most dangerous

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LD50 are ok for mice but I am thinking,what is the most dangerous to man.
Also,in terms of aggression......
Which one would you say is an OBT and which a rosea for instance :D
or are they both H.gigas....You know what I mean :D
Paul
Ok, here's how LD50 works. Greater potency in mice = greater potency in humans. HOWEVER, the exact LEVEL of toxicity is what does not correspond to humans. For instance, an LD50 0.30 in mice is more toxic in BOTH humans and mice, than an LD50 0.90. BUT, 0.30 and 0.90 are not the actual potency in humans.

The relationship between LD50 values stays the same: more potent = more potent. The mathematical mg/kg rating is almost always far more potent in humans than in mice. We just use them as a comparison test bed. If the LD50 in mice is 50.00 mg/kg, it's not going to be significantly toxic for humans until dosage becomes gigantic. If the LD50 in mice is 0.30, it definitely will be highly toxic in humans also.

Generally, LD50 in mice indicates far LESS toxicity than actually is the case for people: we are MORE susceptible than the LD50 values indicate.

LD50 IS VERY important in estimating approximate toxicity to humans. That chart you were given is entirely relevant and you should take it seriously.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok, here's how LD50 works. Greater potency in mice = greater potency in humans. HOWEVER, the exact LEVEL of toxicity is what does not correspond to humans. For instance, an LD50 0.30 in mice is more toxic in BOTH humans and mice, than an LD50 0.90. BUT, 0.30 and 0.90 are not the actual potency in humans.

The relationship between LD50 values stays the same: more potent = more potent. The mathematical mg/kg rating is almost always far more potent in humans than in mice. We just use them as a comparison test bed. If the LD50 in mice is 50.00 mg/kg, it's not going to be significantly toxic for humans until dosage becomes gigantic. If the LD50 in mice is 0.30, it definitely will be highly toxic in humans also.

Generally, LD50 in mice indicates far LESS toxicity than actually is the case for people: we are MORE susceptible than the LD50 values indicate.

LD50 IS VERY important in estimating approximate toxicity to humans. That chart you were given is entirely relevant and you should take it seriously.
Thank you for explaining :D
Appreciated.
On another point,sicarius are far more dangerous than any other spider or scorpion and there is no anti-venom available for this species.
There have only been 2 documented cases of bites in humans.One person died and the other lost an arm.These are not on the DWA and available over here....even Sicarius hahni....the worst of all.
The DWA is floored.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you for explaining :D
Appreciated.
On another point,sicarius are far more dangerous than any other spider or scorpion and there is no anti-venom available for this species.
There have only been 2 documented cases of bites in humans.One person died and the other lost an arm.These are not on the DWA and available over here....even Sicarius hahni....the worst of all.
The DWA is floored.
LOL, you're kidding, they don't have Sicarius on the DWA list?? ROFL!

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LOL, you're kidding, they don't have Sicarius on the DWA list?? ROFL!
No they do not mate.....can get them here as well...
Could have got a few Sicarius terrosus a few weeks ago and although I don't think these are as bad as Hahni.......they are still lethal.
Are they on your DWA then ?
There is talk of them going on the list but as of yet,they are not.
You can even get Macrothele gigas here which are also not in the list......strange really
Paul

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No they do not mate.....can get them here as well...
Could have got a few Sicarius terrosus a few weeks ago and although I don't think these are as bad as Hahni.......they are still lethal.
Are they on your DWA then ?
There is talk of them going on the list but as of yet,they are not.
You can even get Macrothele gigas here which are also not in the list......strange really
Paul
S. hahni and S. terrosus venom arent very far apart in potency. Anyways I agree the most venomous is the one that just stung you, just play it safe and you'll be allright. I believe the DWA liscense is very expensive so it isnt common for people to get them there.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sicarius frighten me mate.
Very scary spiders
Although they may be close,S.Hahni is the one spider I will not even go in the same room as.
Paul

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Are you saying that a mouse's immune system is better equipped to deal with scorpion venom than a human's is?