Moon Crab

bevans dad

Arachnopeon
hey all,
I'm a touch concerned, i'm had a moon crab for about 3 months now, and he's a funny little bugger, loves climbing about. We had a minor earthquake a couple of months ago in England, scared the life out of him so he started hiding more (is this normal?).

But my main concern is that I returned from a trip home and have just noticed he is missing the bottom part of one of his legs, I'm guessing this isn't normal. What should I do? Advice please!!!

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know this thread is old. Sorry. Has anyone had any luck breeding these? I would like to buy some captive breed individuals and see if I can get them to breed. One post above (CSP_Joe) said he had 2 females and one male together for 18 months but did not mention offspring. I am only interested in them if I can get captive breed animals and get them to breed in captivity. Any breeders out there? Do you see them at shows now? If so, do you know if they are all pulled out of their local habitat and shipped to the U. S.? Thanks.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mid 80s can be achieved with a pretty small bulb so no worries there. Never really use heat pads anyhow because if one failed I wouldn't know, but a bulb goes out and it's hard to miss.
If you use a bulb, keep a very close eye on your humidity. Most land crabs need 70-80%, to keep their modified gills moist.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know this thread is old. Sorry. Has anyone had any luck breeding these? I would like to buy some captive breed individuals and see if I can get them to breed. One post above (CSP_Joe) said he had 2 females and one male together for 18 months but did not mention offspring. I am only interested in them if I can get captive breed animals and get them to breed in captivity. Any breeders out there? Do you see them at shows now? If so, do you know if they are all pulled out of their local habitat and shipped to the U. S.? Thanks.
as far as I know, no no one has bred them due to the fact that they need tidal events to spawn, however. there is a smaller species of land cra that is vibrantly coloured and has been bred in capitivity.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as far as I know, no no one has bred them due to the fact that they need tidal events to spawn, however. there is a smaller species of land cra that is vibrantly coloured and has been bred in capitivity.
Thanks. Do you know the species name?

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
i have a baby one of these i got at a show. the breeder said these are surprisingly easy to breed and he showed me the parent crabs tank setup and it was so simple. my rep. room is about 80 degrees and my baby crab i bought loves it. i will post photos of his setup soon.

lizardminion

Arachnolord
i have a baby one of these i got at a show. the breeder said these are surprisingly easy to breed and he showed me the parent crabs tank setup and it was so simple. my rep. room is about 80 degrees and my baby crab i bought loves it. i will post photos of his setup soon.
Your talking about the vampire crabs, correct?