OBT or not to OBT, that is the question.

naychur

Arachnosquire
I just reluctantly got "permission" to get my first OBT, but I want to make sure this is something I can handle before I jump into it. I currently have 8 Ts (G pulchripes, G pulcra, 2 GBB's, 2 M cabocla's, A avicularia, B bohemi). I have been keeping Ts for 1 year. All but 3 Ts I have raised from a sling. I have only suffered 1 loss (A purpurea sling).

I know that OBTs are aggressive and are a "lookie but don't touchie" spider. I am also aware that they can teleport. How difficult are they to keep? Do you think I need more T experience before I take on an OBT?

Thanks for your help!

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
They are not difficult to keep - they are incredibly hardy spiders. I cannot answer if you are ready - I am of the opinion that, if one questions others about readiness, one isn't ready. However, if you are prepared for a fast, skittish and defensive T and you go into it with caution, you should be OK.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am of the opinion that, if one questions others about readiness, one isn't ready.
VERY well put.

---------- Post added 03-22-2013 at 08:59 PM ----------

Naychur, right now youre on the ledge. We are NOT going to talk you down. You should know members want you to jump haha.

Just get the damned thing...ya know you want to :biggrin:

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
if you do decide to get one start with a sling that way you can understand their speed, because you won't truly understand teleporting until your eye seeing it. also it will allow you to grow in your confidence with it while it grows. but since your current list of T are mostly on the beginner side I am not sure you should jump into a obt quit yet. while it is practically indestructible it will humble you very quickly.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 21 tarantulas and one of them is an OBT sling. I'm scared of it. I figured I'd try it and as it grows if I think I can't care for it, I plan on finding it a more suitable home. But I feel more confident about it all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added 03-22-2013 at 11:15 PM ----------

Never know unless you try. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A tiny OBT sling was my first OW and my first and only unpacking 'incident' (minor). Afford them appropriate respect and you will do fine. I love my OBTs (and all the other baboons I have collected since.) They are easy keepers as long as you don't try to overthink the husbandry.

Armpit

Arachnosquire
i have a sling, and so far it's less terrifying than my Haplopelma. really just stays in its burrow, until i drop a roach in...then it just comes out of no where. really attractive and interesting tarantula. i'll admit to probably not being ready for it, but i'm sort of the type of individual that follows the whole "go big or go home" theory. as someone else stated, get a sling because it will help you understand speed and temperament as they grow. i'm definitely more fond of "Rufus" every time i see him/her. good luck with your future obt!

Billeh

Arachnosquire
I started collecting pokies a few months into the hobby. Treat these animals with the respect they deserve, and you'll be fine.

MichaelMacd

Arachnopeon
Your at the first step, looking into it(if your like me you've already decided your buying it by this point :D) . Next step you'l reach is buying it. Then the next stage is trying your hardest yet making minor mistakes here and there and eventually be happy your doing everything right.

Good luck with the new T :D

naychur

Arachnosquire
Just keep ya booger hooks at the far end of a set of 12 inch tongs and I think you will be just fine ;)
My 8 year-old son just LOVED your post!

---------- Post added 03-24-2013 at 10:28 AM ----------

Your at the first step, looking into it(if your like me you've already decided your buying it by this point :D) . Next step you'l reach is buying it. Then the next stage is trying your hardest yet making minor mistakes here and there and eventually be happy your doing everything right.

Good luck with the new T :D
I think your description of me is more right than not! ; )

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'd rather get a ceratogyrus :D
+1. A much better choice as a first baboon. They don't run as often or as fast as OBT's. Horned baboons tend to stay in place when you open their cage; never had one run out, whereas OBT's can, and do, zip out in the blink of an eye, and they're in a foul mood when they do. Bites are very painful. I'd recommend starting with a Ceratogyrus or two, and then consider an OBT. There's a lot of C. darlingi slings hatching out now and prices are reasonable. Work your way up to an OBT, and when you have a comfort level, get an OBT sling. There's no rush.

I started off with docile new worlds 40 years ago, and fast aggressive species were culture shock at first. Whole different ball game. Anything can happen when you open the lid, and you have to be ready for it. My T collection now is almost entirely fast and aggressive, but it was a gradual transition and that made it much easier.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
As long as you keep your hands away as eviction stated you'll be just fine.

make sure you have tongs for cleaning.
Also keep a catch up very close just in case he tries to bolt.

