NEED HELP MY geniculata

arrjay123

Arachnopeon
need help my geniculata is still climbing i post this a week a go same problem but they said that i should put more substrate / the substrate dryer because its to moist so i change it to a substrate that i use for it every rehouse that rehouse 2 weeks ago it was not the substrate i use every rehouse / then its stays on the large fake plant again it is now 2 weeks so i tried another suggestion for the experts they said that i will remove the fake plant so i did that was july 3 night then july 4 morning i saw its still climbing and dont eat when i remove tHE FAKE plant she bite the wood of the brush and its size is 5" female last molt was november 28th 2013 and has a bald spot and others gave up with my genic they said try someone else because i dont know what to say anymore its substrate is cocopeat not dry not that wet just normal and that ventalation is okay and i need your help this is my Favorite T i will do everything to make it alive

cold blood

Staff member
Every time you change things, it needs to re-adjust...leave it alone and it will eventually stop climbing....time is the biggest issue, as in you aren't giving it time to adjust...keep half dry and half a bit moist, this is as simple as overfilling the water dish.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
One week isn't nearly enough time for it to adjust. Close the lid, stop listening to people claiming to be "experts," and don't mess with it for the next several weeks. Think of a person moving into a new house; they won't act like its home for a while because their stuff is scattered everywhere and they are getting situated, its the same for a T. Anyone advising you to screw with a brand new habitat that a tarantula is not adjusted to is not an expert.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
My genic took months to adjust when I brought her home. Now she just sits in her water dish or right next to it, 24/7. She hasn't moved from that spot in... probably 9 months. The male barely moves too.

Tarantulas are weird. Acanthoscurria species are even weirder.

cold blood

Staff member
One week isn't nearly enough time for it to adjust. Close the lid, stop listening to people claiming to be "experts," and don't mess with it for the next several weeks. Think of a person moving into a new house; they won't act like its home for a while because their stuff is scattered everywhere and they are getting situated, its the same for a T. Anyone advising you to screw with a brand new habitat that a tarantula is not adjusted to is not an expert.
It takes them a while because, despite their many eyes, they don't actually see very well at all, living more by feel. Changing things around constantly is like going into Helen Keller's house and constantly re-arranging the furniture. It will take a long time for a blind person, going basically by feel and previous memory/experiences to get really comfortable...similar for your t's.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
That's not entirely true. Hellen Keller was a human missing two vital perceptive abilities to humans. Tarantulas don't see well, but they don't need to. They are hyper aware of their surroundings, and they have sensory abilities that we do not.

That said, yeah, it takes awhile for a tarantula to settle in. If you completely changed out the substrate, you essentially dropped it into a new home. It's just going to take awhile to settle in. A genic is very hardy, so you don't have to worry about your enclosure not being one hundred percent perfect. As long as it's not super cold or super hot and it's not walking on a swamp of a substrate, it'll do fine. Let it do its thing.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Just give it time. The best thing you can do for a T is leaving it alone.

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
I have a p. Irminia that's been in new substrate and logs and such for about 3 weeks now and although she sits in the same spot I don't think she's settled in yet she hasn't webbed nearly as much as she used to. Oh we'll I think I'm waiting on a molt

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My genic took months to adjust when I brought her home. Now she just sits in her water dish or right next to it, 24/7. She hasn't moved from that spot in... probably 9 months. The male barely moves too.

Tarantulas are weird. Acanthoscurria species are even weirder.
Just...wow. Sometimes I wished my big girl would be like that, but she's moving around a lot. The last week she spent to lay webbing nearly everywhere in the enclosure. Relocated some substrate from one corner to the other, stuffed her plastic plants into her cave (which finally convinced me to remove them completely now) and is overall often changing position. Pretty active T.