Palm like Plant id

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Dracaena marginata
I'm pretty sure that's what a friend's partner calls the 'freeze frame' plant. The weapon of choice for interior decorators. The 'goes nowhere, does nothing' plant. Minimal maintenance plant used to fill in empty corners in homes and offices.
However, given the right circumstances, it can grow 10 to 15 feet high and when the stem can't support it it lies down and secondary stems sprout from it. Those circumstances are rainforest environment, continuous humidity and moisture and very low light.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I'm pretty sure that's what a friend's partner calls the 'freeze frame' plant. The weapon of choice for interior decorators. The 'goes nowhere, does nothing' plant. Minimal maintenance plant used to fill in empty corners in homes and offices.
However, given the right circumstances, it can grow 10 to 15 feet high and when the stem can't support it it lies down and secondary stems sprout from it. Those circumstances are rainforest environment, continuous humidity and moisture and very low light.
Stem just grew all crooked but it’s still standing up straight. Yours saying new stems can sprout 🌱???
100% correct.

This plant is severely neglected, and probably will never recover unless you restart the whole stem.

Time to chop and pot
How do you do this any guides or anything I’m afraid I’ll just kill the plant trying that.

The Snark

Old Timer
Stem just grew all crooked but it’s still standing up straight. Yours saying new stems can sprout
Apparently, yes. I think Alex has several dozen scattered around. His business is decorative plant service in offices in San Francisco, installing and maintaining them. Natch he prefers very low maintenance and environment tolerant.

How do you do this any guides or anything I’m afraid I’ll just kill the plant trying that.
I've seen one in the garden of a restaurant near here. Lying on the ground with maybe 20 sub stems up to 3 or four feet long. Complete canopy shade zero sunlight, entire garden mist watered every day. Soil heavily clay bearing loam. I suspect if I tried that it would be dead in months.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
You'd have to be truly skilled to kill off one of these plants.

Once they collapse, the entire stem transitions into a root system and new plants sprout along the length to take over.

Propagate them exactly like you would any other house plant. Cut along the nodes and root them in soil, sphagnum, or using a water/aerating system.

The Snark

Old Timer
You'd have to be truly skilled to kill off one of these plants.
Our roses wither and wilt when I get near them and the orchids quit flowering. When the boss leaves me to tend to her plants it's a death sentence. Not hyperbole. I'm the botanical angel of death. Figures I'm the son of a professional gardener.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Our roses wither and wilt when I get near them and the orchids quit flowering. When the boss leaves me to tend to her plants it's a death sentence. Not hyperbole. I'm the botanical angel of death. Figures I'm the son of a professional gardener.
The ole' black thumb curse. Possibly over-loving your plants? Most plants seem to thrive on neglect, water, and sunlight for me. (Barring those finicky orchids!) But I'm the son of carpenters and farmers.

I've learned over time that you cannot rush or force nature. You can bend and guide it, but for the most part it does what it wants and you work around that. If you won't, you're fighting an unwinnable battle.

Plants have tempered my patience more than society has tried it. Gardening can be stressful if you're struggling with your relationship with mother nature but it's also a great activity to go full zen with when you need to get your mind off the mundane bustling of daily life for a couple hours.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It’s still alive!😂 IMG_7277.jpeg IMG_7275.jpeg IMG_7276.jpeg

The Snark

Old Timer
It’s still alive!
................... too soon to tell. Give it another decade or two to fall over and wither.
How much has it grown?
I've always suspected asparagus originated from an alien life form. Just ask the average kid forced to eat those things.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
................... too soon to tell. Give it another decade or two to fall over and wither.
How much has it grown?
I've always suspected asparagus originated from an alien life form. Just ask the average kid forced to eat those things.
If it’s grown, I can’t tell so. Maybe an inch. Or nothing. It looks like it might need new soil at some point.
Asparagus and brussels sprouts are both very strange. But I hated uncooked. veggies, the most, especially cauliflower.