Newbie Question!

Freakish

Arachnopeon
I am still within the return window, we're all good. I fattened her up quite a bit so I'm not to worried for her and they keep their tarantulas up high so it's likely she'll sit until someone who knows what they're doing comes along. Their rose hair slings are $10 so those will always go before the more pricey ones.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I am wondering what made you change your mind on the LP. Was it that you decided three were too many to care for, the potential size, the reputation of their urticating hair? Not going to pass judgment, those are all legitimate reasons to have a change of heart. I'm just curious.

cold blood

Staff member
hmph.. shows what you know. My hair is now Black Cherry.. ;P

Mmmmmmmm, black cherry! :}

---------- Post added 04-12-2015 at 07:54 PM ----------

I am wondering what made you change your mind on the LP. Was it that you decided three were too many to care for, the potential size, the reputation of their urticating hair? Not going to pass judgment, those are all legitimate reasons to have a change of heart. I'm just curious.
Yeah 1 extra t won't even be noticed, the extra work would be negligible.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Peer pressure!!!!

My favorite T was my biggest Lasiodora parahybana. He was so goofy. Full of personality! Always active. And would eat up to 8 crickets at once!!!!

And I had him with 15 other Ts. 8 different species.

He was still my favorite.

Sadly he died after molting this winter. I was really upset. I've had a few pass since I started. But none bothered me like losing him did. :(

Luckily his little sister is still with me. She's got her own quirks. She's a bit more skittish though. Still a great species and she's a lot more visible and active than she used to be.

Freakish

Arachnopeon
It's really hard to let her go because she is so full of personality but I am trying to be responsible. I purchased three very small slings that don't take up much room not taking into consideration the size of their adult enclosures. I am a girl and personally do not like rows upon rows upon racks of tanks, I think it looks - especially to those outside of my hobbies - like a pet shop, aquarium or zoo. We are also just starting out so we don't have the biggest place and with a toddler, that is just one more thing to baby-proof and worry about. It was an irresponsible decision to bring the LP home and I feel it's best for her and for my family that she goes home with someone else. I am not afraid of a spiders potential size, urticating hair or any of that, I just cannot forsee room for her as an adult and that is ultimately driving my decision to return her. It wouldn't be fair to keep her crammed up because I didn't purchase her with her adult needs in mind.

gobey

Arachnoknight
It's really hard to let her go because she is so full of personality but I am trying to be responsible. I purchased three very small slings that don't take up much room not taking into consideration the size of their adult enclosures. I am a girl and personally do not like rows upon rows upon racks of tanks, I think it looks - especially to those outside of my hobbies - like a pet shop, aquarium or zoo. We are also just starting out so we don't have the biggest place and with a toddler, that is just one more thing to baby-proof and worry about. It was an irresponsible decision to bring the LP home and I feel it's best for her and for my family that she goes home with someone else. I am not afraid of a spiders potential size, urticating hair or any of that, I just cannot forsee room for her as an adult and that is ultimately driving my decision to return her. It wouldn't be fair to keep her crammed up because I didn't purchase her with her adult needs in mind.
I feel that. I just gave away a B. albopilosum sling. Not necessarily because I'd have no room. But I had 3 of them. I don't need that many. :/
I feel like 2 of any species is enough. If only to see how personality differs and increase odds of a female. But I'd rather have variety now if I add Ts. Even if they're unsexed and turn out male. Doesn't matter to me really anymore.

I also found better homes for 2 rather troublesome slings. Not that I couldn't have handled raising them. Or was afraid of them. But I just wasn't enjoying interacting with them. Which wasn't good. They're with somebody who appreciates them more than I now.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Nothing wrong with any of your explanation. I've known people who have downsized. I'm rather of your mindset as far as having stacks of them, I myself prefer to only have enough where they can be displayed attractively. which isn't to say that there is anything wrong with keeping them in stacks, it's just a matter a preference. I only have 6. I had 7 before my G. rosea passed apparently of old age. One of the remaining ones, the Hapalopus "Pumpkin Patch" hooked out a while back, so it's time is limited. I'm not sure what the future will bring as far as the gender of the rest, but odds are I have more males-in-waiting. In any case,for me I think 5-10 would be the absolute limit, and it is doubtful I will ever have as many as 10. There are only a couple more I really would like to have in any case, really. I have an LP that so far I rather like, which I guess is what prompted my question.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Nothing wrong with any of your explanation. I've known people who have downsized. I'm rather of your mindset as far as having stacks of them, I myself prefer to only have enough where they can be displayed attractively. which isn't to say that there is anything wrong with keeping them in stacks, it's just a matter a preference. I only have 6. I had 7 before my G. rosea passed apparently of old age. One of the remaining ones, the Hapalopus "Pumpkin Patch" hooked out a while back, so it's time is limited. I'm not sure what the future will bring as far as the gender of the rest, but odds are I have more males-in-waiting. In any case,for me I think 5-10 would be the absolute limit, and it is doubtful I will ever have as many as 10. There are only a couple more I really would like to have in any case, really. I have an LP that so far I rather like, which I guess is what prompted my question.
I originally bought my Ts in pairs to increase odds for a female.

