P. Murinus (OBT) Ownership

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Whether they breed them or not doesn't really matter here, they're still losing valuable space/time housing/caring for hundreds of obt slings so why do almost every dealers even bother having them if you can't make a profit off them if what you're saying is true.

Beginners won't pay for more expensive ones and experience keepers won't bother with them from what you're saying so there's really no reason to even have them according to you and yet, almost everybody is selling them.

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Whether they breed them or not doesn't really matter here, they're still losing valuable space/time housing/caring for hundreds of obt slings so why do almost every dealers even bother having them if you can't make a profit off them if what you're saying is true.

Beginners won't pay for more expensive ones and experience keepers won't bother with them from what you're saying so there's really no reason to even have them according to you and yet, almost everybody is selling them.
OBT = loss leader.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince

OBT = loss leader.
plus they are bread and butter, sure they may cost nothing, but many use them as their freebie, and newbies are always lookin for a obt. its like a rosea or common aphonopelma. why do they cary them? because someone will take them off their hands if not they can be used as a freebie to take less of a hit ;) because what newbie can pass up a free T thats so common, its almost nolonger sold? :p

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
OBT = loss leader.
Thank you. Dealers don't really want to carry them, but people (mostly beginners) ask for them. Dealers pay next to nothing for them, and then sell them cheap. Shipping out $10 orders is a lot of wasted effort that doesn't pay the bills. You need to talk to some dealers, they'll tell you.

Also keep in mind that Canada is usually years behind the US in new species introductions, and only has a few big dealers. Whatever we experience in the US, Canada will eventually too. So if the Canadian market isn't flooded with OBT slings yet, it will be.

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 05:31 AM ----------

You're not getting this. Dealers aren't taking up much space with OBT's: they blow them out cheap and give them away as freebies. In and out. There's always more people trying to unload sacs of OBT slings, so dealers don't take in a lot at a time that they'll have to maintain. There's no reason for them to maintain hundreds of OBT slings. The basic 'in and out' OBT transaction is break even at best; they're guaranteed to lose money if they invest in maintaining them for months.

Some beginners will pay for moderately-priced and expensive species, which is what dealers are hoping for, with cheap OBT's as the icebreaker. The majority of people buying OBT slings would be better off with a different species, more suited to their skill level. Dealers carry OBT's because people (mostly beginners) ask for them, not because they make money on them. Once contact is made, they have a chance to up-sell the buyer.

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Also keep in mind that Canada is usually years behind the US in new species introductions,
What makes you say that? Canada has a few species we don't have(and others they had way before the US), do to one dealer. He actually goes to the big shows in Germany and imports stuff back. IIRC, he has also brought a few new species to the (entire)hobby, not just Canada.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What makes you say that? Canada has a few species we don't have(and others they had way before the US), do to one dealer. He actually goes to the big shows in Germany and imports stuff back. IIRC, he has also brought a few new species to the (entire)hobby, not just Canada.

That's probably not the norm, and may be a relatively recent development. Things have likely changed in the last few years as the hobby's kicked into high gear. Traditionally Canada was behind, especially in the 1990's, when OBT's were introduced to the US. We've had a head start in getting them as prolific as they are now. I did qualify it by saying 'usually', not always!

gobey

Arachnoknight
One of the best spiders I bought was an AF OBT.
She's gorgeous. I like her because she's gorgeous.

Now she lives in a cave and she buried herself inside it. I have a $60 pet hole. But whatever I have my pet hole I guess. She's cool but not very interesting anymore now that she's not on display,

The dumbest thing I've done as a keeper so far is accept 2 OBT slings.

Why?

Why do I need 3?

I don't.

And these slings are the worst behaved tarantulas I have. Escape is always on the mind. They're incredibly frustrating to feed and do maintenance on. I can only imagine rehousing and care to adulthood,

The adult is at least in her permanent home. And is calm (so far... For now... For an OBT)

I wish I'd just said no...

To drugs...

And OBT babies

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Seem the older a MF obt gets calmer they get my adult used to slap the sided of her container when I was close now she just sets and wait for a roach :)

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 02:55 PM ----------

Actually I think most kinda mello a little with age kinda like homo erectus

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sure about that lol

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 03:19 PM ----------

I could have swore I seen one other day maybe it was just normal homo sapien