My Platyomma thumped me!

courtneyannb

Arachnopeon
That is why I said I can't just go to Walmart and get substrate like someone suggested I do, I never once said I was stressed out about the humidity thats why I don't understand why everyone has gone off on this subject, I said I put the plant in there because it was left over and I read they "help" with humidity, I never asked one question about humidity, I simply justified why I put a plant in my enclosure, on a post that had nothing to do with enclosures! Lol

Sorry to sound like a jerk, it just sucks to ask a totally non related question and everyone over inundate you with thier 2 cents worth, ugh!

I will ask another question though, in everyones "opinion" do I have to let my T's burrow to be a proper T owner? The only T I've had burrow is my Curly hair sling but I hate the idea of never seeing my babies, but do want them all to be happy!

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 04:06 PM ----------

I keep my pamphos in plastic sterilite containers with holes around the sides-- NOT on the lid. I've been use using with some sphagnum moss mixed in just at the top. Every two days I wet down the substrate and moss and let it dry out before wetting it again.

I feel like KKs aren't the best enclosure for Ts who need their sub dampened once in a while. Not enough airflow, and the airflow it does have is all the way at the top. I like airflow closer to the substrate line.

As stated, you shouldn't be doing cage maintenance with your T out and wandering about. I'd put a plastic catch up overtop of him inside of the enclosure and do what you need to do, then remove the cup.
Thays a great idea, thank you!

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
That is why I said I can't just go to Walmart and get substrate like someone suggested I do, I never once said I was stressed out about the humidity thats why I don't understand why everyone has gone off on this subject, I said I put the plant in there because it was left over and I read they "help" with humidity, I never asked one question about humidity, I simply justified why I put a plant in my enclosure, on a post that had nothing to do with enclosures! Lol

Sorry to sound like a jerk, it just sucks to ask a totally non related question and everyone over inundate you with thier 2 cents worth, ugh!

I will ask another question though, in everyones "opinion" do I have to let my T's burrow to be a proper T owner? The only T I've had burrow is my Curly hair sling but I hate the idea of never seeing my babies, but do want them all to be happy!
'Let' your T burrow? Some Ts burrow and some Ts don't. But the thing is that you need to offer them the opportunity to burrow- aka, using the correct types of substrate and enough of it that they can do so if they please.

This isn't about what you desire, it's about making your tarantula to feel safe and do what they need to do to make themselves comfortable in the artificial home you give them. One of my Pamphos has made a burrow and I never see them. The other pampho is always out and about.

Do not purposefully give your tarantula too little substrate with the intentions of depriving them the opportunity to burrow just so you can see them when you please.

It's not an opinion, it's just common sense. That tarantula has no desire to live with you. He didn't crawl into your KK and ask to be there. You wanted the tarantula, now it is your responsibility to meet all of his needs.

cold blood

Staff member
You should not use any soil that contains any additives. If you can´t find eco earth at your local gardening shop, you can order a brick of coco fiber online. The plant is not harmful to your T, but it is a hassle to keep live plants in a terrarium, so you will be so much easier off without it. It seems to me that your hygrometer is giving you more stress than it is being useful. It´s not important to keep a constant humidity of 75-80% for this species, just slightly moist substrate will do the trick.
+1 To all above.

There is NO magic humidity number, it does NOT need to be maintained at a number specific humidity level 24/7...No t has requirements that necessitate the use of a hygrometer. Their woeful inaccuracy causes consistent problems....Same for that stirmi.

Like said, plants are fine, just more of a pain than they are generally worth, although I will agree they can look spectacular.

Simplify;)

I didn't suggest you go to walmart (although they may actually have it), merely that simple topsoil may be easier for you to get closer to home than having to drive all the way to town, as gardening and hardware stores are quite abundant, even in out of the way places.

You actually don't want organic, as it (more often than not) contains :poop:, which you don't want in. You also don't want the stuff with pesticides or fertilizers. Many, most of the larger stores, sell very cheap, basic topsoil. Home depot, for instance sells it for about $1.50 for a 40lb bag...but this is only helpful if you have access to these kinds of stores.

No, you didn't mention humidity, but from descriptions and pics, many of us became concerned about it. The use of the term "semi-aquatic" when describing the plant in 2 set-ups is a big red flag. If semi-aquatic plants are living with your t, regardless of species, its too wet for a t. Plants are fine, but any plant you put in will help maintain humidity naturally, your biggest concern is a plant that does well with less light, as t's prefer it dark most of the time.

Also hearing you say that you are maintaining (or believe you are) a tight window of number specific humidity, and seeing the hygrometer (without a device to show the numbers, how would you know?) is just more red flags. They're sweet t's, no one wants to see a "what happened" thread 3 months from now....so we offered help where it was seen fit. I know its frustrating to get "advice" where it wasn't asked for, but I think we can all agree it would be significantly more frustrating to watch a t go downhill when you are doing everything you believe needs to be done and following it to the letter. I didn't say you made no effort to learn, I suggested that much of what you learned may have come from unscrupulous places.

Any assumptions were either shown, or eluded to by your posts directly.:smile:

T's that like to burrow are more comfortable when able to do so...required, no...but it will make the t much more predictable as it will have a place to go when spooked and nothing says security to them more than a nice burrow. Always better than spooking toward the opening.