I now care less about it. I see having males actually as an ok thing because it's opportunity to replace them quicker with a new species!
Male tarantulas need love too!
Plus I'm more confident shipping tarantulas now. So hopefully my future mature males will find homes with my favorite breeders.

I have to say though. Choosing which little B. albopilosum to give up was really hard. And I was sad when I gave him away. :(
But he's with a good friend of mine now who loves spiders. So that's comforting. I kept it's sacmate which is close to an inch now. Hopefully this molt. And decided to keep my itty bitty one as the 2nd one. As it's only one of 3 from a different sac that survived from a different friend's surprise gift to me. He's lucky. And his slower growth rate than those other 2 big ones makes me hope it could be a girl.

Originally giving this albopilosum away too Tim would've put me at an even 10 tarantulas for now too.

But I kind of swapped out that B. albo and impulse bought myself a B. smithi while I was at it!!! XD

Freakish

Arachnopeon
I also keep fish and reptiles so you have to consider that as far as my limit goes. I have tanks other than just these two spiders and I did feel it was best. My boyfriend laughed this morning when I brought her in, her molt sealed in packing tape with her species and the date written on it and her deli with her last molt date, the last day she ate, her species and her name on the top. I like to keep track of my animals and preserving molts/sheds is fun to look back on when they're grown. Now I'm down to "Bug" and "Butters" my chromatus and my pulchripes. I wanted to buy in trios for females but I couldn't pay $25 a pop. I'm broke, haha! So I just left it to fate. I only want females so they're around longer. A B. smithi or A. geniculata is probably next on my list but for now I'm happy. My chromatus hasn't been out of her hide in three days but I shone a flashlight in there and she is still tan as ever and devouring crickets. Is it mean to take her hide (a pvc "t joint") out?

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
no one mentioned feeding dubia roaches, if your T is hungry and doesn't let them burrow they are a great odorless meal.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
A B. smithi or A. geniculata is probably next on my list but for now I'm happy.
I have both, but I really love the genic. In a way they complement each other, with one being a fast-grower and the other being slow. They both become gorgeous spiders. I've seen a few folks say that they think genics are boring looking, but I could never agree with that sentiment.

Freakish

Arachnopeon
I think genics are stunning. I love their big, thick abdomen. To me, when I see adults, I see a very well-rounded, hearty spider. It brings out the little girl in me that just wants to squeeze them!

.. This is becoming a problem. lol

Freakish

Arachnopeon
My chomatus is out this morning, spending a lot of time on top of her PVC. She keeps getting down then going back up, it's rather cute to watch. I did let my pulchripes touch me today but he started feeling me up with his pedipalps and I got nervous. He was sitting, relaxed, at the side of his deli so I took a ruler to him. He's exactly 1' from tip to tip in a relaxed position. Is a 4"x3" deli large enough for him? Should he have a water dish? Should my dime-sized chomatus? I've just been spraying the side of their cups a few times a week for water.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
My chomatus is out this morning, spending a lot of time on top of her PVC. She keeps getting down then going back up, it's rather cute to watch. I did let my pulchripes touch me today but he started feeling me up with his pedipalps and I got nervous. He was sitting, relaxed, at the side of his deli so I took a ruler to him. He's exactly 1' from tip to tip in a relaxed position. Is a 4"x3" deli large enough for him? Should he have a water dish? Should my dime-sized chomatus? I've just been spraying the side of their cups a few times a week for water.
Water dishes are a hotly debated topic. In my mind, EVERY spider benefits from one, even if it's small. Better to have one that's not needed then have a spider who needs a drink and can't get one. Plus, as I've discovered, some like using them for toilets. :sarcasm:

Misting, on the other hand, generally not that useful. It evaporates too fast to be of benefit to species who need high humidity, and is unnecessary for those who don't. If you have a species with a higher humidity requirements, it is generally recommended to pour some water on a portion of the substrate.

Freakish

Arachnopeon
Should I use those really thin water bottle caps for my chromatus? She's really small.. What size would I be looking for in my 1" pulchripes case?

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Should I use those really thin water bottle caps for my chromatus? She's really small.. What size would I be looking for in my 1" pulchripes case?
A water or soda bottle cap is fine for a small one. They won't drown, don't worry. Just make sure there are no sharp plastic bits on it; with some of them, when it breaks from the security ring, it leaves sharp pointy things. If you run your finger around the edge and feel anything pokey, that's not a good candidate for a water dish.

My GBB is only 1" too, has a two-liter bottle cap, and is fine with it.

cold blood

Staff member

All mine get a water dish as soon as the size of the enclosure allows, for good eaters, this could be as early as 1/2", by 1" they've all definitely got a water dish.

The water bottle lid is a perfect "dish"

Freakish

Arachnopeon
Great! Thank you all for the info, I'll get them some water dishes. My pulchripes went in his burrow with a cricket, should I urge him out? It isn't deep enough for his whole body. I don't know if he has it or not..

On another note, income taxes came, I may order them acrylic containers so I can observe them better and offer more substrate to burrow in and decorate them a bit nicer.