Music and Tarantulas.

Corranthe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
People have mentioned specifically how female Ts have reacted. I wonder if, based on reaction, the vibrations from music could be used as an alternate form of sexing? ~shrug~ Just a thought.

shaft3500

Arachnopeon
{D As a musician, I'm very interested to hear you sing.
just some old rat pack songs and whatever alt country tunes i've got stuck in my head at the moment.

Interesting hypothesis on sexing. i will tell my friend who is a entomology major. may be a good idea for a thesis.

tweetygt

Arachnopeon
My husband plays bass in a metal band and when he pratices my B.vagan comes out and stays out til he stops. If he plays anything other than metal she wont come out. I think she is a little metal head too {D

Ungweliante

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I always had the impression that loud music with particularly lots of bass was harmful to tarantulas.

Then again, I guess you could turn the idea around. An environment without any stimuli could be horribly boring, although here some of the scientific tarantula enthusiasts will insert a comment about a tarantula being unable to be bored and an unmoving tarantula is a happy one. God knows, I guess. Particularly my seemanni and rosea seem to be sensitive to seasons and practically never move during wintertime. One would think that they would be extremely bored then?

However, if I remember right, some tarantulas burrow for the winter and only come out in the spring? And basically nobody knows what they do in their burrows during that time, although many have guessed that they do absolutely nothing. Perhaps they indeed don't need any outside stimuli to be "happy" ?

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Want to see something wicked? Throw in some paul oakenfold and aim it towards your P. murinus and watch as it breaks out glow sticks and jumps around wildly.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
{D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D

I'm heading for the strobe lights.....

Lords of Acid coming UP!!!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I always had the impression that loud music with particularly lots of bass was harmful to tarantulas.

a lot of stuff in our hobby is just parrot talk. someone says it originally, and might even caveat it... but just the like "sound bite" gets "quoted" and requoted until it is sort of "common knowledge"... but it never gets tested or substantiated

all indications i have found is that music will hurt humans before it hurts my bugs (granted, i have only kept like ~100 species out of thousands in the hobby (not just tara, obviously)). i mean... my room mates pink toe molted two or three times in the most insanely loud music i have ever heard coming from a house. my room mate's monitoring speakers cost thousands of dollars and could make it hard for me to breathe!

dydek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think that they do not react to the music but they react when your desk/floor etc. start shaking from the basses.
:)

sandybanjo

Arachnopeon
OK.......I'll continue my "experiment". Just saw the threads on this..... Thanks!

cold blood

Staff member
I hear ya, I just didn't want you expecting responses from those that posted.;)