might start breeding pretty soon.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
lmao whatever happened to "women are always right"?
we are.. this is how we do it. We allow our men to think they are getting their way, then we do what we know we have to do and then when it works out we let them think it was their idea all along. This way, everyone's happy. ;) (j/k by the way.. mostly)

Its actually totally logical considering that a male's lifespan is about 3-4 times shorter than a female. Does that huge lifespan disparity make sense to his logic? Males die 2-3 times before a similiarly sized sling female matures. This disparity helps keep spiders from the same sac from breeding together in the wild.

---------- Post added 11-24-2014 at 03:20 PM ----------

She's got purple hair, and therefore her husband knows she cannot be fully trusted. :laugh:
you would think. I'm getting the TKG I think for my birthday, I'll show him all of this stuff then.

also.... my hair doesn't preclude me from being trustworthy.... TRUST me!! *WEG*

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
we are.. this is how we do it. We allow our men to think they are getting their way, then we do what we know we have to do and then when it works out we let them think it was their idea all along. This way, everyone's happy. ;) (j/k by the way.. mostly)
lol actually we let you think that we think we are getting our way. when in reality we know that we truly arnt. but we do not say anything and just remain with a smile on our faces, so that women can keep their whole, "we are always right" saying and mentality. because after all if you guys are happy, then us men, are indeed happy too.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
+1 I see this all the time and am left wondering who is being duped into believing those t's of the same size will ever have a chance of being the "breeding pair" they are hoping for. Once you understand t's and their growth, maturity, etc., everything becomes quite logical.
+1 Yeah must be a sales tactic to trick noobs very odd.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My husband and I had a mini argument last night because he INSISTS that I'm wrong about the growth rate of tarantulas. He doesn't think it makes sense that the males grow so fast.
And he's basing his argument on what, a complete lacking of information and experience? I bred my first T 40 years ago, and he knows more about it than I do?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
And he's basing his argument on what, a complete lacking of information and experience? I bred my first T 40 years ago, and he knows more about it than I do?
+1 Yeah Males always grow slower , I kept Ts for about 12 years never seen a female outgrow a male. I keep room temp mostly 70-80 degrees.

jtipton

Arachnopeon
+1 Yeah must be a sales tactic to trick noobs very odd.
Well being a noob myself I can say that I've seen them advertised that way on several sites and it is pretty tempting to buy them. I've been in this hobby for less than a month and I was trying to get the money up to buy a pair like that. Thank goodness I found this thread first and had my mind changed. I'm glad that there are more experienced keepers here that are willing to help us noobs out.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Well being a noob myself I can say that I've seen them advertised that way on several sites and it is pretty tempting to buy them. I've been in this hobby for less than a month and I was trying to get the money up to buy a pair like that. Thank goodness I found this thread first and had my mind changed. I'm glad that there are more experienced keepers here that are willing to help us noobs out.
Yes these deals are better for you if you already have an adult female of this species, good deal for older breeders. I like to help out new keepers not leave them in the dark. :) , sometimes they do stay in hobby longer than some current keepers. Back when I joined 2011 lot of keepers are already gone , keepers from 2007 are mostly gone too,. T keeping isn't for those who give up quickly , some species take 5-10 years to be adult sized.

Last edited:

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
yeah I was tempted too myself. even though I knew that the males will grow a lot faster I didn't realize that the pairs would be sold with both a male and female of practically the same size. so yeah I guess buying those pairs wouldn't be a smart thing to do.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I see this, then jamies blk friday with some sexed pairs at 2" xs so sad imo

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I see this, then jamies blk friday with some sexed pairs at 2" xs so sad imo

A sexed pair of juveniles is fine if you have a subadult/adult female. Then you can use the male when he matures.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
A sexed pair of juveniles is fine if you have a subadult/adult female. Then you can use the male when he matures.
i think he meant they were both 2", which in that case wouldnt really be good. anyways ive got a 3-3.5" female B. smithi. should i buy a few slings now or wait for it to grow some more?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
i think he meant they were both 2", which in that case wouldnt really be good. anyways ive got a 3-3.5" female B. smithi. should i buy a few slings now or wait for it to grow some more?
That's a good size for spacing them out. A few 1" slings would be good as potential male suitors.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
That's a good size for spacing them out. A few 1" slings would be good as potential male suitors.
okay thanks for all the help and advice on this thread by the way. i will probably buy the slings (if i can find them) with my next paycheck.