Nhandu chromatus care help

JaxJack

Arachnopeon
I recently got a new T believed to be female. She was already in a set up enclosure when I got her with a mulch looking substrate. I had planned to change out her substrate and change some other parts of her enclosure. Upon further inspection I noticed what seemed to be little white mites in her terrarium. I'm not sure if mulch just happens to attract mites more or what but either way the mulch is going. I don't understand the use of mulch if she might possibly be borrowing. Anyway, I was wondering what the best process of cleaning her terrarium out might be. Knowing that this species is a bit finicky with handling, I don't plan to handle her as to not stress her out and not potentially get myself bitten. I have another T that I use cocofiber for and was wondering if thats a good substrate for her or if I should get something else. I do have a whole bunch of moss, too. I read somewhere that commercial soils would be alright to use and wasn't too sure how true that was. Please correct me on anything as I am only 17 and do love these babies! I just need to know exactly how to give them that love!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Put catch cup over T

Use questions marks if you want more more responses, otherwise It looks like you are rambling with your 20 lines of text

I am Raf

Arachnopeon
Can you take a picture of these white mites? I'm guessing they just might be springtails. But anyway, even if there are soil mites in the substrate, they don't pose a risk to the tarantula. If you want to get rid of them, put a slice of cucumber in the enclosure and remove it once the mites start feeding on it. Repeat till mites are gone.

It's very unlikely these are actual predatory mites that infest tarantulas

Also, no tarantula species likes handling.

Also also, the taxonomy changed - Nhandu chromatus is now classified as Vitalius chromatus

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
just allow the dirt to dry out while keeping its water dish full you will notice as things dry out both mites and spring tails will pile into the water dish then all you do is keep dumping it out and replace with fresh water

JaxJack

Arachnopeon
Put catch cup over T

Use questions marks if you want more more responses, otherwise It looks like you are rambling with your 20 lines of text
Alright, thank you! So sorry for the confusion without the question marks!

Can you take a picture of these white mites? I'm guessing they just might be springtails. But anyway, even if there are soil mites in the substrate, they don't pose a risk to the tarantula. If you want to get rid of them, put a slice of cucumber in the enclosure and remove it once the mites start feeding on it. Repeat till mites are gone.

It's very unlikely these are actual predatory mites that infest tarantulas

Also, no tarantula species likes handling.

Also also, the taxonomy changed - Nhandu chromatus is now classified as Vitalius chromatus
Thank you for the correction! Also, I understand the handling part I only meant as in Vitalius chromatus are more skittish as to other Ts. Of course, I do not handle my Ts often because of that fact. I love them but they are very much not cuddle buddies! I mostly only ever handle them for moving purposes but if that is also a no-go, let me know and I will change how I move them from enclosures!

just allow the dirt to dry out while keeping its water dish full you will notice as things dry out both mites and spring tails will pile into the water dish then all you do is keep dumping it out and replace with fresh water
Will try this out! Any idea on what the best substrate would be? I am currently hoping to change from a mulch substrate to some kind of soil. Cocofiber or something else?

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
i use mainly coco fiber with repti soil mixed or topsoil some people say coco fiber molds or doesnt hold burrows good etc i've never had issues with it

cold blood

Staff member
Will try this out! Any idea on what the best substrate would be?
there is no "best substrate"....there are a myriad of acceptable substrates you can use from top soil, to peat moss to coco fiber and any of the commercially available concoctions like eco earth, jungle mix, spider life, etc etc. All are fine to use and can even be combined in any manner you like....what you choose will be the keeper's choice (your personal preference).

You are correct that wood chips are not in this acceptable category, but don't go breaking your brain trying to figure out the best choice...just grab the one you like best or have available and go with it....substrate is not an area to be over-thinking.

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
Rehousing is part of the hobby, and you never have to touch a tarantula if you don't want to (I don't handle mine). There are several good rehousing methods, but you can't go wrong watching a few Tom's Big Spiders YouTube rehousing videos. I find my defensive, "stand your ground" spiders to be the easiest to rehouse, because you don't have to worry about them bolting--they just may strike at the paintbrush or slap the cup a bit. Cup it, guide it into a temporary container (or use one of the Tarantula Room British-style catch tubes with a lid on both ends, and just leave it there while you're working), fix up the enclosure however you need, and put the spider back. Whether or not you have mites, the wood chips are not an appropriate substrate, so might as well start fresh regardless.