My Chaco Golden Knee Spiderling lost both pedipalps! Help!

ThirteenthAngel

Arachnopeon
Very informative webpage! Thank you :) I tried to look at the underside of my rose when it was on the side of the glass... It looks like it has the smaller triangle thing between the book lungs, does that mean it is a girl or boy T? I am trying to tell by looking at pics... man it is difficult! I tried petting her butt, but she seemed a bit skiddish. She didn't go in a threatening position however.. So, I think it may be because she is adjusting to a new home and that is cause for the skiddish part. Also, the pet store owner told us she was fine until the other T they had next to her? in the cage with her? somehow found it's way into the scorpion cage next to it and the scorpion grabbed it and wouldn't let go... apparently it took 3 days to finally kill the T and the pet store had to keep a piece of cardboard over it. Well, apparently my T saw this go on and has been a bit skiddish since. ( According to the pet store people, who- by the way- obviously didn't know much about T's. -read my earlier posts- ) I hate that my rose saw that happen! That would suck! And I am glad I didn't walk in and see it happen either since I visit that shop alot to get crickets for my beardies. I want to know how the T got in the scorpion cage in the first place!

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Very informative webpage! Thank you :) I tried to look at the underside of my rose when it was on the side of the glass... It looks like it has the smaller triangle thing between the book lungs, does that mean it is a girl or boy T? I am trying to tell by looking at pics... man it is difficult! I tried petting her butt, but she seemed a bit skiddish. She didn't go in a threatening position however.. So, I think it may be because she is adjusting to a new home and that is cause for the skiddish part. Also, the pet store owner told us she was fine until the other T they had next to her? in the cage with her? somehow found it's way into the scorpion cage next to it and the scorpion grabbed it and wouldn't let go... apparently it took 3 days to finally kill the T and the pet store had to keep a piece of cardboard over it. Well, apparently my T saw this go on and has been a bit skiddish since. ( According to the pet store people, who- by the way- obviously didn't know much about T's. -read my earlier posts- ) I hate that my rose saw that happen! That would suck! And I am glad I didn't walk in and see it happen either since I visit that shop alot to get crickets for my beardies. I want to know how the T got in the scorpion cage in the first place!
:clap: Go pet store haha! I'm sure cardboard will work just fine... :?Don't worry, your T probably didn't "see" anything. Pet stores are usually over crowded with animals they know nothing about. T's are often not the big ticket sellers so they invest as little time as possible in them. You may get lucky and find someone who knows what they are talking about but definitely be critical. They may "think" they are giving you the right answers or just trying to sell you extra stuff or protecting themselves from having to tell you they "don't know anything" about Ts.

ThirteenthAngel

Arachnopeon
Oh trust me, I stopped listening to them the moment I got on this website and actually learned a thing or two more about my T! I even felt what they were telling me from the get go was wrong, but I thought they would know more than me... LOL! Guess I should trust my own instincts more often... regardless, I did make it a point to tell the lady who I had talked to for advice about my sling and corrected her. I was polite about it of course, because I really think she thought she knew what she was talking about when she told me to put my one inch sling in a huge glass aquarium and put a heat lamp on it as well! She really seemed to care! ( she even tried to get me to go next door to wal-mart for the cheaper glass aquariums over there.. so I don't think she was trying to make money off of me.. ) Anywho- After learning on here, I told her absolutely no heat lamps or large aquariums like that for little t's anymore! She didn't like that I was telling her she was wrong, but now she knows... And thank you to everyone for your help because now I know! :geek:

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Oh trust me, I stopped listening to them the moment I got on this website and actually learned a thing or two more about my T! I even felt what they were telling me from the get go was wrong, but I thought they would know more than me... LOL! Guess I should trust my own instincts more often... regardless, I did make it a point to tell the lady who I had talked to for advice about my sling and corrected her. I was polite about it of course, because I really think she thought she knew what she was talking about when she told me to put my one inch sling in a huge glass aquarium and put a heat lamp on it as well! She really seemed to care! ( she even tried to get me to go next door to wal-mart for the cheaper glass aquariums over there.. so I don't think she was trying to make money off of me.. ) Anywho- After learning on here, I told her absolutely no heat lamps or large aquariums like that for little t's anymore! She didn't like that I was telling her she was wrong, but now she knows... And thank you to everyone for your help because now I know! :geek:
They never want to be told that they are wrong, but maybe they will keep it in mind what you said to them. Also, not just little slings, all T's shouldn't be under a heat lamp. If it's a pet store that sells lizards, snakes and T's I would assume it is a consistant warm temperature in there that should be fine for a spider. :)

ThirteenthAngel

Arachnopeon
I would like to update that my chaco had her first molt 5 days ago and grew back both pedipalps and has a healthy appetite! I haven't fed her yet since she has molted. I read you should give them at least 5-7 days after they molt... may try to see if she wants anything tonight. Also, i think she may be a 'he', after the molt... her behind is a bit more pronounced. There is the two white spaces or empty looking spaces on either side of the 'triangle' bit I looked at in the sexing forums... When she/ he molted, the butt got messed up, otherwise, I would just check that. Can't seem to find any good tarantula places here to take her to be sexed.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm curious to know how you know the spider has a healthy appetite if you haven't attempted a feeding after the molt? :?

ThirteenthAngel

Arachnopeon
It had a healthy appetite before it molted. The post was originally made before it molted and I was afraid that since it lost its pedipalps, it would lose its appetite and die. I was jus doing an update and letting everyone know it was eating.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
are the white spaces off the "triangle" the book lungs? yours sounds about the size of mine (aroundthe size of a .50 cent piece im guessing? if it was around the size of a quarter in the 1st post) and its STILL hard to sex ventrally.. i THINK mine is a girl, but wont hold my breath... ive NEVER had a sling turn out female yet (always have to buy confirmed).. maybe this will be my 1st.. i will be able to tell with next molt probably, but that is some time away

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
Nice! They can only digest liquids but they "chew" the cricket into what is called a bolus. It's probably in the tank or the burrow. They basically build a ball and "drink" the liquid that's squeezed out. They actually have vast amounts of tiny teeth to catch microscopic particles too!

2" inches is definitely not a full grown rose, but it probably has its adult colors and looks more like an adult tarantula now. As far as advice on the rose hair read this: http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html
This is written by one of the writers of the Tarantula Keeper's Guide.

thank you!!! reading to see if anyone would post the link!

ThirteenthAngel

Arachnopeon
It's about the size of a half dollar after molting, maybe a little smaller... I am not sure if those are the book lungs.. I thought those were actually ON the abdomen, this is on either side of the 'triangle'. In females, it looks like the triangle is raised and more full with hardly no spaces on either side, but the male has a smaller 'triangle' with the spaces more prominent I think... Just starting out, so still learning... I tried to post pics and will have to try again. Good luck with your sling and hope it turns out to be female this time :)

ThirteenthAngel

Arachnopeon
I can see the book lungs below the triangle... they look like tiny slits on the abdomen, right? I'm talking about where the top of the body and the abdomen meet....

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
Where the top meets the bottom... are you looking at the pedicel? The epigastric furrow is a bit lower down between the first set of book lungs. Take a look at this site its got labelled anatomy and its hepled me greatly when I started out and had no idea either.
http://giantspiders.com/anatomy.html

ThirteenthAngel

Arachnopeon
Here is a pic of both of them. I posted them in the sexing boards. male or female? The larger one is my G. Rosea and the small sling in the plastic container is my G. Pulchripes.

Attachments