Newbie mistakes

gobey

Arachnoknight
Indeed. I just received four P.cambridgei slings late last week, and I'm already noticing some variation in defensive behavior between them. One of them is actually rather mellow (for now), while two of them are very skittish, but seem to prefer flight over fight. Of course that could change to the complete opposite within a few molts. One of the slings has already appears to be quite defensive, as it threw me a threat pose while I was feeding it. Seeing a 3/4 inch spiderling baring its fangs at you is rather cute in my opinion.
I have 2 P. regalis slings. 1 loves to show off. It's very mellow. (So far) the other is terrified of everything and built a very deep burrow in shpagnum moss. They're easily my quickest moving tarantulas so far. Even the H. macs and OBTs seem to move slower.

I have 2. L.p.s that seem to teleport too however. Surprisingly fast for 4 and 5" terrestrial NW. They appear in completely different spots in a turn of the head. Especially the smaller female. She also likes to wall herself in a hide. The other likes to come out and explore more.

Another time last year with me not thinking stuck two on my fingers in my juvie B albo's closure to grab something and immediately almost got tagged. Definently some learning experiences.
These stories make me nervous lol. I have 4 slings. I got my first 2 because I heard they are usually such reliably mellow tarantulas. But you never know. That's why you always be careful and test the temperament before putting your hands near them. I work around all of mine with tongs.

Only my Avic do I put my hands in the tank. But I block him off and he usually hides and stays put. I don't block him for bites. It's for his tendency to wander.

Here's a newbie lesson from maybe a month ago. Maybe a little less even. I banked on cleaning his poo stains on the plastic while he was close to me and not chilling in his hide with the cover over him. Sure enough instead of covering his head and staying put. He said "time to play catch the Avic!" And went for a stroll outside.

I knew I shouldn't have done that. He was already in one of his wandering moods before I decided to try maintenance. I learned there's a time for maintenance and a time to wait. Tarantulas can live without cleaning for a bit. They're good like that.