Not a great moult.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I would get the excess corn starch off her and out of the cage. With their grooming after drinking and eating, she could injest some of that.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Oh man, sorry about your T Tim! Fingers crossed everything turns out okay! Good luck!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Thanks for the tip, Poec. And thank-you lalberts.

Most of it has dropped off or she kicked it off, (or possibly cleaned it off and consumed it, I guess. Hope not.) all that remains is a bit on her abdomen, a teeny spot atop the carapace, and a little on the hind right leg. As skittish as she is brushing the remainder off might be risky. The next time she moves away from the moulting silk I can remove that if that seems prudent, that's where most of it ended up it appears.

The TKG suggest a neosporin-type antibiotic. Maybe cornstarch would be bad, but I figure a chemical soup would be even worse. I'm personally not too keen on that for the same reasons you are concerned about ingestion of the corn starch. Plus applying a oily substance to a place that I'm guessing should be allowed to dry seems a bit counterintuitive. but I'm pretty much flying blind so the opposite may be true.

I've been trying to detect if the bare spot has herniated, but I really can't draw any conclusion.I suppose the best I can do is monitor her and hope for the best. If my reasoning with using an antibiotic ointment is flawed, I'm willing to listen to opposing views on the matter. Not sure how I would apply it, just the cornstarch dropping onto her made her start skittering away. I'm figuring any motion that she herself does not wish to initiate will not be helpful. A secondary infection would be icing on the cake. Which is in fact what I thought of when I was unable to localize the cornstarch as well as I had hoped I could.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well...I'm now beginning to think that all hope may be lost. To me, it looks like it has herniated. Those who are bothered by this sort of thing might want to avoid it. The poor guy is still moving and acting like it is just another day, but I am afraid that is not the case. I can't tell with 100% certainty, but it sure looks bulged out to me. :(

Attachments

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well...I'm now beginning to think that all hope may be lost. To me, it looks like it has herniated. Those who are bothered by this sort of thing might want to avoid it. The poor guy is still moving and acting like it is just another day, but I am afraid that is not the case. I can't tell with 100% certainty, but it sure looks bulged out to me. :(
Ouch. That's looking really rough. I'm very sorry this has happened to it. It appears as though her internal organs have started pushing through the thin wall of the opisthosoma and are starting to swell. I am hoping for a miracle for her...

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hate to say it but at this point I would put the spider in the freezer. I would not let it suffer any longer. It will eventually die. This is my opinion, Tim.

Jose

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I'm afraid I have to agree. :( I gave her a close examination using the most powerful magnifying glass I have and a flashlight, and there is no hope. I was so proud of that spider. I still have the others, and they a fine tarantulas, but she was the best of the lot. All of the anticipation came down to this. Crap.:cry:

I'll go make a space for her.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Thanks, Ellen. And thanks again to all those who tried to help and/or offered sympathy.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Thanks, Ellen. And thanks again to all those who tried to help and/or offered sympathy.
Thats so rough . if u was closer id make u take my lil genic (tho unsexed lol) cuz ik how much u wanted one and now this.. Its like an evil metal boomerang..