MASSIVE springtail - Pogonognathellus?

Theraphosphor

Arachnosquire
Here's "Ultra", a gigantic (almost 1/2") springtail I found under some rotten wood. Initially mistook it for a juvenile isopod because of how huge it was. It's covered in sparse, thick hairs.

I placed it in my newly made terrarium, where it enjoyed some nectar from some dropped flowers I threw in. Photos aren't great, though.

Attachments

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Did You find it in Texas?
I here everything's bigger there.

gzophia

Arachnosquire
Wow, that's crazy! And I thought the 0.125" ones I found yesterday were "big"...

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Orchesella, not Pogonognathellus; Tomoceridae are covered in reflective scales and aren't covered in nearly as much setae. The antennae are also uniquely developed in Tomocerinae. This is probably O. villosa based on the coloration. The genus is really diverse though and I can't say much without a location.

Theraphosphor

Arachnosquire
Orchesella, not Pogonognathellus; Tomoceridae are covered in reflective scales and aren't covered in nearly as much setae. The antennae are also uniquely developed in Tomocerinae. This is probably O. villosa based on the coloration. The genus is really diverse though and I can't say much without a location.
Thanks for the info! Location is central Connecticut.

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Probably just villosa then, yeah. I'm just hesitant because there's a very large number of species in the eastern US that I know nil about off the top of my head.