P. regalis question

awiec

Arachnoprince
It's very simple, you don't keep all of them. You raise them until you can sex them, which is often at 2". You keep a female and sell/trade the others (everyone wants females, breeders want males). Since they're bigger than when you got them as slings, the difference in value usually means you end up getting the one you kept for free. Not a bad deal. Everyone's got room for a few deli cups. You can build a collection at no net cost by doing this. If you breed, you can build a large collection at no cost, cover the expense of cages and feeders, and additionally feeders become infinitely cheaper (buying crickets by the 1,000, instead of from local pet stores). You can make this hobby pay for itself and get new species for free, or you can do what most people do, and just sink money into it.
I would still have 80-100 spiders at one time and I haven't spent money on anything recently as I said, I've gained 20 new animals and have only had to buy boxes to ship the males.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I would still have 80-100 spiders at one time.

We're talking deli cups, and the proceeds of the surplus (once they're sexed) pay for what you keep. It's not like you'd go out and get multiples of everything in one day, so no, it wouldn't be 100 spiders all at once. A lot of tropicals are up to 2" in a matter of a few months, not like you're maintaining the spiderlings for any length of time. You can come up with reasons not to do it, but I've seen many people wind up with entirely free collections because of the approach I shared with you. Your collection can be as small or as big as you want. The hobby can be a net drain, a break even, or a net profit, and it doesn't take a lot of work or a lot of spiders to do it. I hate to see people buy one at a time, and pay shipping.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Poec54 thinks everyone should keep tarantulas exactly how he does and should go about doing it exactly how he does. Share advice, but don't try to force people to do things exactly your way. Unless she's doing something to jeopardize the health of her animals or the hobby itself there's no point going around and around over different approaches.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Which is why it's not a good idea to get one sling of a species. If you want a female, you should get a minimum of 3 at a time.
Eh, I am not into breeding or anything so I didn't care too much what it turned out to be. I just generally like females bc they tend to be prettier, bigger and they don't freak out when they mature lol.

--J.Haas

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 03:05 PM ----------

Poec54 thinks everyone should keep tarantulas exactly how he does and should go about doing it exactly how he does. Share advice, but don't try to force people to do things exactly your way. Unless she's doing something to jeopardize the health of her animals or the hobby itself there's no point going around and around over different approaches.
Very true... We all have our own style, as long as the spider is happy and taken care of properly, there is no "right" way. Just do what feels good for you. Personally, it's not worth it for me to buy or have to keep way more Ts that I need just to get a female out of it. I'm in this for the love of Ts, not to make a profit.

--J.Haas

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

Oh, I think you're overreacting. Not like I'm coming to anyone's house and making them do anything. It's very easy to do this hobby for free, without breeding. I've seen so many people here agonize over what to get, what they can afford, their wish lists, etc. All I want to do is get them to think outside the box for a few minutes, and realize there's simple ways to get what they want for free.

awiec

Arachnoprince
He's not forcing anyone to do anything. I was just saying I have a similar approach he does but on a smaller scale, and I don't have the patience to raise slings until they are 2 inches and then find find buyers. Plus I buy and trade local so how I run things is much more low cost than compared to someone who buys one of each of everything and gets bummed that they have a male. I keep a sheet that shows what I've put into the spiders and what I get out of them (via trades).

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wasn't only talking about this particular instance.
Yeah we know - poec has very strong and sometimes borderline absolutist views about tarantulas and husbandry and has a very specific and particular way of doing things, and sometimes he comes across as being bossy's, but we love him anyway lol A B would not be the same without him

--J.Haas

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I wasn't only talking about this particular instance.

I know, I'm the scourge of the forum. Almost all of the experienced guys that were on this forum 3 years haven't been seen here in a year or more. You want to drive off the remaining ones with complaints?

We have a steady stream of beginners come here, there's no shortage of them. Unfortunately there's been an appreciable attrition of experienced collectors and breeders.

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know, I'm the scourge of the forum. Almost all of the experienced guys that were on this forum 3 years haven't been seen here in a year or more. You want to drive off the remaining ones with complaints?

We have a steady stream of beginners come here, there's no shortage of them. Unfortunately there's been an appreciable attrition of experienced collectors and breeders.
Don't let one persons snark or disagreement drive you away... It's the internet, we all disagree sometimes!

Last edited:

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I know they're from a cooler region, Awiec. Hence why I monitor the temps more closely because of it. When it was kept cooler, I didnt get any growth either. I keep my rufi like I keep all of my Pokies and even 4-5" spiders molt every 3-4 months.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer

Now who's overreacting? I doubt you'll leave because someone suggests you tone it down. You offered your advice, which was good advice and a nice thing for you to do, she explained why she didn't do things that way, and then you spent like 4 more posts trying to talk her into it. Just say your piece and let it go. With that, I'm going to follow my own advice.

A B would not be the same without him
I was here (and on another forum) before he was, and that is absolutely a true statement.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To be fair, he's on about 3 other Tarantula related forums as far as I've seen, so it's rather difficult to avoid the guy even if you wanted to [emoji14]

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
A B would not be the same without him

Thank you. One of the reasons I joined this forum was to learn from big collectors and breeders. Unfortunately they rarely show up anymore. When I look at threads from the mid and late 2000's, there's a lot of really sharp people, even international experts dropped by. It's a shame so many have moved on. Instead of being a student, I've become a teacher, which isn't quite as exciting. But there's a void that I'm trying to fill. I don't know as much as the guys who left, but I want to share what I've learned and expose people to new ideas. Most people like my style and get what I'm doing, some don't, but I can't lose sleep over that. I'm not getting the expert advice here I hoped I would, but I'm able to help people keep their spiders better, so it's a trade off. I've spent hundreds of hours helping people here, and given away a lot of spiders. So, if you feel I've stepped on your toes, look at the big picture.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I've spent hundreds of hours helping people here, and given away a lot of spiders. So, if you feel I've stepped on your toes, look at the big picture.
You haven't "stepped on my toes." I just cringe sometimes when I see how you interact with some people, particularly the newbies you want to teach. If your aim is to help, try to be more constructive and less combative. I suggest you pick your battles and demonstrate your knowledge rather than shouting about it. That's my advice, take it or leave it.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I know they're from a cooler region, Awiec. Hence why I monitor the temps more closely because of it. When it was kept cooler, I didnt get any growth either. I keep my rufi like I keep all of my Pokies and even 4-5" spiders molt every 3-4 months.
Have you tried mimicking the regional seasons? I had a P.regalis who acted like your rufilata, so I followed the dry and monsoon season for about 6 weeks and she now molts very regularly now; perhaps your spider just needs some cues to help it grow more?