Nematode Problem

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So because Malaria is not airborne by it's self(like nematodes), we should not worry about it? Your OP said nothing of transmission and made it seem as it was not possible. I think you should give this one up, Chris. ;P

Whoa..when did I type it was something not to be concerned about? Clearly you forgot the rest of my post which went along w/my OP :D >>>> "You would be crazy not to isolate your T when possible into a new container to be safe. Worms are parasites plain and simple."

I only replied to his concern of nematodes being airborne, nothing more or less on that single point.

Here's an analogy- Guy with a gallon of gasoline asks "Will this gas explode in my gas can" - the most basic answer is "No". (my answer), as gas won't explode just sitting there in a can in a stable environment, if it did, garages would be blowing up spontaneously on a regular basis...

However, you come along and say "Well yes it will explode if it reaches its flash point" A true statement, provided it gets hot enough.

I'll only give this one up if there are some spare Avics :D ;)

shelpen

Arachnosquire
a quick update --

since she molted I do not see any white stuff on/around her mouth. Phew...

She is in a new enclosure with new substrate moisten with Dasani. New water dish (use Dasani again just because it's the only bottled water I've got and I don't want to use tap water). I upped the temp in the spider room to 83F with humidity around 40%.

And i'm getting a colony of dubias today. Hell with the Petsmart crickets!

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
a quick update --

since she molted I do not see any white stuff on/around her mouth. Phew...

She is in a new enclosure with new substrate moisten with Dasani. New water dish (use Dasani again just because it's the only bottled water I've got and I don't want to use tap water). I upped the temp in the spider room to 83F with humidity around 40%.

And i'm getting a colony of dubias today. Hell with the Petsmart crickets!
Getting dubias are the best. You won't even miss the crickets, I sure as hell didnt! [emoji106] Good luck with the nematodes!!

shelpen

Arachnosquire
Another update --

The curly hasn't eaten since she molted about 2 weeks ago...

Noticed some crusty white stuff around her mouth about a week ago, tried to clean it - she was rather feisty and tried to bite...

Gave her a roach tonight - she grabbed it but didn't munch/chew on it... Upon a closer inspection (while handling) I found that her chelicerae don't open any more - she wanted but couldn't bite me. Once a q-tip was actually in her mouth, she would not let it go, but no actual "opening" of the mouth and grabbing it...

I guess I'll be freezing her after all.

I'm very sad. I really like her from the beginning. She seemed to have a character.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Another update --

Noticed some crusty white stuff around her mouth about a week ago, tried to clean it - she was rather feisty and tried to bite...

Gave her a roach tonight - she grabbed it but didn't munch/chew on it... Upon a closer inspection (while handling) I found that her chelicerae don't open any more - she wanted but couldn't bite me. Once a q-tip was actually in her mouth, she would not let it go, but no actual "opening" of the mouth and grabbing it...

I'm very sad. I really like her from the beginning. She seemed to have a character.
That really, really sucks,I'm sorry..

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
Very sad man... quick question (and sorry for the noob one) does T's also go in hibernation when frozen?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That white crusty stuff around her mouth, very well could be food remains, or poop.

B. albopilosum can be akward creatures when it comes to biting also. She might not be quite trying to bite you. I wouldnt be dead positive that her chelicerae wont open. And alot of tarantulas once they bite hold of something, dont like to let go. I had a rosea, that snagged my paintbrush and tweezers. Had to use my 16" hemostats to get them back out of her grasp.

I wouldnt put her in the freezer. I would give her some time to see if she actually will eat, and see if she actually declines. Try prekilling the roaches, split them in half longways, and open them up, letting her suck on the insides. Basically fold them open like a book. There could be nothing wrong with her at all, she might just be a weird tarantula, or she might pull out of it. And i remember reading on here a couple years back that freezing a tarantula is about the worst way to kill one.
Another update --

shelpen

Arachnosquire
14pokies, Whaagh -- thank you, guys!

catfishrod69 -- I'm dead positive that she cannot open her mouth. I watched her trying to munch on a roach... She picks up pre-killed ones I leave her but after a while just drops them (without making a mushed ball out of them). I will try a bigger ones split open tomorrow. Actually she went for a live one last time but dropped it pretty quickly...

The truth is I just don't have a heart to put her in the freezer so I wait til she is in a death curl or something.

shelpen

Arachnosquire
the final update --

found her in a death curl this morning... barely alive...

RIP lil' curly one

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the final update --

found her in a death curl this morning... barely alive...

RIP lil' curly one
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. DO NOT throw her out until you smell her actually dead.

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
How terribly sad, I'm truly sorry for your loss. Thank you for this post, it will help other owners to identify and try to treat such problem. :(

shelpen

Arachnosquire
Cherrypeep, Tarantula Fangs -- thank you guys!
I still get teary thinking about her...