style of lid seems to be too flimsy or iffy to trust keeping a tarantula contained? They're Mainstays brand plastic canisters from Walmart.

I think I've used this kind of canister/lid in the past for their intended uses, and I'd I'm remembering it correctly, the lids are fairly tight when they're firmly pressed onto the lip of the container.

I've been using primarily latching/locking plastic boxes and containers so far, plus deli cups. I don't think it's the same kind of seal as you get from deli cups (where the lid actually snaps onto the container), so I'm hesitant to try these, but it'd be a good deal for some fossorial enclosures if they seem fine!

Any thoughts?

Attachments

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Never used them
Dude! Why did you even comment then?! 🤣

@Wenzer

I haven't used those exact containers, but I've used similar plastic containers for my fossorials. As long as you can securely snap-fit the lid it should be fine.

If it fits loosely, don't use it.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Only lid mishap I've ever had was a deli cup... I found it about 3 feet away. I'll never know how but it sure appeared to have popped off and been flung.

What I don't like about those lids is that you can't see through them, and combine with the opacity of the walls it's not ideal for slings or old worlds IMO. There's a canister type that many people around these parts use that is quite affordable. Still a solid lid but crystal clear plastic, and a little more wiggle room to perform husbandry tasks

The brand is Mainstays still but 64 oz canister should fetch it for you

@Wenzer
I am also trying these out, from Big Flops
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/new-enclosure-find.344801/ since SOMEBODIES cleaned out all the Wally's 😭

Last edited:

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
Only lid mishap I've ever had was a deli cup... I found it about 3 feet away. I'll never know how but it sure appeared to have popped off and been flung.

What I don't like about those lids is that you can't see through them, and combine with the opacity of the walls it's not ideal for slings or old worlds IMO. There's a canister type that many people around these parts use that is quite affordable. Still a solid lid but crystal clear plastic, and a little more wiggle room to perform husbandry tasks
Are you possibly referring to this style of plastic canisters? I use these a lot as well!
Screenshot_20240203_213257.jpg

These containers I'm interested in are actually fairly clear, not crystal clear but not opaque IMO. I realized the screenshot I used makes them look very opaque haha. You can still my hand through the plastic of the 4 canisters, though not super well.

20240203_213507.jpg 20240203_213614.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics/lighting. Winding down for the night over here haha.

I'm going to play around with the lid and see how the fit feels after I've added some ventilation holes. I think part of the pressure holding it to the container is from a bit of suction, maybe.

Edit,
@Wenzer

I am also trying these out, from Big Flops

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/new-enclosure-find.344801/ since SOMEBODIES cleaned out all the Wally's 😭
LOL almost sounds like me when I hit the wally world... 😅

I just saw your edit though, after posting my reply. Whoops!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I’m sure they will be fine. But don’t use them if your overly worried about it. Also you can alway secure them with tape if you had to.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Are you possibly referring to this style of plastic canisters? I use these a lot as well!
View attachment 466346

These containers I'm interested in are actually fairly clear, not crystal clear but not opaque IMO. I realized the screenshot I used makes them look very opaque haha. You can still my hand through the plastic of the 4 canisters, though not super well.

View attachment 466349 View attachment 466350

Sorry for the bad pics/lighting. Winding down for the night over here haha.

I'm going to play around with the lid and see how the fit feels after I've added some ventilation holes. I think part of the pressure holding it to the container is from a bit of suction, maybe.

Edit,

LOL almost sounds like me when I hit the wally world... 😅

I just saw your edit though, after posting my reply. Whoops!
Do they have a funky plastic smell?