Molting

cold blood

Staff member
Of course they do. They have to. These creatures have existed for a very long time, and on their own in the wild they have no choice. I can't help but think my two wild caught Aphonopelmas have an easier existence in my care, but in the wild they would not have me constantly worrying about their safety and well being. Ultimately they would be on their own. We as caregivers must try to trust their instincts and only be there when they need us, however, sometimes their needs are not the same as ours. They know what to do. The hardest part is letting them do it.
+1 I generally wait until I see the t set up in a hunting posture, when I see this, I know they are ready. If you really pay close attention, they will clue you in as to when they are ready to begin feeding again. I think 10 days is the longest I have ever waited for any t, and that's for my old porteri. My G. pulchripes waited a full week, then it was on like donkey kong. Most of my t's are younger, so obviously they are ready to feed much quicker, some in as little as 48-72 hours.