my rosy

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats true...so they dont suffer as much in a fall... misting is quite debatable as most people believe it doesnt do much difference... just keep a water bowl...that should be sufficient...

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
new rosie

i got a new rosie , not sure if he or she yet. got her home after 70 mile ride and she ate a cricket witin 1 hour of gettin in her new home. she has a gimp leg , not sure how they are numbered
hoping next molt it is fill length again

Last edited:

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very nice rosea! i see that it seems you misted the sides of the KK... i would advise against that... G.roseas prefer it really dry, at least in my experience and from what ive been told... the water dish is enough for moisture needs, no need to mist or dampen the substrate...

FOX

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My sons Rosie has a terracota plant pot partly buried plus 3-4 plastic aquarium plants plus a water dish full of pebbles.
She uses her hide all the time, the plants make it seem more natural & less boring to look at & the water dish is filled with tiny pebbles & she likes to sit in it & often moves the pebbles around, which makes her less boring to watch as most rosies are statues.;)

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Endora said:
my rosie just moulted and i was wondering how long it would take for her to feed after her moult. i know that i should wait for her fangs to turn black again. How long does that take ?
from what I am told you should usually wait 7-10 days...my rosie molted 9 days ago and i just fed it today... just keep checkin on those fangs...mine would stretch along the walls of the enclosure alot so checking on the fangs wasnt a problem :D

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where, bonesmama, do you live? In Canada (Mtl where Endora lives, Ontario where I live) the humidity is likely <20% right now, EVERYTHING dries out quickly. I mist all my spiders every second day (or three days at the very least)

NATIVE HABITAT:
Roses come from the borders of the Atacama Desert in Northern
Chile at least as far south as Santiago. The Atacama can be one of the
harshest environments on the planet! There are parts of it that have never
had rain in recorded history. The temperatures there may reach 135 F (57
C) or higher in Summer. They may experience light frosts in Winter. We
think that the areas where roses are found aren't quite so severe. They've
been reported from semi-desert to scrub forest areas. Apparently their
principle source of water in nature is from the food they eat and fogs
that drift in from the Pacific Ocean once in a while.(note:eek:nce in awhile)

With both vermiculite and potting soil, the moisture will evaporate in a
few days. This is good. Roses are desert creatures and excessive humidity
is not appreciated. They will learn to get all the moisture they need from
the water dish. They'll also get a lot from their food. Don't even think
of misting them with a plant sprayer as some people do. This only annoys
the tarantula.

These quotes are straight from the STICKY on G.roseas, which is why I suggested that everyone read it. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to clear up some misconceptions and help people to keep their T's in an environment that's best for them!

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
bonesmama said:
With both vermiculite and potting soil, the moisture will evaporate in a
few days. This is good. Roses are desert creatures and excessive humidity
is not appreciated. They will learn to get all the moisture they need from
the water dish. They'll also get a lot from their food. Don't even think
of misting them with a plant sprayer as some people do. This only annoys
the tarantula.

That quote is straight from the STICKY on G.roseas, which is why I suggested that everyone read it.
and the point of that is?

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hahaha seriously i dont get you guys...
i said to maybe put a few drops of water if the T has enclosed itself and hasnt come out for a long time, like the first guy said, because it could probably use a little moisture if it doesnt come out and have access to the dish...
Then i told the last person that they shouldnt mist, the T will get all the water it needs from the dish... because its out in the open...
anyways, im done giving advice to rosea owners... ill just take care of my own :p

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't mean to start an arguement. I read the G.Rosea sticky. It was very informative. I was just inquirering on my personal situation. Now that my T has come out of it's shelter i discovered she had molted and was perfectly healthy ... so i guess i did alright.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
bonesmama said:
Point being that people are misting thier G. roseas every other day!
And this presents a problem because ...? What works in one environment does not work in all others. I misted my tanks this morning, this afternoon they are dry, the air is that dry where i live. Hence, why I mist every second day.

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i thought id seen all possible debates... handling or not handling, the way to ship Ts, how to sex them... this is the first time i witness a misting argument, i think most Ts have a large range of humidity tolerance... so either way shouldnt be too hard on them... MY OPINION... no need to flame me...

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
bananaman

THanks, I prob should have mentioned that i dont mist them lol i got this one at petco and never had a rosea and they said mist it so i did then wondered why it was doing the fancy ballet tryign to stay off the substrate lol
now its bone dry with a water dish and the spider is happy and stopped sleeping on its house so i guess i need to call it something other than snoopy lol

and yes read the stickys folks thats where i learned why snoopy was acting like snoopy

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As for hiding, I had a cave in my rosie's tank and I saw her in it once. I took it out and put in a piece of driftwood instead (they both couldn't fit) and it provides a place to hide....that never gets used! It hangs out on the driftwood though.

As for misting, I'm a rookie so I cant really say too much. But I do know that Chile has the driest climate in the world and I'm sure a water dish is plenty. That being said, again, I'm a rookie so I might be totally off on this one. :D

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
moricollins said:
And this presents a problem because ...? What works in one environment does not work in all others. I misted my tanks this morning, this afternoon they are dry, the air is that dry where i live. Hence, why I mist every second day.
The point is that you don't need to and the tarantulas almost certainly don't like it. :) Their natural environment is FAR harsher than anyplace your average human lives, they are *made* for this.

bananaman said:
i said to maybe put a few drops of water if the T has enclosed itself and hasnt come out for a long time, like the first guy said, because it could probably use a little moisture if it doesnt come out and have access to the dish...
If the T needs water, it will go get it. They are quite able to cut open their webbing when they're ready to, but not before, hehe. My GBB walled herself off for weeks before her molt, I left her to it, as only the spider knows what it needs to be doing at any given time.

This is especially true with rosies, as they are proven to get very stressed and actively avoid even the slightest bit of wet substrate whenever possible. So if it's in pre/post-molt and walled away, the last thing you want to do is get it wet!

Last edited:

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks guys, but i think that i have everything under control. This thread was made a little while a go and my rosie has moulted since then and is doing very well. I also have a A.Avic about the size of my thumbnail now, and she too is doing great.