need infos about Thrixopelma ockerti

carl

Arachnopeon
cool t's cheetah13mo

i agree, my ava wouldnt flick right away but she likes to raise her rump.

@gumby
ockertis are really gorgeous, imho you have to see one in person because pictures dont give them justice

felmor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
guys, i wonder about the adult size of this one? this one is a very gorgeous, I should look for one or two!

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm glad to see a thread on this subject. I have a female wrapping an egg sack right now. Because of the rarity of the species, I'm finding it difficult to find info on care of the egg sack.

Has anyone bred ockerti and would care to give info on the eggs? Gestation, temps, humidity, length of time before removing from the female, etc would be a great start and help.

btw, very interestingly enough I saw courtship behavior that I've never witnessed before in T's with ockerti!

felmor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my T. ockerti never wanted to be on ground, trying to live as arboreal, i haved yet rehouse her, I guess I'll do it now. lol

Valko

Arachnopeon
Hi ;

I received a gift 4 T. ockerti born into 2011/02 and I would like just to know the rate of humidity to be had and if the substrate must be wet, a little or not ?

Thank you for your assistance.
Cordially

Valko

Arachnopeon
Hi ;

The link does not work and was not fluent in English I allowed myself to ask directly.
I try but I obviously could not find a record of maintenance.

Sorry for the inconvenience but good when there is not much need for help :sarcasm:

I apologize for my English but I use the Google translator :biggrin:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my spiders soil semi-moist. The top is slightly dry, but not really. Crumbly moist?
This species enjoys trees and higher places.
Humidity in my enclosure is around 80-90% or more depending on the day. (estimate)

Valko

Arachnopeon
Hi ;

Crysta thank you very much for your information and photo, it really helps.

Cordially

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
still would not mind others who have these to post how they care for theirs. i keep mine on dry soil, but one corner is wet. im thinking about just wetting everything down. cant seem to get the humidity quite right yet either. 60ish. cant put her in the tank with the versi. the enclosure is too big. blocked one side so less ventilation. keeps steadyu at 60ish. lol. my room is at 75 most times. always at 70 or higher. shes eating and moving around. should i put a hide in there? shes on the ground most of the time and i have a branch in there. idk. still not that much info on here (and YEAH, i DID use the search button), a bunch of "for sale" very very little info on actual care.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep my female with mostly dry cocofiber (though I do sometimes pour some water into the sub). I don't have a hygrometer in there, so I don't know the actual humidity. It's in a 2.5 gallon tank that's set up vertically with a screen lid. Now that it's about 3 1/2" it's out and about all the time, only running to hide when I open the tank. I also have a much smaller male, which I keep in a 32 oz cup with more moisture.

bchbum11

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From my research on the species, it is located in area that has severe seasonal rains. That's why they are semi arboreal... The spiders are on the ground for much of the year, then take to the trees when annunal flooding occurs. I haven't had any problem with raising mine in an open screen topped aquarium with weekly mistings. The substrate goes bone dry mid week. They seem pretty hardy and able to adapt to a wide range of humidity, but appear to have a pretty strict set of climate cues for reproduction.

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
well, as i have had my girl for about two months now, she is, i believe in heavy pre-molt. i THINK she has a molting-mat down. its like a cup that she made last night and its high on the sides but open at the top. shes just sitting there. the webbing is new, as i have not seen her do this cup-like web before. so, any info about molting habits would be nice. will go do the "search thing" too.

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
t. okerti.jpg

The T. Ockerti's are so programmed it's ridiculous

It's always funny to open up a container with a juvie in it, then open an adult container and
watch them do the same thing. it's the exact same ritual everytime.

Once they get to adult size that same practice is even more strange.

They stick their rumps up in the air and sway them up and down / back and forth
but when you look at them from the side, it actually looks like a smashed/dead tarantula

That's got to be one of the most bizarre defense mechanisms i've seen in Tarantulas

It looks like it fell from five feet and went splat into the substrate -

I'll make monica take some pics of the full size adult - the dark red coloring is amazing
it'd be funny to photoshop an adult and juvie doing the same thing - just to compare

thats my two cents!

- aaron

Jenthevet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a juvie T. ockerti. It is about 2.5" legspan and has molted twice but of course, the molt is all twisted and I can't tell the gender yet. It has a hardy appetite, LOVES to kick hairs but runs first, and hides during the day under a large leaf I have in the enclosure. It drinks well from a small bottle cap. I keep it on a blend of peat/coco fiber/soil and just keep the bowl filled. My T room is about 72-78 all the time and humidity is around 30-50%. It's been doing great!

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Not really a rare species in my opinion... Tarcan has good size T. ockerti for less than $50