Method to the Scientific Name Abbreviation Madness Revealed

Aphonopelma2002

Arachnopeon
Re: Replies to Method

Hello All,

I was overwhelmed and impressed by all the response to my original post. Thank you all for your input. Some valuable time was spent responding and I truly appreciate that.

There are a few species that would be duplicates using my system and I did forget to mention how I handle them. Duplicates are given a 2 instead of the last character (i.e. APCH2). So far this is the only glitch that I have seen in the use of my system.

My system was originally designed for personal record keeping and documentation but has also proven very useful for communication with others. This system was never intended as a sales gimmick, strictly for speeding up documentation and communication. I only posted here so others might get some use from a system that works very well for myself.

Based on most of the feedback received I will be including the complete scientific name along with the abbreviation in the future. I am a firm believer that communication in our hobby needs to be clear and concise, and certainly don’t want to add any confusion.

Again, Thank you all,

Scott

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Scott - I just wanted to commend your response.

That was very nice, considering you were nearly getting flamed for a while. :rolleyes:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I think you're idea was great! But I too, prefer the full sci names. And, good luck getting everyone to use THOSE names, let alone a new system! Hey, remember when they tried to convince America that we sould go metric! That was hilarious!

But, great suggestion, and I just might "borrow" it for my personal use! (I'll give it back when I'm done, I promise!;) )

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
MAJOR compliments on your calm, polite response Scott. I haven't read the boards a lot lately, but as I read through this thread I couldn't believe how blatantly (and needlessly) antagonistic the majority of the posts in it are.

Since your intent was stated as an effort to simplify something for everyones benifit (and that point was so clearly ignored by most of the responses) thanks for at least trying.

Had it been me, I'd have been pretty offended by the pointless jabs posted and the 8th grade mentality designed to egg on those doing the flaming. But then, maybe it's just all this sand in my vag---!

Oh well! ;)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I adopted Scott's abbreviations in my Excel spreadsheet that I keep for my Ts.
It took me a bit at first, but I find it useful for myself.
Scott is a great guy that I've done quite a few breeding loans with. I think he was just trying to be helpful!