Millipede fungus cure

SDCPs

Arachnolord
This never quite got rid of the fungus on mine...it kept coming back in one locality but never grew very big or very fast.

The millipede dropped dead one day less than full size and was the only one of my AGBs to do so. It was a male.

So it doesn't work every time.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Aww, sorry man. That's a terrible loss :(
Yeah, considering I purchased it for $135 when I didn't know any better. :sarcasm:

Here's an excerpt from my webpage on the subject:

"The cause of fungus can be rather surprising. Rather than too much moisture, the cause could be too little. This seems contradictory until we consider the fact that millipedes kept in dry conditions are not in a proper environment and will be stressed and weakened. And fungus is usually a consequence of a weak immune system. I know that one retailer of African Giant Black millipedes complained of heavy losses despite the fact that AGBs are a hardy species. He admittedly kept the millipedes in a fairly dry environment, similar to the deserts of Africa (in which millipedes do not live), and advised all his customers to do the same. A male millipede I received from him and paid $135 for arrived with a small amount of the seemingly species-specific thread/hairlike fungus directly under the head on the first few front legs. After battling the fungus with fungicure with it for over half a year, the millipede died. I was not happy."

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh man that's awful. I guess it's a warning not to trust everything sellers say.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Oh man that's awful. I guess it's a warning not to trust everything sellers say.
Yeah, you definitely cannot do that. Even if they are reputable it is a good idea to question their views for yourself and see if they make sense based on your experience and what others say.

Back to the topic, a German author suggested a fungal medication but said that in the majority of circumstances the millipedes do not survive even with treatment. I suppose the reason is once the fungus manifests itself the millipede has been on the decline for some time already. The treatment is just more stress and can even make things worse. Also keep in mind that fungus on the exoskeleton of the millipede is probably in the body of the millipede....what is on the exoskeleton can just be the fruiting part of the fungus (someone correct me if I am mistaken here) and thus treatment may not actually fix the problem.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
UPDATE: The A. gigas I treated is still alive and doing well. She has not redeveloped any type of fungal infection. She has molted and is about 12 inches.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It looks like you really hit on something there and the time duration is bearing this out. I would venture the hypothesis that there are natural chemical fungi interrupters found in their normal habitat and you have hit on a suitable readily available substitute. Living in the rain forest like we are is like living in a war zone and I have often wondered what keeps the fungi in check. Inside the house we constantly have to use powerful fungicides. So how do the animals, especially the detrivores resist being overwhelmed? And on that note I have to go water seal a door downstairs that suddenly became coated in that white fluffy fungi.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It looks like you really hit on something there and the time duration is bearing this out. I would venture the hypothesis that there are natural chemical fungi interrupters found in their normal habitat and you have hit on a suitable readily available substitute. Living in the rain forest like we are is like living in a war zone and I have often wondered what keeps the fungi in check. Inside the house we constantly have to use powerful fungicides. So how do the animals, especially the detrivores resist being overwhelmed? And on that note I have to go water seal a door downstairs that suddenly became coated in that white fluffy fungi.
Yes, I too am often amazed at the anti-fungal physiological properties that must exist in detritivores.

lagomorphette

Arachnosquire
I'm grateful to have found this thread! I'm going to try this treatment on my mature adult female A. gigas. Please wish me luck!

I'll try posting photos of the progress to help any others who may run into this issue...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The internet's our new parents haha, it knows everything, jk. You might want to dilute it, maybe 50/50, I didn't even think to try that.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update: I tried the same medicine on a few other species that had black discoloration under their exoskeleton. This discoloration began at the legs (which in some cases had rotted off) and went on the sides and top of only one or two segment. There was no white "feathery" mycelial growth as was on my A. gigas. The application (which was applied 4 times every 3 days) did nothing. All of the millipedes died.

Last edited:

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh man that's awful :( My condolences.
Thanks. Ya, it's a big bummer. I had a BUNCH of babies die too and my enclosures are ideal. The good thing is I am learning a lot and realizing that even under the best conditions, breeding millipedes is not easy.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
Thanks. Ya, it's a big bummer. I had a BUNCH of babies die too and my enclosures are ideal. The good thing is I am learning a lot and realizing that even under the best conditions, breeding millipedes is not easy.
Oh my condolences..

I'll bump this thread up for future reference

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello Cracker, that might have been a bacterial infection, not a fungal infection, if so it might explain seeing no results. Maybe if there were some antibiotics hanging around, you could've opened a capsule and dumped it in some water and painted it on in places. Or maybe Neosporin could've helped(?)

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Cracker, that might have been a bacterial infection, not a fungal infection, if so it might explain seeing no results. Maybe if there were some antibiotics hanging around, you could've opened a capsule and dumped it in some water and painted it on in places. Or maybe Neosporin could've helped(?)
I had not considered that. That's a good idea. I will try that in the future. Thanks again. :biggrin:

lagomorphette

Arachnosquire
Just as a follow-up: I treated my A. gigas with several doses of antifungal cream, as described on this thread. I wore latex gloves, thankfully, because she was not stoked to be poked and prodded with a cream-tipped ear swab.

Two and a half months later, she is still with me. The vast majority of the fungus has cleared up--the last time I checked her, there was only a small patch near her mouth that hadn't been eliminated. Unfortunately, she seems to have lost the majority of her mites during the treatment. I'm crossing my fingers that enough of them survived to repopulate, but time will tell.

I had hoped to take photos, but I soon learned that I wouldn't have a spare hand to do so while treating her. Sorry about that.

But at least I can report back and note some success.

I'll post again if there are any changes...