Methods of securing lids of frequent escapees besides stacking things on top.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I use painter's tape for all my securing needs. It is colorful, and easily removeable. If the regular painter's tape is not sticky enough, you can get extra adhesive kinds for a few dollars more. $15 in tape has secured dozens of my tanks, and not just for the T's. I also use it to tape shut the glass doors on my snake tanks, to keep heat mats stuck to tanks, for mounting thermometers, and even for making handles on a sliding glass tank door that was lacking them. Very versatile stuff, and I dont know what I would do without it.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've used two kinds of store bought tank clips.

One was a set of black squared-off metal ones which I didn't like because they were very stiff and came off completely every time you wanted to open the lid, but which I suspect would work well for something with a lot of strength. Also sometimes I use plexi lids which sit in the lip of the tank, and they were pretty much useless with these as they didn't have enough spring to them to press down on the lower style lid.

The other was a set of whitemetal semicircles which stayed on the tank nicely and had enough spring to them to hold something that doesn't sit on top of the edge. I don't think a T would be able to get past these, but a snake might if they were seated wrong or something.

This picture has both kinds. Both appear to be made by FourPaws.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
at wal-mart they sell crappy-looking locking lids in the pet section for 10g aquariums

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Several of my tanks are the type with the sliding lids which, unless you left it open, are pretty well ecsape proof.
My other 5 and ten gallon tanks have the heaver metal type tops you get at pet stores. I have yet to have T get out of one of these either, they are just to heavy.
As far as critter keepers go, I use these also, and as long as the T. you put in them is not to small they have proved ecscape proof to me also.

As far as locking mechanisms, I don't use them, I find them an unnecesary pain.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We all have (or had) them--Ts that excel at popping the lid of their enclosure off enough to escape (aquarium/terrarium type enclosures). Besides putting the dictionaries and phone books to use (which looks tacky and is a pain) does anyone have a method for keeping the lids securely in place?

--the nature boy
Sure, you can use some sort of mechanical device (tape, velcro, etc.) on the lids themselves but all of this looks tacky. I find that my T's normally push the lids up with their front or back legs so I just clip them off at the second joint. Works perfectly and their legs keep coming back somehow... ;P

the_mask86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well is it still a risk for the Ts to pop open the lid if its a lock on kind? those that come on exoterra's breeder boxes?
i heard of Ts chewing through plastic tho.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well is it still a risk for the Ts to pop open the lid if its a lock on kind? those that come on exoterra's breeder boxes?
i heard of Ts chewing through plastic tho.
I've never had a T get out of an enclosure with a locking lid. Also, I've never heard of Ts chewing through plastic. If this is possible, I've never seen it and I've regularly kept larger Ts in the large deli containers which are made of very thin plastic.

Last edited:

ghost6303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I find that my T's normally push the lids up with their front or back legs so I just clip them off at the second joint. Works perfectly and their legs keep coming back somehow... ;P
i hope that was a joke...? :?

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Okay okay... Before people start losing their heads - Yes, that was a joke. And so was the post implying that there was no joke. All of my Ts have all of their legs and I use a combination of tape and stacking to prevent escapees. :D

Boomer4es

Arachnopeon
Elastic bungee cords. If you space them evenly, it just elevates the tank a bit but doesn't make it unstable.

I have also built a wooden frame that covers the normal lid and can be painted to look nice. It is plenty heavy and lifts right off.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Elastic bungee cords. If you space them evenly, it just elevates the tank a bit but doesn't make it unstable.

I have also built a wooden frame that covers the normal lid and can be painted to look nice. It is plenty heavy and lifts right off.
This thread is close to 13 years old, but I give you credit for doing research and finding it, lol.

I have never had a tarantula pop a lid off.

Boomer4es

Arachnopeon
This thread is close to 13 years old, but I give you credit for doing research and finding it, lol.

I have never had a tarantula pop a lid off.
Haha, yeah. I didn't notice until after I posted. I have been doing some extra research lately for a large T I am getting and had some concerns about it's strength and lid security.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Haha, yeah. I didn't notice until after I posted. I have been doing some extra research lately for a large T I am getting and had some concerns about it's strength and lid security.
awesome, and welcome to the boards. What species are you picking up?

Boomer4es

Arachnopeon
awesome, and welcome to the boards. What species are you picking up?
Sericopelma rubronitens. Panama red rump. I have read that they can get quite massive. Other places have said no more than 5". The information, even in these forums is quite sparse. Just making sure I have my bases covered and wondered if anyone had a more elegant solution to this issue than my own. I think I will stick with mine.