P. Irminia vs H. Maculata

Medusa

Arachnoknight
My H mac female is only partially visible at night with me shining a flashlight into her hide; P irminia is out more but not much. T gigas used to be out but has been hidden since the last couple of molts. I guess I give them too many places to hide. Even with a cork angled hide, they web up next to the glass and it reflects the flashlight.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
If Poec54 is nervous about T. Gigas even with his background of keeping some hot snakes, I smell something fishy here...Poec, you trying to keep the Tapinauchenius genus to yourself bro? Just kidding, but how would you guys rate Poecilotheria in comparison to the previously mentioned species, as far as visibility and defensiveness and what not? I am mostly referring to P. Regalis and Vittata. T. Gigas has been borderline on my wishlist for awhile but this experience with Hmac and P. Irminia has me really appreciating my spiders that I see every morning while I get ready for work....love you Geniculata
I'd go with geniculata if I were you. Slings are cheap and they grow at a decent pace. Colors and markings are spectacular and they're out in the open all the time. Why get a smaller, secretive arboreal?

Not nervous about Taps, just don't like chasing little brown spiders around the room.

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
I don't know if anyone has recommended this yet but I have a P. Pulcher that comes out every time the light dims. It's an immature male and I get to see him every night and I think they are pretty awesome looking. I had a P. Irminia but never saw it out and I have an H. Mac and she rarely comes out of her hide but it's up against the glass so I can see here anytime. I haven't personally had my H. Mac bolt on me, she usually just stays nice and cozy in her hide when there's any disturbances. The Irminia was pretty defensive when it did come out but most of the time it hid in the farthest possible corner of it's hide. My next goal is to get a P. Cambridgei as I've always liked their color and patterns. I have no experience with Tapi's so can't really say anything there.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Gizmo, you just reminded me I was thinking about asking everyone what experiences they have with the other Psalmos, particularly Cambridgei and Pulcher. Are they out more, less defensive, etc.? I have a small Cambridgei sling that I am dreading the day when it decides to hide away forever. I do love the looks of P. Pulcher as well and would be open to any arboreals that might be out more, including Poecilotheria or Cyriopagopus. I am becoming more of a terrestrial guy but love the hunting that Psalmos do. I would like to keep a select arboreal species in my collection and would be psyched if it had a great appetite, great hunting, and also was out on a semi-regular basis.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My cambridgei juveniles/adults are always out, and calm. Youngsters are a bit zippy, but they outgrow that, and only run when you have your hands where they don't belong. Irminia and pulcher are much shier. Cyriopagopus & Lampropelma stay in their retreats most of the time; forget them as display spiders.

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
My cambridgei juveniles/adults are always out, and calm. Youngsters are a bit zippy, but they outgrow that, and only run when you have your hands where they don't belong. Irminia and pulcher are much shier. Cyriopagopus & Lampropelma stay in their retreats most of the time; forget them as display spiders.
I also have a C. Schioedtei and an L. Violaceopes and both seem to have their own weird schedule. One week I'll see them out and about real active and the next they're hiding all the time. I sometimes see my Schioedtei early in the morning for a while and other times I don't. The other day I was watching my Violaceopes hanging outside her burrow and she stayed out the whole day and as soon as night fell she was gone again. With those two you never can tell but it's a real pleasure when I do see them. Honestly, because of their colors and pattern, I'm happy if see them a couple times a week. My Schioedtei is a fantastic hunter though so feeding time is always fun and interesting.