You'll be just fine with an OBT even if it was your first tarantula as long as you did the proper research and took the right precautions....

Too many people think OW tarantulas arent good for beginners/semi beginners because they dont have the OW tarantula experience yet but they never think to ask if the person as experience with other hot spiders like widows, etc or tegus or anything else that can deliver a nasty bite.

I left this hobby for a while and when i left i had OBTs, P cambridgei, a rose hair and an avic..left for 4-5 years came back and jumped right into the OWs again the first two I got arent even old world Ts they are australian Ts (whistling spiders) whose vemon is slightly more potent than OWs and new world Ts.....I'm doing just fine with common sense, research, a catch cup, and i just have to buy some tongs...eventually some of us get bit, some of us don't but its not the end of the world unless you get stung by something like a death stalker scorpian or the the like or bit by a black mamba/brown recluse.

Heres two pictures of a recent obt purchase I made:

I recently just purchased two OBT slings

naychur

Arachnosquire
I already ordered an OBT from Jamie's, along with some others (RCF Rosie and LP). Too late to turn back now! I believe she only ships M-W, do I should get them about the middle of next week.

I don't want my collection to grow with Ts I'm not really interested in, just to stair-step my experience. They are too long-lived for that!

My boyfriend is terrified that he agreed to an OBT. ; ). I think I will be okay, I have had no escapes so far. Got tongs that I use for everybody already. I made sure to also order an enclosure as well so I don't have to worry about sauce cup escapes.

Any advise on getting the OBT from shipping container to enclosure would be helpful. When I am dealing with Ts I am not familiar with yet, I put their enclosure inside a big plastic tote so if they get out of the enclosure, they are still in a 2ndary one.

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Any advise on getting the OBT from shipping container to enclosure would be helpful. When I am dealing with Ts I am not familiar with yet, I put their enclosure inside a big plastic tote so if they get out of the enclosure, they are still in a 2ndary one.
if they are in the vials then just open up the lid and let them come out on their own.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You'll be just fine with an OBT even if it was your first tarantula as long as you did the proper research and took the right precautions....

Too many people think OW tarantulas arent good for beginners/semi beginners because they dont have the OW tarantula experience yet but they never think to ask if the person as experience with other hot spiders like widows, etc or tegus or anything else that can deliver a nasty bite.
Widows and OBT slings aren't in the same league as adult OBTs, so that's not even close. Ceratogyrus, P. chordatus, Augacehphalus, Hysterocrates, they're all fiesty but not hard hard to manage, and good as first baboons for intermediate collectors. An OBT as someone's first T is an accident wating to happen. Just a bad idea. No matter how much they study, it's a whole 'nother ball game when a foul tempered 5" OBT dashes under heavy furniture or up a pant leg. A newbie just isn't prepared for that. 9 out of 10 will panic, and the spider either gets either loose or is killed in the melay. What's the point? You can't learn to swim by reading about it, and the same goes for working with large, fast, aggresive T's. Docile new word's are a much better way for people to get their footing, and they can progress from there if they want. The 'jump in the deep end' approach isn't fair to the owner, the people they live with, or the spider. Do you want to get nailed by an adult OBT when you roll over in bed because some knuckle head in your house forgot to put the top back on the cage of his new spider?

poisoned

Arachnodemon
I left this hobby for a while and when i left i had OBTs, P cambridgei, a rose hair and an avic..left for 4-5 years came back and jumped right into the OWs again the first two I got arent even old world Ts they are australian Ts (whistling spiders) whose vemon is slightly more potent than OWs and new world Ts.....I'm doing just fine with common sense, research, a catch cup, and i just have to buy some tongs...eventually some of us get bit, some of us don't but its not the end of the world unless you get stung by something like a death stalker scorpian or the the like or bit by a black mamba/brown recluse.
Hum, Australia is OW as far as I know?

naychur

Arachnosquire
Please, don't fight. I understand and appreciate both points. If my bf didn't think I could handle it, he would never had agreed. I do have some experience and I am aware of the speed. I might have looked at the other Baboons if I had got that post in time. I am going to be overly careful. I appreciate your advise, support and concern.