Odd Cobalts

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Fresh Molt!!

Well, I at last have a molt from one of these girls' all the legs and chilacerae are intact but the opisthothelma was destroyed, anyone know who would be qualified to ID this species here in the US or Europe, I'll msge Ray G. and see if he may be up to it, anyone else that I should consider? here are some pix of a fresh molted female and a couple of another female aproaching a molt, I'll work on the I.D. the babies are growing like weeds, Enjoy and PEACE, B.

Fresh molt

coming up on a molt

DSC03440.JPG

Last edited:

Sylvi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They've gone much paler now. Here is my longipes again after her molt

I haven't seen her much over the winter, but now its getting warmer she's about more. She is quite brown at the moment.

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea they are much paler after a shed it seems, and that makes them resemble H lividum even less, these spiders are borderline 6" now and leggy w/ puffy hind legs, unfortunately now that I started studieng the keys I have, it seems they are all keyed for males, And both of the adult specimen I have are females, :wall: I'll be shipping the exuvium off as soon as I can find someone who is willing/able to try ID'ing her, I am convinced they are not H. lividum though, more will be revealed...... PEACE, B.

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another molt

I just had my last female molt out and she is sweet (see pix) still have not found an I.D on them but now I have 2 molts that are in pretty good shape if anyone would like to give it a try, here are some pix of the exuvium, the epigastric area and also of the spider, deffinately a keeper, WOW!!

DSC05931.JPG

PEACE, B.

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Whatever they are they are very pretty!!! You may just have to go with Haplopelma sp. for the time being.
They are really nice though.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She is really stunning, Brandon. Can't wait for my little one to grow up. I hope you eventually get an I.D. on them. There's just something about blue spiders....:} Di

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nailed it!!

Of course stalker hit it on the 1st page (not bad for an Idahoan, LOL, I'm originaly from extreme northern Utah so dont take the Idahoan jokes to seriously) but this last link seems to put it all in the pipe and spark it up, although I believe it was called longipedum and has now been changed to longipes, unless it has been changed back, reguardless, Thanks alot for the help, much appreciated, PEACE, B.

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my lady moled lastnight too B! they must be on the same wave lenghts.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Stumbled on this thread, and whilst I don't like doing taxonomy from pictures, you do indeed appear to have some lovely H.longipes.

IMO one of the nicest Haplopelma species, I love the pale tan front end that they seem to have when freshly moulted.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Isn't longipes usually imported as the "Thai Tiger"? I've seen very similar T's at my LPS under that name...also at a good price much cheaper than cobalts oddly enough.

Topcat1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Us Idaho people rock! :D Glad to hear that we were neighbors once!
On that note, I can't wait until my sling gets to looking like that!

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are those 2 different spiders? I'd guess 1st pic was longipes and 2nd was lividum.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Same spider

The pix are all of the same spider, just differant angles, here is a H lividum for comparison, actualy verry differant looking T's, both are awsome though, the H sp. longipes seem a bit mellower than lividum but just as quick when they want to move!! PEACE, B.

View attachment 76500
View attachment 76501

Last edited:

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gosh, Brandon, your Arizona heat must be helping your guys grow super fast. My little guy is still tiny. Di
Yea Diane, they are growing like weeds, I do feed alot as well so that may be part of it, how big is yours now? oddly both of my largest are females, I could realy use a male, hopefully they catch up pretty quick as I'd like to breed the adult female I have and get another sac of these guys this year. B.

DSC01489.JPG
View attachment 76503

Last edited:

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, the coloration after a molt in this species is quite stunning. Comparable to that of M. balfouri in intensity to some extent, IMO.