OBT transfer scare

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think the OP said the substrate was wet due to soaking it to decompress it and after drying it was still wet. Just guessing but I'd say after taking it out of the oven the outside was dry while the inside still retained moisture and upon cooling the moisture spread back throughout. I may have misunderstood but that's what I thought was said. Either way, would the OP agree to trade the T for something more manageable? Maybe just outright sell or give it away and start researching a bit to find a good fit. I'm sure there is a T out there that would be perfect and I'm sure that everyone here would be more than willing to help out with any questions. Anyway, it sounded to me like a bit of a misunderstanding, that's all. I think the OP failed to adequately express the full situation and people may have taken the wrong message from it. I was just hoping that things weren't quite as bad as they sounded and I would hope the OP would step back in to clarify a bit better

cold blood

Staff member
When I got into "alternative pets" years ago, I was terrified of them. That was part of the draw for me. I've owned thousands of animals over the years and handled all of them. I've had everything from temple vipers and gaboon vipers to cobras and more and every one of them scared me. I never let that stop me. Scared is what protects you from harm. There is no shame in it. It simply indicates a healthy sense of self preservation.Just my thoughts. I could be wrong.
Hold on, you have had cobras and gaboon vipers...AND have handled them? No offense, but I think that just attempting to or wanting to handle one indicates a lack of self preservation. You really handled a Gaboon? I have a hard time even wrapping my head around that statement.

Scared doesn't protect you, staying calm and fully aware of your senses and respecting the animals capabilities do a better job...as does education on the particular animal. And like you mentioned, experience.

I worked at a major zoo for 12 years and have been around many "scary" animals, including getting my hands on a knocked out male Siberian tiger which, despite being under, still curled its lips and instinctively growled as I put my hands on its HUGE head..it was very intimidating...but nothing, and I mean nothing, put the fear in my bones like the Gaboon viper. Just the noises it made would make my skin bristle and made me want to leave the room without thinking...literally a split second where there was a moment of panic the first time I heard it upset (they are usually upset)...and it was very safely caged. Seriously dangerous viper, freakishly large fangs to boot!

I bet you got some dandy stories my friend;) Stay safe. :) You make some good points python.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Aww, see, Gaboons are the main reason I want to get my venomous license. (Well, snakewise. Main reason is a Gila or beaded.)