OBTs

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
I understood what you meant. If you claim you won't get bit, you're naive'; If you claim you might get bit, you're somehow admitting you are careless/inexperienced/ignorant/risk-taking. I hope to never ever be bitten (I still remember my widow bite from 5 years ago). But I think it is unreasonable to get an creature that could bite you, unless you acknowledge the possibility that you might, just perhaps, even when exercising all due diligence you're capable of, still, at some point, get tagged. These Ts are not domesticated, they are and always remain wild. And nobody is perfect. Nobody.
Wow, somebody who gets it, thank you.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I understood what you meant. If you claim you won't get bit, you're naive'; If you claim you might get bit, you're somehow admitting you are careless/inexperienced/ignorant/risk-taking.
A bit of an exaggeration. The goal is to be bite-free. I don't want anyone getting bit, one bite that goes viral could get spiders banned. If you start with beginner species and work your way up in stages, and don't handle, you should never get bit. It's a very worthy goal and I try to encourage everyone to shoot for that. If you jump into the deep end with species you don't have the skill or experience for, then some us get concerned, as that person could be the one that takes down the hobby with him.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
A bit of an exaggeration. The goal is to be bite-free. I don't want anyone getting bit, one bite that goes viral could get spiders banned. If you start with beginner species and work your way up in stages, and don't handle, you should never get bit. It's a very worthy goal and I try to encourage everyone to shoot for that. If you jump into the deep end with species you don't have the skill or experience for, then some us get concerned, as that person could be the one that takes down the hobby with him.
See, you're wrong and you just don't know it. It wasn't an exaggeration, she hit it right on the head. Quite honestly she described exactly what I was thinking and feeling in a more eloquent way then I had previously done, and we are not alone.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I think we all agree the goal is to be bite-free. And I don't want some idiot going to the ER trash-talking Ts because he got bit messing with one of them.
Unfortunately: there are quite a few bite-report videos on youtube -- and some are posted by some "names" that folks here should be familiar with.
And please remember, right, wrong, good, bad -- for many of us, the OBT barn door is already open. It's not a choice "Hmmm, should I get an OBT or not" it's a fact. We have them. It is what it is. Some will part with theirs; who knows, maybe I will. But at the moment, I am so attached to mine, I can't even comprehend not looking in and seeing him. I would grieve if I found him dead tomorrow.
So, I will promise you this...
I won't video tape anything or go public about it if, heaven forbid, I do get tagged. And if I get tagged, I won't write my congressman and try to convince him these creatures should be outlawed. But of course the goal is to not get bit!

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
4571308P.jpg

Talking about OBTs. This is an idiotic thing I did when I had my first OBT (albeit the T being small) when I had below a year under my belt. I hadn't held Ts for 4 years until recently when I held my B. vagans in class to show that tarantulas aren't the killing machines most people say they are. Now when I'm more mature, holding is a big no-no for me. I would definitely not advise you to get an OBT as a third T. My OBT was my forth T and it escaped. Then I got another one which escaped too. Now please, don't kill me with rocks for posting this pic.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
There are a couple OBT handling videos on youtube. I can only hope people will do their homework and realize this is an anomaly, not the norm. I won't get into the "to handle or not debate" but I think any handling is for the owner -- not the T. I don't think they bond with us or care about us. Mine will sometimes come to attention if I walk by, hoping for food -- but I think that is an association, I must make certain sounds/vibration at feeding time they picked up on. It's not because they love me and want my attention. Mine will forever remain an unrequited love (sigh)

Methal

Arachnosquire
Going to get my head bit off for this post....but whatever =)

Being less than 1 year into the T keeping hobby, (though I have had other smaller more dangerous spiders for years.)
of my first 5 Ts two of them were OBTs.

To me they are one of, if not the most beautiful of all the Ts to collect, and most fascinating because of their behavior, and activity.

I have been tagged by an OBT whos behavior was more docile than that of any of my now 12 Ts.

Getting bit by a T is not that big of a deal. As a new comer to these forums, with a fresh perspective, i would have to say that a bite here seems to be treated on the same level as drunk driving.

you got bit? big deal. Learn from your mistake, if you made one. The reason I say 'if you made one', is that reaching into a docile Ts enclosure with a pair of 9 inch tongs to refill a water dish is not a mistake. NOT doing so could very well be the mistake.

