Mold growing in enclosure?

drusila

Arachnopeon
Hi guys. I recently noticed I've had this white spotted mold popping up in my A. chalcodes' enclosure. So far I've just been removing the substrate where the mold appears, but after a week or two it seems to pop up again, sometimes in different places. The crazy thing is that this enclosure is pretty dry, like only moist near the water dish. I have several more "humid" enclosures with no mold issues at all. This is pretty much the only enclosure where I've noticed mold. I keep removing the areas where it appears, but is there any way I can stop this? She's currently buried in her burrow, sealed off & guarding an egg sac (fingers crossed for babies!) so I can't do a full substrate change for a while, and this enclosure has only been set up like this since around December. I have springtails in all my enclosures, and the substrate is a mix of reptisoil & cocofiber.

1000033172.jpg 1000033174.jpg

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I use reptisoil, never coco, and I see the stuff in the left picture, in my tanks where I'm more generous with moisture and/or aim to keep the lower levels moist. I especially see it when the tank gets some light fall from the sun (never direct, just compared to the dark side of the room)

It's usually considered to be harmless, but it's essentially eating the organic matter...so your substrate... And it's usually said that drying out the tank helps. The other factor is ventilation, but I see holes at the substrate line 😍, but if there is no overturning of the substrate at lower levels, it will thrive.

If you have the ventilation where it needs to be, I personally wouldn't add any more moisture and would double check that there's nothing wicking it out of the water dish, in fact I would move it as far away from its existing spot to give that area time to dry.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Checkout the millions of other posts on here exactly like yours, you’ll learn a lot

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Check my recent post on mold but it . Won’t help until your done with the baby’s :artist: !..