My suntiger has a weird leg issue

Solace22

Arachnopeon
Ive been keeping tarantulas for decades and I have never seen this. We have a very old female suntiger (maybe 17-18 years old?) that recently molted. It was a perfect molt and everything went great. Its been about 3-4 days. Today we noticed her left front leg and her left pedipalp don't seem to work. She was on the side of her hide and the legs seem limp and just dangle, as if she fell asleep and the legs let go of the wall. This just started in the last 12 hours I would say. Sorry for the bad picture - Ill try and get a better one as I can. Any ideas on this one? No injuries no falls that I know of, she has just been lazy/recovering.
ETA I was earlier able to use some tongs and gently move the limbs they both are flexible and she didnt mind me doing it. But she just moved a bit and it seems they are both dead limbs. I may try and investigate to see if the tarsus claws function or not. They dont seem to, it doesnt seem like she has any sensation in that front main leg. pedipalp Im 50/50 on.

Attachments

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
17 really?

I can’t tell what’s up based on that pic sorry

Solace22

Arachnopeon
well I think you can make out the two legs that are different from the others. Sorry it was a hard to get shot with how she is hiding.
I got her before my oldest daughter was born and she just turned 17 a few months ago :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well I think you can make out the two legs that are different from the others. Sorry it was a hard to get shot with how she is hiding.
I got her before my oldest daughter was born and she just turned 17 a few months ago :D
I couldn’t tell. Either way I can’t explain what’s going in. Important part is she eats

Solace22

Arachnopeon
Well she's doing something now. Looks more than two legs are messed up.
She's trying to bite or possibly remove the pedipalp. It looks like she is bleeding at a joint on the main front leg as well.
She's not ready to eat her fangs aren't hardened after the molt.

Probably the end of the road for her. :(

Better pic here- limb isn't working and just dangles.

Attachments

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
It seems like 17-18 is quite old for this species, could it be this is "old age" setting in? She's absolutely gorgeous, so sorry you're seeing these odd problems.

The only thing I would know to do is just make sure she has easy access to clean water to drink, and hope she sorts herself out.

Solace22

Arachnopeon
It seems like 17-18 is quite old for this species, could it be this is "old age" setting in? She's absolutely gorgeous, so sorry you're seeing these odd problems.

The only thing I would know to do is just make sure she has easy access to clean water to drink, and hope she sorts herself out.
I'll keep your guys posted!
This what is possibly her last molt was perfect and I'll be able to make something nice from it. It's the only one I've ever gotten from her.
Hoping she doesn't break a fang during this process.

Looks like she's got a leak, probably why it's not working.

Attachments

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I have never seen or heard of anyone with a P. irminia that has lived for 17 or 18 years. Most will live 5-7 years, although some people claim 10 years for maximum age. Psalmopoeus is a genus that grows fast from sling to adult, which is why their lifespans isn't as long as let's say Grammostola or Brachypelma for example.

As for the leg situation. There could be a lot possibilities as to why it's caused the legs to be as they are. It could be an injury, bad molt, or who knows? If it's eating, then I would just keep an eye on it.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
She’ll likely self amputate that leg. Such a beautiful, old girl. Hope she pulls through, but you have really been so fortunate to have her so long.

Solace22

Arachnopeon
She’ll likely self amputate that leg. Such a beautiful, old girl. Hope she pulls through, but you have really been so fortunate to have her so long.
Im on the fence if she will it seems like its a total of 2 legs and one pedipalp, i guess im thinking she wont be physically able to but we will see. I just want her fangs to harden up before she tries too much.
She is a very pretty spider and the last of my collection sadly. Ill just have to see what she does in the next few days.

I have never seen or heard of anyone with a P. irminia that has lived for 17 or 18 years. Most will live 5-7 years, although some people claim 10 years for maximum age. Psalmopoeus is a genus that grows fast from sling to adult, which is why their lifespans isn't as long as let's say Grammostola or Brachypelma for example.

As for the leg situation. There could be a lot possibilities as to why it's caused the legs to be as they are. It could be an injury, bad molt, or who knows? If it's eating, then I would just keep an eye on it.
I wish I had some way to prove it but I dont. :(
She has been a great T and Ive had it since she was a sling.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

My female lived about 8-10 years. I’d say 9 somewhere in the middle.
I wish I had some way to prove it but I dont. :(
She has been a great T and Ive had it since she was a sling.
Best of luck .

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There’s nothing you can do but wait.

Also while your pics are better- too much guess work on the legs. Circle what you want us to inspect.

cold blood

Staff member
Leg issues arent actual issues....they self amputate any issues...they dont bleed to death from leg injuries either as they have a valve at the base of each leg that closes off to prevent bleeding to death.....ts do not need all their legs or palps to hunt and survive just fine.

Congrats on the longevity of your irminia....I have never heard of one living quite that long.

Solace22

Arachnopeon
Leg issues arent actual issues....they self amputate any issues...they dont bleed to death from leg injuries either as they have a valve at the base of each leg that closes off to prevent bleeding to death.....ts do not need all their legs or palps to hunt and survive just fine.

Congrats on the longevity of your irminia....I have never heard of one living quite that long.
I had a male t.stirmi that had worn both his back legs plumb out after maturing. He wandered and climbed and fell so much he messed them up bad. I actually had to amputate one of them myself.
I think for her losing 2 front legs and a pedipalp on the same side at her age won't be great. I've eased up on misting so I can better see what is an injury vs water.
We will see what the future holds for her.

Solace22

Arachnopeon
So this is her this morning. Just at rest her legs just sort of dangle and are miss-shapen. I don't see any 'leaks' at the moment though.

Attachments

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Poor ol girl. I still think she’ll remove them, hopefully after her fangs have hardened. I see 3 very glorious toes!! May have to disable or prekill for her. Rooting for her!!

Solace22

Arachnopeon
Well not much to report she is been acting fairly normal and thirsty. She is still webbing a lot not sure what that is about but we did entirely re-do her setup just before the molt (accidentally). So maybe she is in a home-making mood.
I will attempt to feed her in a few days and let you guys know how that goes.