Having a venomous pet is often the mistake. Saying you are, or are not going to get bit, also says you can control the creature. You can't. (unless you squash it dead.)

But honestly. People take the "dont get bit" thing here WAY to far.

Bite is going to hurt like hell (obt) take a knee and drink water, you'll be just fine.

Some people have gone to the hospital. Judge that yourself, but keep in mind, unless you have an adverse completely rare, and abnormal reaction to it, you're just wasting money, resources, and KEEPING the hobby in a bad light.

Education is the best, and only prevention. Accidents happen, you can not control your T and you can not control other people.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Going to get my head bit off for this post....but whatever =)

Being less than 1 year into the T keeping hobby, (though I have had other smaller more dangerous spiders for years.)
of my first 5 Ts two of them were OBTs.

To me they are one of, if not the most beautiful of all the Ts to collect, and most fascinating because of their behavior, and activity.

I have been tagged by an OBT whos behavior was more docile than that of any of my now 12 Ts.

Getting bit by a T is not that big of a deal. As a new comer to these forums, with a fresh perspective, i would have to say that a bite here seems to be treated on the same level as drunk driving.

you got bit? big deal. Learn from your mistake, if you made one. The reason I say 'if you made one', is that reaching into a docile Ts enclosure with a pair of 9 inch tongs to refill a water dish is not a mistake. NOT doing so could very well be the mistake.

Having a venomous pet is often the mistake. Saying you are, or are not going to get bit, also says you can control the creature. You can't. (unless you squash it dead.)

But honestly. People take the "dont get bit" thing here WAY to far.

Bite is going to hurt like hell (obt) take a knee and drink water, you'll be just fine.

Some people have gone to the hospital. Judge that yourself, but keep in mind, unless you have an adverse completely rare, and abnormal reaction to it, you're just wasting money, resources, and KEEPING the hobby in a bad light.

Education is the best, and only prevention. Accidents happen, you can not control your T and you can not control other people.
My opinion on this exactly matches yours. Thanks for chiming in about that.

OBTs are fascinating creatures, but should deserve all your respect.

It should also be noted that a lot of different factors can determine how you will feel after a bite including your age, weight, current level of health, how much venom is injected, and possibly many other factors that remain a mystery.

I'd much rather get bit by an OBT than suffer many other possible ailments like compound fractures and concussions which happen to people daily.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
II won't video tape anything or go public about it if, heaven forbid, I do get tagged. And if I get tagged, I won't write my congressman and try to convince him these creatures should be outlawed. But of course the goal is to not get bit!
That went right by you. It's not you, it's your friends & family, and if you go there, people in the hospital. Once you're bitten, it can quickly spiral out of your control. Camera phones are everywhere. Nor do I think you would contact a politician, but if pics and video get out, some people will. That's the point. A serious bite doesn't happen in a vacuum.

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 08:27 PM ----------

See, you're wrong and you just don't know it. It wasn't an exaggeration, she hit it right on the head. Quite honestly she described exactly what I was thinking and feeling in a more eloquent way then I had previously done, and we are not alone.
For someone who's so wrong, I don't know how I managed to get over 50 friends and close to 400 pages of 'thanks/likes'. I'm doing something people agree with.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
That went right by you. It's not you, it's your friends & family, and if you go there, people in the hospital. Once you're bitten, it can quickly spiral out of your control. .
Actually, I live alone, don't see a lot of family, and my friends and coworkers are terrified of Ts, and disapprove of anyone keeping these deadly creatures. If I mention a T to anyone, I hear jokes about Raid sprays and stomping them. So, I'm not really able to share even a positive T experience with anyone, and I certainly wouldn't share a negative experience because of the "I told you so's." I was hoping to find a supportive group online, but apparently even a site dedicated to tarantulas has members who aren't very supportive.
I imagine that in your mind, yours is a noble mission dedicated to keeping rights for T hobbyists. But this T hobbyist group you apparently represent appears quite exclusive and restricted. It is clear you don't support MY right to keep a tarantula of my choosing.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I imagine that in your mind, yours is a noble mission dedicated to keeping rights for T hobbyists. But this T hobbyist group you apparently represent appears quite exclusive and restricted. It is clear you don't support MY right to keep a tarantula of my choosing.
How about a little less drama. You have the 'right' to own any tarantula you want, whether or not that's a good decision is another matter. If you get nailed by your OBT and decide to go to a hospital (per some bite reports), that's when it becomes a public experience, and you're no longer able to control what happens after that point. You're in pain, cramping and throwing up. Not like you can control what people around you are doing. It would be nice to keep that out of the public forum. If it was only you at home, I wouldn't care. But that can't be guaranteed, as big strong men have gone to emergency rooms for T bites. What I do care about the 'right' of the rest of us to continue owning these animals. All I'm saying is what you do doesn't happen in a vacuum. There's a number of groups that want to ban exotic animals; we just need to be careful not to give them any more ammunition.

