New Juvenile B. hamorii: Stressed or in Premolt?

Toffee Bean

Arachnopeon
Hello,
I am brand-new to the tarantula hobby, and I decided to purchase a 2 inch long juvie B. hamorii as my first tarantula.
I have had my new t for almost a week now, and I'm starting to grow worried about them.
When I got them, I noticed that their colors were a bit dull, their abdomen was quite large, and they had what seemed to be a bald spot on their abdomen that had grown dark, which, based off of my research, are potential signs of premolt. However, according to the employee that helped me purchase the t, they had eaten soon (potentially a day) before I got them, so I thought I might have misread the signs and decided to put them in the enclosure I prepared for them.
For the first few days, they did not seem stressed at all. They would sit in their enclosure on my desk and hardly move anywhere for the entire day. They still do, but yesterday, I noticed that they were in what might have been a stress curl. I refilled the water dish and tried to feed them an injured cricket that same day, but they wouldn't eat. I took the cricket out after only a minute or two because the t started to hide their face from it. After that, I left them alone and tried to limit light and movement from me as much as I could.
This morning, I checked on them again, and I noticed that they've climbed the walls of their enclosure, which they haven't done since I got them. Thankfully, there's less than 3 inches between the top of the enclosure and the substrate, but the height is still making me nervous and I'm planning to put more coco fiber in that specific corner the first chance I get. The only specific change I noticed between these behaviors and the behaviors they were showing before yesterday was the addition of a space heater, and even then, I didn't see them in the potential stress curl until about three days after I put the heater in.
I try to keep the temperature of the enclosure in the 22-24°C range to be on the safe side, since my apartment can get a bit cold at night. My apartment is usually fairly humid already, so I keep the substrate dry and focus on keeping the water dish filled. I try to keep noises and vibrations to a minimum (i.e. I close doors very carefully, on the occasion I use my desk or put objects on it, I make a conscious effort to not budge the desk, I step softly around my bedroom), but there are noises outside my control, such as when someone decides to mow the grass on my complex or a plane flies by. My apartment gets a lot of sunlight, but some of the photos shown here are as bright as it gets where the t is at.

But, again, there haven't really been any significant changes to the environment since I got them, so, are they stressed? Is it premolt? Is it too soon to truly know what normal behavior is for this particular t?
20240508_104550.jpg 20240509_104408.jpg 20240509_104448.jpg 20240509_104451.jpg 20240510_101505.jpg
Sorry for the mini novella, I wanted to include as much relevant information as I could. Below are images of the t before yesterday, yesterday, and today respectively.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
73 degrees is plenty warm enough for them. Unless your temp dips below 65 degrees, I think you should be fine. 65 is a tad on the cool end, but they will be ok. May not grow as quick. But, as you may or may not know (added heat sources to enclosures are not ideal). Potentially deadly.

It sounds like you've done quite a bit of research. They are very likely just settling in and that's stressful on any T. Those are signs of premolt, so I'd recommend staying the course with what you're doing minus the heat pad or whatever your using. Full water dishes and no feeding. Give them some time. That T can go a long time without eating.

Brachy's are notoriously resilient and are tough in general.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
normal any noise /vibrations etc are non issue my cat jumps onto my t cages and tool cart i keep them on everyday to watch them. do be sure the cage is not in the sun coming in from a window temps are fine for it might wanna run a fan to keep the air moving i'm apartment living also and it gets muggy to during the summer so i keep a fan/ac running all the time. good luck and enjoy your pet rock

Attachments

Toffee Bean

Arachnopeon
73 degrees is plenty warm enough for them. Unless your temp dips below 65 degrees, I think you should be fine. 65 is a tad on the cool end, but they will be ok. May not grow as quick. But, as you may or may not know (added heat sources to enclosures are not ideal). Potentially deadly.

It sounds like you've done quite a bit of research. They are very likely just settling in and that's stressful on any T. Those are signs of premolt, so I'd recommend staying the course with what you're doing minus the heat pad or whatever your using. Full water dishes and no feeding. Give them some time. That T can go a long time without eating.

Brachy's are notoriously resilient and are tough in general.
Thank you for the feedback! I heard that space heaters are a safe way to keep an area warm for a t as long as I put it at a reasonable distance. I've read that heat pads and heat lamps aren't an option because tarantulas could burn themselves or overheat very easily with them, but are there any particular concerns around space heaters that I should be aware of?

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Awww lil bro is probably just settling in. It can take a while sometimes. Abdomen looks fine and you've provided a water dish and a hide and everything else looks good so no need to worry 🧡
Regarding space heaters, I can't really think of issues they might cause if, like you mentioned, it isn't too close. I don't think it would be necessary though as 23⁰ celcius is a great temp. If you're comfortable with the room temp, the tarantulas are fine tbh.
Congrats on your first tarantula!

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
Hello,
I am brand-new to the tarantula hobby, and I decided to purchase a 2 inch long juvie B. hamorii as my first tarantula.
I have had my new t for almost a week now, and I'm starting to grow worried about them.
When I got them, I noticed that their colors were a bit dull, their abdomen was quite large, and they had what seemed to be a bald spot on their abdomen that had grown dark, which, based off of my research, are potential signs of premolt. However, according to the employee that helped me purchase the t, they had eaten soon (potentially a day) before I got them, so I thought I might have misread the signs and decided to put them in the enclosure I prepared for them.
For the first few days, they did not seem stressed at all. They would sit in their enclosure on my desk and hardly move anywhere for the entire day. They still do, but yesterday, I noticed that they were in what might have been a stress curl. I refilled the water dish and tried to feed them an injured cricket that same day, but they wouldn't eat. I took the cricket out after only a minute or two because the t started to hide their face from it. After that, I left them alone and tried to limit light and movement from me as much as I could.
This morning, I checked on them again, and I noticed that they've climbed the walls of their enclosure, which they haven't done since I got them. Thankfully, there's less than 3 inches between the top of the enclosure and the substrate, but the height is still making me nervous and I'm planning to put more coco fiber in that specific corner the first chance I get. The only specific change I noticed between these behaviors and the behaviors they were showing before yesterday was the addition of a space heater, and even then, I didn't see them in the potential stress curl until about three days after I put the heater in.
I try to keep the temperature of the enclosure in the 22-24°C range to be on the safe side, since my apartment can get a bit cold at night. My apartment is usually fairly humid already, so I keep the substrate dry and focus on keeping the water dish filled. I try to keep noises and vibrations to a minimum (i.e. I close doors very carefully, on the occasion I use my desk or put objects on it, I make a conscious effort to not budge the desk, I step softly around my bedroom), but there are noises outside my control, such as when someone decides to mow the grass on my complex or a plane flies by. My apartment gets a lot of sunlight, but some of the photos shown here are as bright as it gets where the t is at.

But, again, there haven't really been any significant changes to the environment since I got them, so, are they stressed? Is it premolt? Is it too soon to truly know what normal behavior is for this particular t?
View attachment 473052 View attachment 473053 View attachment 473054 View attachment 473055 View attachment 473056
Sorry for the mini novella, I wanted to include as much relevant information as I could. Below are images of the t before yesterday, yesterday, and today respectively.
Kudos to you for doing as much research as you have! The temps you record in your apartment are fine. As has been already stated, 68-75 is pretty decent.

everything seems to be pointing towards settling in and probably premolt. No matter the Ts size, they have a bit of a “clock” that once they have eaten enough to start the molt cycle, they will stop eating.
Congrats on your new jungle gerbil and can’t wait to see her/him in all their glory post molt!