LPS Mystery T!! marked as a starburst baboon..

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I never found a caresheet on that species, So I'm not sure what to compare it to. I do know that A. Seemani are known to burrow and move things around, are a little bit skittish but not really aggressive or defensive. Fits my little guy perfectly.
Both species look and act very similar. I think it would be nice if some one could dig up some articles describing each species in taxonomic detail. I personally don't have the time to do this ATM, but would thing it would be a great addition to the info we have on the boards.

A new thread describing the differences of said species. So... Who's up for the challenge?

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I searched for a while yesterday. I didn't find very much.. :/
yeah, about 6-8 months ago I searched and searched, and posted on AB, BTS, and ATS alike... Got nothing solid and the T in question never molted for me. It was a present from one of my coworkers to her grandkid, and his birht day came before I could get a solid ID.

Neophyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We only determine the species from the way it looks anyways.

In my opinion, if it acts like a A. Seemani and looks like a A. Seemani, then it's a A. Seemani.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer

In my opinion, if it acts like a A. Seemani and looks like a A. Seemani, then it's a A. Seemani.
That is rather ignorant, and not a very good for the hobby.

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

I agree this is ignorant because there are many species that look and act the same. For example look at the Avicularia species there are many that look and act the same but that doesn't make them that species. Also B.angustum,
B.vagans, B.epicureanum, and B.sabulosum all have very similar appearances but that doesn't make them the same thing.

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is rather ignorant, and not a very good for the hobby.
True, but then again, we're all guessing just from photos and appearance, is that not also ignorant?

I think the point being made was that we're trying to guess from photos, which could mean it's a species that looks similar to A.seemanni, but isn't. It's behavior is something that would also have to be considered for identification.

I can make no guarantee, but if it's as skittish as an A.seemanni, it certainly looks like one. In regards to the leg markings and abdomen spot... The spot alone is dead give-away and then the legs are answered too, it's young and probably in need of molt. The patch is a bald spot.

Why not A.borealis? To me, it doesn't look dark enough. A.borealis is kind of black with a blue-tinge. This one is slate grey.

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Please explain how you know about the color of A.borealis., did you read the paper or examine the Schmidt types?

Once you know about color of A.borealis, does that matter?

Ph0bia, You say on another thread "A.seemanni are highly variable. The pictures are both A.seemanni. They're not all black with striking white stripes."

So are you saying that there are many different forms of A.seemani, while all A.borealis are all the same color?

Everyone, please - What are your thoughts based on what exactly? Ever been to Costa rica or guatemala and examined Aphonpelma in the field, read and original descriptions, examined any types, or examined specimens from know field location ?? Or, just guesswork based on imports from who-knows-where with who-knows-what identification...

Please people - your specimens need to be examined carefully under a microscope and drawn properly to decide !!
(and if you dont know that central american Aphonopelma change color dramatically when they become adult males, then please do some reading up before even trying your hand at taxonomy, esp based on photos)

Now... Anyone in the UK/Europe (or anyone willing to send specimens there) - i need adult males / females of these species for some serious attempt to do taxonomy on these. All offers welcome. Esp Adult males, deads included.

Thankyou

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It looks like a striped knee.Also known as A.Seemani.If it a Baboon of any
type.It will be alot more aggressive.But I still think it's a Seemani.

mxslanksta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
looks EXACTLY like my a.seemani. could b wrong though never kno im not an expert. its jus like avics. i picked up my first T ever at an LPS said to b a mettalic pinktoe and ive seen pics where there blue. others where they look like mine( like an a.avic with shiney green on it). but also ive seen three dif species that look exactly the same on tarantula cananadas photo gallery andf they all look like mine!!!!:?

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok ok,... many of us know its not a baboon spider of any kind, its not even an african tarantula.... fine - no need to repeat.

Its 100% a central american Aphonopelma species, from guatemala and honduras, which is often imported and sold in the hobby as A.seemanni.

Fine. We all agree there., except maybe those that say A.borealis !!

Just because it has tan spinnerets DOESNT make it A.seemanni.
Just because other people have identical looking hobby spiders imported/sold/labeled as A.seemanni, DOESNT make it A.seemanni.
Just because it comes from guatemala near Lago Isabel DOENT make it Acanthoscurria borealis.

Best wishes to all.
s

Last edited:

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
By the way.The A.Seemani will always have orange spinneretes not brown.
Thats how you can tell it from other similar species and it looks like yours have
orange spinneretes.

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First Rob, "The A.Seemani will always have orange spinneretes not brown. " If you check back, I said Tan spinneretes, like Hex triplet code #D2B48C
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tan_(color). I agree they dont have brown spinneretes, i might agree on tan-orange - but i'd like to get a pantone chart to verify that one. Also i would like you to use lowercase and spellcheck on 'seemanni'

Second rob, "Thats how you can tell it from other similar species and it looks like yours have orange spinneretes." You are saying that A.seemanni is the only species with "orange" spinneretes. Thats a HUGE assumption, and based on YOUR version of what A.seemanni is, which - i assure you is based on spiders collected/exported from guatemala and honduras - which firstly is not COSTA RICA where A.seemanni comes from, and secondly may included multiple species from guatemala and honduras.

Tom, thanks for proviing those useful links, i know them well. I am interested in what the spider is, so the data eddy brought back from the field is interesting and helpful. I'm glad to see his article now making a public appearance in the ATS journal, and point europeans towards a companion article due to appear in the BTS journal (subject to editors discretion). I would be interested to hear peoples responses.

Thanks for comments
s