My second T

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Go on a venomous snake forum, or group on Facebook, and ask them if Gaboons are unpredictable. You'll get a yes from every person that keeps Gaboons.

The fact the majority of them are relatively calm, is one of the reasons why they're unpredictable. They will at some point flip out, and they'll often give no indiction they're going to.

I've had my female Gaboon, eating her food, nearly all the way down..then suddenly she throws it out of her mouth and launches herself out of her enclosure at me.

Admittedly I have a very badly behaved Gaboon. But if you keep Gaboons long enough, and you treat them as predictable you'll end up in a coffin.

You don't know what you're going to get. It's not like my western diamondback, I know every single time without fail, he will try and bite the minute his enclosure is open. But a Gaboon, you have to wait and see till you hook it, even then on multiple occasions I've had them calmly sitting there, and they randomly decide to flip out.

My male on the contrary, has only flipped out twice. It would've been quite easy for me to assume he's "docile" and predictable from his usual behaviour, and if I had, I would've probably been bitten on both of those occasions.

Oh and coastals aren't really anything bad, it's the PNG's that's are crazy.
i see where your coming from now. makes total sense just never had one who was ill mannered. most would wait till you shut the cage till they even looked at you. i treat all hots like its a life or death situation. they just seem predictable in a way. never had a thing for them tho, just went over to a fellow hobbiest on clean day to help out, as our motto is "better 2 keepers on hand then one foolish one"

realy? last i knew costals were the most ill tempered taipans, but i wasnt into keeping hots myself. just working with them and the name taipan scares the sh*t out of me in a way lol -.- not quite keeper with a tremor ridden hook scare more like "yea, no give me the 10ft hook... no the 10ft hook.. i dont want to be within any form of striking range"

lol but i suppose all animals have their own personalities. iv seen spitters who needed the glass cleaned every 2 days, but also know one who has spit a total of 2 times in 5yrs at people. both was high stress situations [after getting her shipped in and a huge cage upgrade]. just goes to show you all animals are unpredictable. ^_^

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
:laugh:Just spit beer all over my lap LOL I didn't mean holding one please don't ever do that. I meant handling anything as in once you have dealt with their speed and defensiveness you're ready for just about any T. If you plan on getting into OW's I would actually suggest doing rehousing the traditional way. I always say that Psalmos are like OW's with training wheels, they prepare you for OW speed and reaction but if you get tagged the venom is fairly mild.
Haha, My mate handles his female Chevron :eek:, but i've seen far worse on instagram...people with H.mac's on their face etc. But I'm not into that anyway, i just want the T's because they look pretty, not to hold.

Ok, will do :) I do plan on it one day!

just goes to show you all animals are unpredictable. ^_^
This, the only animal i've ever been bitten by is a leopard gecko...5 times haha!

cold blood

Staff member
Haha, My mate handles his female Chevron :eek:, but i've seen far worse on instagram...people with H.mac's on their face etc.
Handling a P. cam isn't that far from the stupid tree the guy with that H. mac is sitting in, help educate your mate. Its most certainly not a species that should be handled.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Pound per pound (or I guess oz per oz) spiders are much faster than snakes, so be prepared to be amazed when you have to feed and rehouse them. Usually I just get the T to bolt into whatever cup I'm using and then transfer it to the new cage. It's also very helpful if you can put some of their old webbing in the new container as they will bolt for that and feel more secure in the new cage.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Considering you keep hot snakes, a bite from a P. cam is probably gonna be on the laughable side for you then. However, I advise caution with them due to the fact that they can escape pretty easily if you let your guard down. Trust me, I speak from experience when I say that a 7" spider with insane agility and grease-lighting speed is a challenge :D Knocking on wood, neither of my T's ever got away from me, though. Just don't let them fool you and you'll be fine.

"Moriko", fully grown 7" AF P. cambridgei:

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Considering you keep hot snakes, a bite from a P. cam is probably gonna be on the laughable side for you then. However, I advise caution with them due to the fact that they can escape pretty easily if you let your guard down. Trust me, I speak from experience when I say that a 7" spider with insane agility and grease-lighting speed is a challenge :D Knocking on wood, neither of my T's ever got away from me, though. Just don't let them fool you and you'll be fine.

"Moriko", fully grown 7" AF P. cambridgei:

Correct, it's not the getting bit part that bothers me. Just the escaping part :D.

See, that picture makes me want an adult so much lol. They look amazing. Enclosure looks awesome too, are those real plants?

I've never really felt scared of T's like I do things like wolf spiders, they're something I will never get over my fear of them. I like tarantulas because they seem to have a bit more meat to them, if you know what I mean? They aren't so spindly, if that makes sense.

I know quite a few people actually, that keep tarantulas, but are scared of the house spiders we get in England lol.

