My T not eating a month+ post molt.

bulletbrazen

Arachnopeon
Hello all,
Unfortunate that this has to be my first post but my Mexican red knee hasn't eaten post molt and it's been well over a month. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with it's fangs the best picture I could get looks like they are embedded in that reddish area or maybe missing entirely. It's about 2 years old and still drinking frequently. Any advice would be great. PXL_20240420_182825469~2.jpg

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
People have rehabbed Ts using cricket soup in extreme cases

Still have the old molt to check for a sucking stomach?

Do you have a picture of the abdomen and one of the whole enclosure? Picture is blurry, sometimes the hairs can obscure your view

bulletbrazen

Arachnopeon
I didn't even know cricket soup was a thing, so I will start that at least right away. The abdomen is pretty shrunken at this point. The T's body is about 2.5 inches without factoring legs. PXL_20240420_182806807.jpg
These pictures are all from last week, I can try isolate him and get a better one tomorrow.
The tank:
PXL_20240505_192453945~2.jpg
Right now there are several smaller caps of water spaced around the tank in addition to the main dish.

I did actually mean to say 1.5 inches not factoring legs.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I didn't even know cricket soup was a thing, so I will start that at least right away. The abdomen is pretty shrunken at this point. The T's body is about 2.5 inches without factoring legs. View attachment 472632
These pictures are all from last week, I can try isolate him and get a better one tomorrow.
The tank:
View attachment 472633
Right now there are several smaller caps of water spaced around the tank in addition to the main dish.
diagonal leg-span or “DLS” is how I measure or estimate them . One month isn’t that unusual for a sub adult spider.

bulletbrazen

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the advice so far! This is (obviously 🙂) our first T so every step you learn something new. I definitely realize it's too soon to worry too much but I was already a little concerned because it had spent much longer in premolt (almost 5 months vs it's normal 2-3) this cycle already.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I would try changing feeders too. He may scavenge when he sees fit, so make sure something is available. Pay attention to the placement and appearance of the feeder in case he tries to eat it but can't, it might appear mangled. If there is a problem with the fangs OR sucking stomach this would be a big tell. You should dig up the molt for peace of mind. No sucking stomach it won't be able to eat until it molts again. If it makes it that far.

I would try small/young hornworms, wax worms, mealworms, superworms (sever the heads of the last two) before dubias since they have a tougher exo

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
In general not eating is nothing to be concerned about if it’s environment is adequate!

bulletbrazen

Arachnopeon
Just a quick update and thank you again for all the advice. Unfortunately I didn't know about the sucking stomach previous to this, so I didn't check for that before the molt was disposed of.
I've already started the cricket soup in one of the tiny water caps and I'm going to try a different feeders every few days too. I was going to try to get an underside picture but it's wedged in it's cozy spot so I'm not going to disturb that.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Might wanna try a flashlight on the fangs when she’s up on the glass. My heart sank when my versi had appeared to have lost her fans after a molt. A reflection showed they were just deep in the mouth fluff.