Last edited:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Actually, I live alone, don't see a lot of family, and my friends and coworkers are terrified of Ts, and disapprove of anyone keeping these deadly creatures. If I mention a T to anyone, I hear jokes about Raid sprays and stomping them. So, I'm not really able to share even a positive T experience with anyone, and I certainly wouldn't share a negative experience because of the "I told you so's." I was hoping to find a supportive group online, but apparently even a site dedicated to tarantulas has members who aren't very supportive.
I don't think he wasn't being supportive, I think he was just warning of the problems of going to the hospital. It's kind of like the pit bull thing everyone loves to make a big deal of. All it takes is one idiot with nothing better to do who doesn't keep or understand anything about tarantulas to take it to the next level. Personally, I think that if you're too sick to function and at home symptom relief isn't working, then it's your right to go to the hospital or doctor just be wary of people who don't understand this hobby. If not for all hobbyists, do it for yourself. You seem willing to learn and its your right to own Ts too. That's why people encourage certain ways of buying, rehousing, etc. But you are right, some people aren't supportive here and a lot are. Just gotta take the good with the bad :)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I think that if you're too sick to function and at home symptom relief isn't working, then it's your right to go to the hospital or doctor just be wary of people who don't understand this hobby.
I work in home health, so I would treat it at home, just as I did my black widow bite. If I am ever forced kicking and screaming to go to the ER for a bite, I will simply tell them Poec54 bit me.:angelic:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't think he wasn't being supportive, I think he was just warning of the problems of going to the hospital. It's kind of like the pit bull thing everyone loves to make a big deal of. All it takes is one idiot with nothing better to do who doesn't keep or understand anything about tarantulas to take it to the next level. Personally, I think that if you're too sick to function and at home symptom relief isn't working, then it's your right to go to the hospital or doctor just be wary of people who don't understand this hobby.
Wow, someone who 'gets it'! Thank you.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I work in home health, so I would treat it at home, just as I did my black widow bite. If I am ever forced kicking and screaming to go to the ER for a bite, I will simply tell them Poec54 bit me.:angelic:
Well then there's nothing to worry about! There's not much you can do for it anyway. I have a theory that it's very similar to rhabdomyolysis. Hahaha do that. Then they'll have to ban having poec54 as a pet.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I work in home health, so I would treat it at home...If I am ever forced kicking and screaming to go to the ER for a bite, I will simply tell them Poec54 bit me.
But I haven't had my shots.

Well, there is a sense of humor in there. You can enjoy being here, or you can be one of the sensitive ones.

cold blood

Staff member
But I haven't had my shots.

You can enjoy being here, or you can be one of the sensitive ones.
Please don't be overly sensitive, that will only lead to difficulties or frustrations where there should be none. It's ok if someone's opinion differs or if someone is more blunt than you may like, we're all very different people enjoying the same or similar things.:)

Poec, get those shots :biggrin:

Stay positive and you'll have a full on support group to share your excitement right here...there's a ton of really great people here, and even some that may really surprise you. I was once like you and had zero people to talk to about the hobby, AB has a very positive influence in my number of spidey friends.

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When I started in this hobby OBT slings cost less than 5 bucks and adults were pretty much free to good home. Poecs were considered to be the next big headline as far as a hobbyist getting bitten. Makes sense that poec lovers are the big fear mongers because Poecs are some of the most dangerous spiders in the hobby and the most likely species to end up on a potential banned list

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Please don't be overly sensitive, that will only lead to difficulties or frustrations where there should be none. It's ok if someone's opinion differs or if someone is more blunt than you may like, we're all very different people enjoying the same or similar things.:)

Poec, get those shots :biggrin:

Stay positive and you'll have a full on support group to share your excitement right here...there's a ton of really great people here, and even some that may really surprise you. I was once like you and had zero people to talk to about the hobby, AB has a very positive influence in my number of spidey friends.
I second all of that.