Pound per pound (or I guess oz per oz) spiders are much faster than snakes, so be prepared to be amazed when you have to feed and rehouse them. Usually I just get the T to bolt into whatever cup I'm using and then transfer it to the new cage. It's also very helpful if you can put some of their old webbing in the new container as they will bolt for that and feel more secure in the new cage.
Thanks for the tip. :) are there any good videos around? To see how it's done.

Handling a P. cam isn't that far from the stupid tree the guy with that H. mac is sitting in, help educate your mate. Its most certainly not a species that should be handled.
Ah, I find a lot of people have the attitude "it won't kill me, so I don't care", when it comes to T's. Each to their own. But yeah, it's not something I'm going to do. I held it the day I got it as it's only tiny, 1inch, but I needed to do that, to make me feel more comfortable. But it's not something I will be doing when it's larger.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Once you've seen a guy with a P.metallica in his mouth, such acts of stupidity don't come off as very surprising anymore.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Don't know about "good", but these are a few rehousing I did with my Psalmo's in different stages. Never had a problem really.

P. cam housing (when she arrived 3") CLICK

P. cam rehouse (juvie, using the catchcup-method) CLICK

P. pulcher rehouse (sling) CLICK

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha, I have a chilli rose too. But, that just sits in my hand and doesn't move, it doesn't get me over my fear because it's not doing what actually freaks me out about spiders. Which is their "erratic" fast movement.

A bit off topic...but do you keep venomous snakes? I agree, non venomous are definitely more predictable than T's. But there are a lot of venomous species that are very unpredictable, PNG taipans, Forest Cobras, South American Lanceheads, Gaboons for example. Gaboons are probably the most unpredictable snake in the world, they'll go from 0-100 with absolutely no indiction they're going to.

My female Gaboon is the most volatile snake I've ever worked with, and I keep things like the notorious Bothrops asper.

I just used the venomous thing to show that I'm used to working around animals, that you need to be on your toes with, and I'm not the irresponsible type.

Oh and thanks :)
I wish I kept hots, because there are so many beautiful ones out there! I know my limits, I'd get tagged sooner or later, and die. My friends have kept hots, one in particular has been doing so for 30 years, he has Gaboons as well. Bothrops are nice too! I'd love to own a banded krait. Oh well.

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Once you've seen a guy with a P.metallica in his mouth, such acts of stupidity don't come off as very surprising anymore.
Haha that is true.

Don't know about "good", but these are a few rehousing I did with my Psalmo's in different stages. Never had a problem really.

P. cam housing (when she arrived 3") CLICK

P. cam rehouse (juvie, using the catchcup-method) CLICK

P. pulcher rehouse (sling) CLICK
Thanks a lot :) Didn't think about the hole for a straw in a catch cup! That will help a lot.

I wish I kept hots, because there are so many beautiful ones out there! I know my limits, I'd get tagged sooner or later, and die. My friends have kept hots, one in particular has been doing so for 30 years, he has Gaboons as well. Bothrops are nice too! I'd love to own a banded krait. Oh well.
Haha, fair enough :)

There are a lot of pretty little venomous snakes though, Dwarf Bitis are nice, for example look at Bitis caudalis they're usually around 40-50cm as adults - you'd have to be an idiot of epic proportions to ever be bitten by one! If you were using a 40cm hook, no way you'd ever be bitten.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Correct, it's not the getting bit part that bothers me. Just the escaping part :D.

See, that picture makes me want an adult so much lol. They look amazing. Enclosure looks awesome too, are those real plants?

I've never really felt scared of T's like I do things like wolf spiders, they're something I will never get over my fear of them. I like tarantulas because they seem to have a bit more meat to them, if you know what I mean? They aren't so spindly, if that makes sense.

I know quite a few people actually, that keep tarantulas, but are scared of the house spiders we get in England lol.

Ah, I find a lot of people have the attitude "it won't kill me, so I don't care", when it comes to T's. Each to their own. But yeah, it's not something I'm going to do. I held it the day I got it as it's only tiny, 1inch, but I needed to do that, to make me feel more comfortable. But it's not something I will be doing when it's larger.
I've never thought to film my rehousings as I'm generally pretty focused and getting the T from point A to point B safely. I just kinda tickle their abdomens and legs with a paint brush and they will usually go in the direction I want them to, if they don't then I just put the cup in their way.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha that is true.

Thanks a lot :) Didn't think about the hole for a straw in a catch cup! That will help a lot.

Haha, fair enough :)

There are a lot of pretty little venomous snakes though, Dwarf Bitis are nice, for example look at Bitis caudalis they're usually around 40-50cm as adults - you'd have to be an idiot of epic proportions to ever be bitten by one! If you were using a 40cm hook, no way you'd ever be bitten.
Man, I'd love to own a hots, but I know my limits. I've seen some beauties this year too out of Asia, species I've never seen.

I've always wanted an Eyelash Viper...Oh well.