My t albo jumped!!

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
K so I brought home 2 new T’s almost 2 weeks ago. A pamphobeteus machala sling and a t albo. I’ve fed them not a problem well went to feed my curly hair a few minutes ago and I used a roach this time and as I’m putting it near the enclosure I’m not even kidding my beast jumped 6 inches and grabbed onto my tongs! Gave me a oh shi! Moment!! So a week ago in middle of night I watched it jump off the side of its enclosure too. Is this normal curly hair behavior? Or to even jump that high!!! That was insane!! And I don’t think it looks that hungry. Will anyone lmk if theirs do this at all? Sorry still mind blown by how nice and slow he is and to suddenly move lightning fast! Thank hod he grabbed the tongs if he would be gone😂 oh and my jumpers can’t even do this amazing feat. Nova is my favorite and now I know why!!

Attachments

gzophia

Arachnosquire
Wow, I could never imagine my T. albopilosum doing that... she is quite the sedentary girl!
I don't know if that jumping is normal; it's probably nothing to worry about but that is wild!

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Wow, I could never imagine my T. albopilosum doing that... she is quite the sedentary girl!
I don't know if that jumping is normal; it's probably nothing to worry about but that is wild!
that’s what I thought too he’s my sweetest!! lol I was trying to film it instead all I got was his hide and me saying swearing😂 now I’ll just never take the lid completely off again when I feed!!

gzophia

Arachnosquire
Haha that's probably your safest bet!

On another note, I just found a thread on AB about this behavior, which gives some good info!
In the words of Whitelightning777 on the second post:
Any animal that can accelerate with a sudden burst of speed can probably jump.
This behavior seems to be more well-known with arboreals, but I bet terrestrials can do it too.

Glad I didn't "jump to conclusions" haha :lol:

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Haha that's probably your safest bet!

On another note, I just found a thread on AB about this behavior, which gives some good info!
In the words of Whitelightning777 on the second post:

This behavior seems to be more well-known with arboreals, but I bet terrestrials can do it too.

Glad I didn't "jump to conclusions" haha :lol:
Oh cool thx ima check that out rn!! I have them all housed next to my bed so when I can’t sleep I watch them do cool 1 am activities 😂

gzophia

Arachnosquire
Oh cool thx ima check that out rn!! I have them all housed next to my bed so when I can’t sleep I watch them do cool 1 am activities 😂
Sounds familiar... I keep my inverts right next to my bed too!
Definitely fun except on nights before exams and such-- I put my handheld lights somewhere I can't reach on those nights so I don't get distracted and lose sleep.

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Sounds familiar... I keep my inverts right next to my bed too!
Definitely fun except on nights before exams and such-- I put my handheld lights somewhere I can't reach on those nights so I don't get distracted and lose sleep.
omg yes!! I have 1 under my pillow and like 5 more if I stand up to watch😂😂 ppl don’t even realize how fascinating they really are!!!

gzophia

Arachnosquire
omg yes!! I have 1 under my pillow and like 5 more if I stand up to watch😂😂 ppl don’t even realize how fascinating they really are!!!
Under your pillow??? 😲
Yeah, I have 30+ bugs to my direct left when I'm sleeping face up! They really are fascinating.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
just means you tried dropping the feeder to close the t when feeding it. kinda doubt it jumped off the side of its cage probably it slipped or just fell off the side

gzophia

Arachnosquire
just means you tried dropping the feeder to close the t when feeding it. kinda doubt it jumped off the side of its cage probably it slipped or just fell off the side
Yeah, maybe. It would have looked pretty crazy though. Tarantulas do such interesting things at the most unexpected moments!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
my genic spooked me good a few times usually on its first feeding after a molt and gaining a bunch of size :rofl:its crazy watching a big heavy t running up the tongs to your fingers. my fault each time for misjudging just how far it could lunge doesnt help with a genic all that moves is food

gzophia

Arachnosquire
my genic spooked me good a few times usually on its first feeding after a molt and gaining a bunch of size :rofl:its crazy watching a big heavy t running up the tongs to your fingers. my fault each time for misjudging just how far it could lunge doesnt help with a genic all that moves is food
Wow, that must have been shocking! Hasn't happened to me yet (I keep scorpions and vinegaroons mainly) but as I get more tarantulas it will probably happen eventually...
I'll have to be careful! I was actually thinking about that very species last evening 😂

0viWan

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter +
I have witnessed some of my NW terrestrials do some crazy dives for prey. Like jumping the whole enclosure from one end to the other. Normal 😝

Mustafa67

Arachnopeon
K so I brought home 2 new T’s almost 2 weeks ago. A pamphobeteus machala sling and a t albo. I’ve fed them not a problem well went to feed my curly hair a few minutes ago and I used a roach this time and as I’m putting it near the enclosure I’m not even kidding my beast jumped 6 inches and grabbed onto my tongs! Gave me a oh shi! Moment!! So a week ago in middle of night I watched it jump off the side of its enclosure too. Is this normal curly hair behavior? Or to even jump that high!!! That was insane!! And I don’t think it looks that hungry. Will anyone lmk if theirs do this at all? Sorry still mind blown by how nice and slow he is and to suddenly move lightning fast! Thank hod he grabbed the tongs if he would be gone😂 oh and my jumpers can’t even do this amazing feat. Nova is my favorite and now I know why!!
Awwwww he sounds so cute 😍😍😍😍

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
They do that
Omg I told my daughter while my heart was racing I wish someone warned me if they did this😂😂 it was beyond cool just unexpected and I don’t want him to get hurt. I think it was a good response he ate after that!

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love/fear mine. Changing the water dish is always too much fun. Everything is food.