new T - ID needed

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nemisis,

he's between 4 - 5 inch leg span - how big do C. paganus get?

Ive been looking on the net this afternoon and it looks pretty similar to the pics of Haplopelma 'longipedum' that I found.

Its pretty hard to tell from pics though

cheers,

Stu.

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by stu
nemisis,

he's between 4 - 5 inch leg span - how big do C. paganus get?

Ive been looking on the net this afternoon and it looks pretty similar to the pics of Haplopelma 'longipedum' that I found.

Its pretty hard to tell from pics though

cheers,

Stu.
thats about right size of a C. paganus female - the male matures pretty small too...a friend of mine was suprised by the small size of his boxer.

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just had a quick look round for C. paganus

Did you mean Cyriopagopus paganus? isnt that the same T as H. 'longipedum' ?

I get real confused with these T species names sometimes :?

cheers,

Stu

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
heres a blondi mate,you should be able to see the difference now,
you will pick it up in no time just keep trying;)

Cheers
Brendan;)

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by stu
just had a quick look round for C. paganus

Did you mean Cyriopagopus paganus? isnt that the same T as H. 'longipedum' ?

I get real confused with these T species names sometimes :?

cheers,

Stu
Hi Stu.
Here's the potted version

Big black spiders are imported for the pet trade years ago. Nobody knows what they are so they get called C. paganus.

Turns out the type specimen (the "blueprint" spider of the species, if you like) is missing. So no way can we compare these spiders to the original. So, are they C. paganus? Who knows!

Volker takes a look at these black beasts and finds out that they are, colour aside, identical to H. lividum. Possibly even a sub-species (though sub-species are generally not used in tarantula taxonomy). He gives the species a working name of Haplopelma sp."longipedum". The inverted commas and the "sp." part are very important, they indicate that the species has not been published or officially described yet. To call it Haplopelma longipedum would be wrong.

So, there's probably no such thing in the trade as C.paganus, and as there's no holotype for C.paganus, we can't really check. Because we can't rule out that it might be C.paganus, it can't be described for sure as H. longipedum. So for now it is a species in limbo, stuck with a tentative working name

The short version of that is "You can probably assume they are the same thing ;)"

There's another very similar spider being imported from Vietnam that is a different species again - your spider could well be one of these.

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cheers lopez,

yeah, it all gets confusing doesnt it :?

well at least I know how to look after the little fella - he seems quite happy in his new tank - the locust I put in seem to vanish overnight - although I havnt actually seen him since he burrowed.

hopefully he will continue to extend his burrow against the side of the tank so at least I can check if he is fine (or still in there :) )

cheers for the help,

Stu.