My new Psalmopoeus irminia looks a tad...underfed.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Abdomen looks really small compared to carapace imo.

Did she just lay an eggsac or something? They look really small like that after laying, don't they?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Private dealer. 'General Exotics' to be exact. Funny story: They just asked me for a testimonial. :D
You should search the proper forum that I posted an inquiry about them in,and reply,or start a proper review thread. They have great prices,but something seemed off,so we did not order from them.Also heard about wrong orders and bad service. I say it is review time...

Verneph

Arachnosquire
You should search the proper forum that I posted an inquiry about them in,and reply,or start a proper review thread. They have great prices,but something seemed off,so we did not order from them.Also heard about wrong orders and bad service. I say it is review time...
I was thinking about it. Their service and delivery was fine, but if all their animals are delivered in this state... :(

Anyway, I've decided to name her 'Morrigan'. She was busily redecorating her hide and webbing up some crickets to eat later last night. Her abdomen is looking a lot better. Next time I catch her out of her hide, I'll post some pics. :)

Thanks everyone.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
i read a review somewhere that said that G.E. are like the middle man and the animals actually come from a few major reptile import companies in the US.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
i read a review somewhere that said that G.E. are like the middle man and the animals actually come from a few major reptile import companies in the US.
That would make good sense as a lot of their stock is WC.

Verneph

Arachnosquire
I can believe that. They have a huge variety of different pets for sale, far beyond just T's. Makes sense to have several suppliers to buy different animals from, then up-sell the pets to a consumer.

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Bump and sorry for the double post.

I promised I'd post some pics next time I could, and after a week of hiding Morrigan has finally decided to show up for a photo op.

As you can see, she is looking a lot better. Thank you everyone for giving advice during this situation.

VickyChaiTea

Arachnosquire
Wow, she looks amazing. <3 I'm glad she fattened up for you. I don't really know much about Ts getting injured while being shipped but shipping an underfed animal really doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Especially not one THAT thin.

Also, is her name by any chance a reference to the game Dragon Age?

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Wow, she looks amazing. <3 I'm glad she fattened up for you. I don't really know much about Ts getting injured while being shipped but shipping an underfed animal really doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Especially not one THAT thin.

Also, is her name by any chance a reference to the game Dragon Age?
I'm amazed that someone actually guessed that! :razz: Yes, her namesake is indeed the character "Morrigan" from Dragon Age.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bump and sorry for the double post.

I promised I'd post some pics next time I could, and after a week of hiding Morrigan has finally decided to show up for a photo op.

As you can see, she is looking a lot better. Thank you everyone for giving advice during this situation.

wanted to see a side by side imo

looks much much better

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
Did she molt recently?
my thoughts exactly, my psalmos have lost that much in a moult before.
however that does make me question the previous owner, i would at least send it on its way with a meal beforehand. weve all received them like this and its a joke tbh, total lack of interest. iv had 1 that had to go immediately into an icu.
your irminia is gorgeous now btw and great job!

lunashimmer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pretty girl! And good job on getting her back to a "normal" size.

I thought her name was a reference to the Celtic warrior goddess from mythology. Although that might be exactly what the character is in the game you're talking about. :eek: Heehee!

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aww... poor thing looked dehydrated and underfed as fook! But she definitely looks like under your care, she's gotten SO MUCH better! :) Great care taking!

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
I have tongs. I've had a few of those little guys get away. I'll see if she'll take food a little later today. I hope she'll be alright...:wall:
I've had a few mealworms dig under to the point I can't get them out in a few situations and have seen my Ts eating beetles I didn't put in there! It takes a month or two for them to go through the whole pupation process, but it's a nice little treat, I suppose!

Jenthevet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
from my understanding, the most likely reason your T looks underfed is this: if it were fat and happy and was shipped like that there is more of a chance of the abdomen being ruptuted due to the handling and shipping process. i have gotten a couple Ts via fedex over 3 inches that were underfed. its more for their safety
This does make sense but it made me wonder....how long does it take for a Ts opisthosoma to get that small? If it's in stock as a sale item/animal, is food and water regularly withheld from it in case an order comes in for it? Or like previous posters said, perhaps they are WC. I wonder how long they keep them before selling them.