May have been duped into buying a "Purple" Tarantula...

awiec

Arachnoprince
So they're NOT everything I could want from a spider. If it's not as 'cranky as an OW', it still leaves something to be desired. It warms my heart to see NW's stand up in a defensive pose.
Well mine is still feisty as she will slap my tongs and paintbrush around but my P.muticus takes the cake on cranky; I have to plan my cleanings carefully with that bold creature.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Well mine is still feisty as she will slap my tongs and paintbrush around but my P.muticus takes the cake on cranky; I have to plan my cleanings carefully with that bold creature.
Right, but it's nice to see a NW do something besides an imitation of a potato.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Right, but it's nice to see a NW do something besides an imitation of a potato.
My pamhp is no potato, she is very active starting at 8 pm and will happily throw her size around if she needs to (even at 2.5 inches shes rather bulky). My "pet rock" of a G.pulchripes loves to try to barb me and gives poses at least once a month; no one really acts what they are "supposed" to be at my house.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Could turn out purple or brown. At least you can tell people it's definitely a bird-eating spider :laugh:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Could turn out purple or brown. At least you can tell people it's definitely a bird-eating spider :laugh:
I named mine Birdy due to that fact. Shes a sweet little tarantula, until you try to take her log away.

CaraMia

Arachnopeon
purplepic6.jpg purplepic7.jpg

So this little guy molted and there is definitely some purple showing!!! I'm super ecstatic because regardless of the species I wanted a purple tarantula. I'm thinking he is a P.sp Platyomma/Ecuador.

Thoughts, confirmations, compliments?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thanks! He is certainly gorgeous. I am in love.
At this stage you can't really tell as male and females look similar until they mature but I believe at 3 inches they are easy enough to sex via a molt or looking at their underside.

CaraMia

Arachnopeon
At this stage you can't really tell as male and females look similar until they mature but I believe at 3 inches they are easy enough to sex via a molt or looking at their underside.
Interesting. I am definitely new at sexing but I did save the molt and there is a Repticon near me in a few weeks. Maybe someone there can help me out.

Thanks!

horanjp

Arachnosquire
I noted that on the cup was written P. eq.
P. eq. = a dumb dealer's way of saying P. sp. Ecuador....etc

Just a thought...old thread I know, but IDing isn't really dependent on time...:sarcasm:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yep, definitely a pamphobeteus. Just for future reference, anyone who might come across this thread-- this is what an Xenesthis immanis spiderling should look like.

Xenesthis don't have (As far as I'm aware) 'christmas tree butt' and their common name (though arguably useless depending on who you talk to) is Colombian Lesserback.

---------- Post added 02-19-2015 at 08:47 PM ----------

Interesting. I am definitely new at sexing but I did save the molt and there is a Repticon near me in a few weeks. Maybe someone there can help me out.

Thanks!
If you want a purple tarantula, and aren't daunted by speed-- ehehehe, because taps are fast-- google Tapinauchenius violaceus. ;)

Also, you've got to get yourself an Avicularia purpurea!

CaraMia

Arachnopeon
Not sure if anyone subscribed to this thread and wants to see an update...but the little guy molted last week and I was able to finally get a semi-decent picture. He is definitely purple. I tried to shine a light to show how he is purple on his legs and carapace. Whatever he is, he is turning out to be stunning!!! purplepic9.jpg

CaraMia

Arachnopeon
Yep, definitely a pamphobeteus. Just for future reference, anyone who might come across this thread-- this is what an Xenesthis immanis spiderling should look like.

Xenesthis don't have (As far as I'm aware) 'christmas tree butt' and their common name (though arguably useless depending on who you talk to) is Colombian Lesserback.

---------- Post added 02-19-2015 at 08:47 PM ----------

If you want a purple tarantula, and aren't daunted by speed-- ehehehe, because taps are fast-- google Tapinauchenius violaceus. ;)

Also, you've got to get yourself an Avicularia purpurea!
Thanks for the suggestions! Maybe I will have one of everything. :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Majority of male of the the pamphs and phormics are purple so you male have a juvenile male or female who is deciding to be purple for a bit.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
Not sure if anyone subscribed to this thread and wants to see an update...but the little guy molted last week and I was able to finally get a semi-decent picture. He is definitely purple. I tried to shine a light to show how he is purple on his legs and carapace. Whatever he is, he is turning out to be stunning!!!
'Stunning' is definitely the right word!