Mexican Red Knee sling not eating yet

rohrrocks

Arachnopeon
We have had our tarantula for 2 weeks. We moved it into a 3"x 3"×5" enclosure 2 weeks ago. We have been keeping the temperature around 75 degrees C and the humidity goes from 70 and 80. It stays under an ornament and never comes out. We have been trying to feed it mealworms or crickets and it ignores the food. What can we do?

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
It might be fat enough already or not yet settled in.
Pics would help!

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
There are many reasons a tarantula won't eat. They can take a while to settle in (2 weeks isn't a long time), they could be in premolt, or they might not be hungry. How big is your tarantula and how are the prey you're trying to feed? If they are too big, the tarantula won't go for them. Try prekilling prey and leaving it near the hide. Slings will scavenge. I would recommend posting a picture of the tarantula and the enclosure so more experienced keepers can see if there is anything wrong with either. Welcome to the boards and congrats on your new Brachypelma hamorii or smithi!
(ps we try to use scientific naming for species as common names can refer to multiple species and some species have multiple common names 😆 It can get pretty confusing lol)

rohrrocks

Arachnopeon
There are many reasons a tarantula won't eat. They can take a while to settle in (2 weeks isn't a long time), they could be in premolt, or they might not be hungry. How big is your tarantula and how are the prey you're trying to feed? If they are too big, the tarantula won't go for them. Try prekilling prey and leaving it near the hide. Slings will scavenge. I would recommend posting a picture of the tarantula and the enclosure so more experienced keepers can see if there is anything wrong with either. Welcome to the boards and congrats on your new Brachypelma hamorii or smithi!
(ps we try to use scientific naming for species as common names can refer to multiple species and some species have multiple common names 😆 It can get pretty confusing lol)
It's a smithi. Here are a couple of pics. The humidity was a little high in one pic, but we have since regulated it. It's full span is about the size of a quarter.

One more pic. The probe is used to track temperature and humidity. It stays under the skull ornament.

Attachments

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't worry at all about humidity. Especially with the T you have. Great way to get into trouble.

The T looks at a good weight. Could go several weeks without eating at that size.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
If it isn’t eating after two weeks, just wait longer. There is no tarantula that needs to eat regularly. You are not going to starve it to death.

rohrrocks

Arachnopeon
It's my first tarantula. I just don't want it to die on me. It was couriered to a pet store. Then 2 days later we bought it and drove it home which was another 2 hours in transit. It has a bald spot on its butt. I read that it could be stressed or it's marking it's territory. If I feed it a partial, freshly killed mealworm, how long can I leave it in the enclosure?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It's my first tarantula. I just don't want it to die on me. It was couriered to a pet store. Then 2 days later we bought it and drove it home which was another 2 hours in transit. It has a bald spot on its butt. I read that it could be stressed or it's marking it's territory. If I feed it a partial, freshly killed mealworm, how long can I leave it in the enclosure?
a day then remove before molding. Here’s a good guide here

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't worry at all about humidity. Especially with the T you have. Great way to get into trouble
this right here. "Care sheets" and pet stores that do not specifically deal in inverts can give bad or misguided advice.

Here’s a good guide here
^This

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
It's a smithi. Here are a couple of pics. The humidity was a little high in one pic, but we have since regulated it. It's full span is about the size of a quarter.
Awwww what a cutie!

It has a bald spot on its butt. I read that it could be stressed or it's marking it's territory.
I wouldn't be worried about the bald spot. Kicking hairs is a pretty natural occurence. Some tarantulas will kick hairs more than others. It varies pretty greatly between specimens and doesn't necessarily correlate with stress or bad husbandry. Some will incorporate hairs into their webbing to help deter predators which is pretty cool 😁👍

cold blood

Staff member
The humidity was a little high in one pic, but we have since regulated it.
This is a great way to kill your spider.
. I just don't want it to die on me.
Then throw away or return the hygrometer and stop worrying about humidity....you will do better by simplifying things. You simply need to keep the enclosure dry with a water dish...its literally that easy.