My bearded dragon's yellow fungus help!

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Forget it... I live in a house... not a lab/ hospital... the fungus is no doubt everywhere... It's pointless to think that I could decontaminate my house completely... and even if I did... the source... my beardie... would continue to introduce fungus to the environment and I can't afford to remodel my house to create a negative pressure room. Im screwed.... just screwed. I have several mature males out on breeding loans/that have been bred. If I get a sack... what am I supposed to do? Keep hundreds of slings for the rest of my life and never send them to anyone? So am I just doomed to never be able to be a part of this hobby or own any reptiles or make contact with anyone or anything that might have contact with reptiles for the rest of my life? What about the wild reptiles around the outside my house?.... Oh they probably have the fungus now... hmmm... I guess I also have to worry about that now too...and any other reptiles they have been around and so on and so on. No doubt the whole continent is now flooded with CANV! I guess I also can't go to any reptile/ invert shows or any LPS's for the rest of my life too out of fear that I might look at something funny and introduce a deadly reptile killing disease! Maybe I will just live in a bubble with my bearded dragon and my T collection for the rest of my life! AHHHHHH!

That is my rant... lol

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Forget it... I live in a house... not a lab/ hospital... the fungus is no doubt everywhere... It's pointless to think that I could decontaminate my house completely... and even if I did... the source... my beardie... would continue to introduce fungus to the environment and I can't afford to remodel my house to create a negative pressure room. Im screwed.... just screwed. I have several mature males out on breeding loans/that have been bred. If I get a sack... what am I supposed to do? Keep hundreds of slings for the rest of my life and never send them to anyone? So am I just doomed to never be able to be a part of this hobby or own any reptiles or make contact with anyone or anything that might have contact with reptiles for the rest of my life? What about the wild reptiles around the outside my house?.... Oh they probably have the fungus now... hmmm... I guess I also have to worry about that now too...and any other reptiles they have been around and so on and so on. No doubt the whole continent is now flooded with CANV! I guess I also can't go to any reptile/ invert shows or any LPS's for the rest of my life too out of fear that I might look at something funny and introduce a deadly reptile killing disease! Maybe I will just live in a bubble with my bearded dragon and my T collection for the rest of my life! AHHHHHH!

That is my rant... lol
Join the club. They've got jackets. You may feel absolutely assured you aren't alone. And all things considered, just ignoring the issue will probably not have any major consequences. But on the other foot, a simple mistake or overly casual attitude with the African honey bee, The gypsy moth, rabbits in Australia, the mongoose and black snake on hundreds of Pacific Islands, goats on other islands and the list goes on and on and on.

If we've got frontal lobes we might as well use them.,

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Whatever form of CANV it is that I am dealing with I don't thinks it's an overly dangerous strain. My beardie has had it most of his life and it doesn't seem be progressing... without any sort of heavy duty treatment accept for silver sulfide cream and an oral antifungal but he was only taking these for a few months. Now I am just being sure to give him his vitamins and I also occasionally put water with dissolved diflucan in it ontop of his greens. I haven't been doing any kind of serious treatment lately because the fungal infection doesn't seem to be progressing. However I am about to start him back up on some strongeranti fungals and lots of silver sulfide cream. Another indication that the fungus is not a particularly dangerous strain is the fact that I have a veiled chameleon a couple rooms over who has lived with us for roughly 2 years and has shown zero signs of infection. So based on these facts I'm going to do this. I am going to move my beardie a few rooms over and try to cleanse the room as best I can. Then I will avoid selling to anyone with a large reptile collection or anyone who keeps reptiles near their tarantulas without warning them and educating them about the fungus. Any comments? Good plan? Bad plan?

The Snark

Old Timer
Whatever form of CANV it is that I am dealing with I don't thinks it's an overly dangerous strain. My beardie has had it most of his life and it doesn't seem be progressing... without any sort of heavy duty treatment accept for silver sulfide cream and an oral antifungal but he was only taking these for a few months. Now I am just being sure to give him his vitamins and I also occasionally put water with dissolved diflucan in it ontop of his greens. I haven't been doing any kind of serious treatment lately because the fungal infection doesn't seem to be progressing. However I am about to start him back up on some strongeranti fungals and lots of silver sulfide cream. Another indication that the fungus is not a particularly dangerous strain is the fact that I have a veiled chameleon a couple rooms over who has lived with us for roughly 2 years and has shown zero signs of infection. So based on these facts I'm going to do this. I am going to move my beardie a few rooms over and try to cleanse the room as best I can. Then I will avoid selling to anyone with a large reptile collection or anyone who keeps reptiles near their tarantulas without warning them and educating them about the fungus. Any comments? Good plan? Bad plan?
Sounds workable. I'd obtain two other reptiles, any kind that is known susceptible to the fungi. Partition his enclosure and put one in there and keep the other, the control, as far away and isolated as possible. Then observe for a month or two. Of course if the two test reptiles come down with an equal case the chances are your supplier is selling infected animals.

Last edited:

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Sounds workable. I'd obtain two other reptiles, any kind that is known susceptible to the fungi. Partition his enclosure and put one in there and keep the other, the control, as far away and isolated as possible. Then observe for a month or two. Of course if the two test reptiles come down with an equal case the chances are your supplier is selling infected animals.
I don't know how I feel about sacrificing reptiles lol. Maybe there is some lab I can send samples to and find the exact strain of fungi? Whatever it is its not contagious enough to infect a succeptable animal who has definatey had some exposure to the fungus for the last few years.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
I don't know how I feel about sacrificing reptiles lol. Maybe there is some lab I can send samples to and find the exact strain of fungi? Whatever it is its not contagious enough to infect a succeptable animal who has definatey had some exposure to the fungus for the last few years.
I think the lab is a good idea personally. Internet speculation is good and all to a degree. But if you have an actual ID the "battle" becomes easier :).

It's too bad the vet wasn't able to tell you the exact strain you were dealing with. When you're paying the prices they charge you'd hope they'd have more answers. Vets sometimes though :sarcasm:...

The Snark

Old Timer
Unfortunately it looks like Ma Nature's clean up crew, the fungi, is putting in a little overtime right now. Whether this has always happened periodically and we are just paying more attention, or the entire planetary ecosystem has become severely out of whack there are numerous species heading straight for extinction right now from various fungi infections. Undoubtedly humans are prime contributors to this, moving spores to areas where there is no built in checks and balance in place, along with our trashing the climate in general.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
So if I get slings back from any of my MM's who have been sent out on 50/50 loans... What should I do? just be sure that anyone I am selling to doesn't have any reptiles in their T room?