Like I said earlier though, my Pulcher is out every night unless a molt is incoming. He usually just hangs out on the side of the tank in full view. I received my Pulcher as a 1/4" sling in July of last year and he just hit 4" this last month so he grew pretty quick.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
+1 Prior to 3, 3.5" they do like to hide a lot. But after that, mine are all out most of the time. I love their look.:smile:
My AF is not very skittish either, she stands her ground. An easy arboreal species to show off. ;)

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
I have both the H. Mac and the P. Irminia. My Irminia is a lot more "visible" than my H. Mac but on the other hand, my Irminia is a lot bigger then my H. Mac., but if i had to choose between the two... id go for the Irminia as its got such a awesome look to it and the venom is not as potent.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I have 35 species of arboreals, and I'm in no hurry to get a Tap.
Really? They are nothing you can't handle, don't underestimate yourself. ;)
There are some great species like my favorites subcaeruleus and sp. Colombia. I find most of the Taps attractive. I'm surprised you don't have any.

Last edited:

gobey

Arachnoknight
I see my H. mac slings quite often really. They poke out and go for walks. And I've provided them with large hides that they webbed up good. Now granted I don't see them everyday. And boy do they hate seeing me. But they're not invisible. My larger one is out more often.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Yep, I saw my Hmac often when it was in a tall deli cup but since moving into its adult enclosure, it hides all the time. Same deal with the Irminia....

awiec

Arachnoprince
There are some great species like my favorites subcaeruleus and sp. Colombia. I find most of the Taps attractive. I'm surprised you don't have any.
I believe some time ago he said he might consider gigas but I generally know that poec isn't a fan of them :p which they aren't for everyone, as he said they are generally small zippy spiders. But my experience with my female has been positive so I try to recommend them but always offer the warning that they can be a little crazy.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's not that I don't think I can deal with them (I have Stromatopelma), I'm just not convinced it's worth it. The only one that temps me at this point is gigas.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
It's not that I don't think I can deal with them (I have Stromatopelma), I'm just not convinced it's worth it. The only one that temps me at this point is gigas.
Ok, that's not the way I read it. I didn't know you weren't a fan.
Yes, gigas is a good one to start with, maybe then Taps will grow on you.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've yet to keep an H.mac but my P.irminia ladies are a joy to keep! Beautiful, yet require quite some respect with their usually defensive behavior. My couple are very different, one is pretty calm, the other straight from hell. I like both and would always suggest them as their contrast is hard to beat.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Ok, that's not the way I read it. I didn't know you weren't a fan.
Yes, gigas is a good one to start with, maybe then Taps will grow on you.
I like the colors on gigas. Rather than get other Tap species though (besides gigas), I'd rather have more Avics, and some Iridopelmas, Pachistopelmas, etc.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I like the colors on gigas. Rather than get other Tap species though (besides gigas), I'd rather have more Avics, and some Iridopelmas, Pachistopelmas, etc.
Makes sense, gigas looks resemble Avics the most. I like those three genera more also, but I left a little room in my collection for Taps. I have most of the Avics I want that are in the hobby besides some new rare & expensive ones such as hirschii and sooretama. Iridopelma and Pachistopelma are my next two genera I want to dive into.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
- Makes sense, gigas looks resemble Avics the most
- I want that are in the hobby besides some new rare & expensive ones such as hirschii and sooretama. Iridopelma and Pachistopelma are my next two genera I want to dive into.
- I knew you could relate to that.
- You and me both. Add Typhoclaena to that list too.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I've yet to keep an H.mac but my P.irminia ladies are a joy to keep! Beautiful, yet require quite some respect with their usually defensive behavior. My couple are very different, one is pretty calm, the other straight from hell. I like both and would always suggest them as their contrast is hard to beat.
Storm, you have some of the nicest looking P. Irminia I have seen!!! How do you find them as far as visibility goes? I see my dang Haplopelma Hainanum more than my Hmac or Irminia and I can't say that makes me very happy...or enthusiastic about getting more of those species. I do not need to see a spider everyday, but it is nice to know you will see em fairly regularly, even if it is an absurd hour of the night. Thanks to my OBTs for being antisocial but also visible on a regular basis. Some nights I walk in and my orange demon is hanging on the wall of her enclosure showing off......I would like a spider with striking markings that is a great hunter and is visible semi-consistently....not necessarily often, just reliably.