papilio's mantids

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Honestly, as I look over these shots ... the only reason to think of mantids as charming is because we're so much bigger than they are.

Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii, L4

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mostly pale yellow now, the green appears with maturity ... more vivid when raised in high humidity.

Phyllocrania paradoxa, Ghost Mantis, green color form L5

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With apologies, more gruesome action ...

Creobroter pictipennis mantis, L4 ~0.6-inch relaxed BL
[video=youtube;EC2nbz1zDMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC2nbz1zDMQ[/video]
Recommended for full-screen viewing at 1080p HD quality setting.

She(?) just molted to L4 and is getting quite attractive ... I'll have some photos posted later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for looking! :)

Last edited:

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Molted again ... quick little growers, L5 is the same instar as my big Idolos.

Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii, L5

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Two Flower Mantids, slideshow

Playing around with my new video software, this is just a slideshow from the last two photo shoots I posted.

Intended to be viewed full screen if possible, at 1080p quality setting.

Creobroter pictipennis, L4
Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii, L5

[video=youtube;x3XyfDhInsU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3XyfDhInsU[/video]
Soundtrack is "Balada (for Heideh)" by Strunz & Farah

Akai

Arachnobaron
wow those are the prettiest little killers i have ever seen. :photogenic:

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All of them were taken with MP-E 65? This lens and TS-E 17 are the stuff I envy Canon users :p

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow those are the prettiest little killers i have ever seen. :photogenic:
Thanks a lot Akai! :)

All of them were taken with MP-E 65? This lens and TS-E 17 are the stuff I envy Canon users :p
No, actually for these shots and my vids I use a Sigma Apo OS 150mm macro and a Raynox DCR-250 ... on a Nikon. I had a Canon before my current D800E, bought it primarily so that I could use the MP-E, and when I gave in to the temptation of the current camera body I kept the MP-E, just making a simple adapter for the Nikon since they evidently don't exist. Of course I have no aperture control, other than setting it on a Canon body and then making the aperture "stick" by removing the lens while the DOF preview button is held in, and because of this it's really useful only for studio work. But it is a fine lens and I love the ability to zoom the magnification when composing the shot.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, actually for these shots and my vids I use a Sigma Apo OS 150mm macro and a Raynox DCR-250 ... on a Nikon. (...)
Ok, I remembered, that you were using this lens and thought that it was attached to Canon body :D :D

I'm thinking about replacement for my D700... but D800/E still costs too much. For me, the difference between D700 and D800 isn't worth so much money. D600/610 has nice sensor, but nothing more. D750... I can't call it "new and better" D700. Maybe next year. I only need better low and hi ISO, better DR and I need to record movies from time to time (D300s isn't solution for me) :)

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, I remembered, that you were using this lens and thought that it was attached to Canon body :D :D

I'm thinking about replacement for my D700... but D800/E still costs too much. For me, the difference between D700 and D800 isn't worth so much money. D600/610 has nice sensor, but nothing more. D750... I can't call it "new and better" D700. Maybe next year. I only need better low and hi ISO, better DR and I need to record movies from time to time (D300s isn't solution for me) :)
With the D810 out now, I'd guess that you might find the price of the D800/E coming down. ;)

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With the D810 out now, I'd guess that you might find the price of the D800/E coming down. ;)
It is coming down, but too slow. 10-15% in the last two years. I'll buy new lenses instead. I'm thinking about new Tamron 150-600 and Trioplan 100/2.8 :p

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is coming down, but too slow. 10-15% in the last two years. I'll buy new lenses instead. I'm thinking about new Tamron 150-600 and Trioplan 100/2.8 :p
Good idea ... generally money is better spent on glass than bodies. :)

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
ooh that yellow one looks great.

There are a few native southwest species I'd love to see shot with this quality. Man, y'all make me feel like my shots are crap :D

(though impressive IMO, considering I use phones to take pics)

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ooh that yellow one looks great.

There are a few native southwest species I'd love to see shot with this quality. Man, y'all make me feel like my shots are crap :D

(though impressive IMO, considering I use phones to take pics)
Thanks a lot Smokehound! :)

Acromantis japonica, Japanese boxer

Notice anything wrong? :(

Creobroter pictipennis L5, just molted

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Going in a direction the opposite of focus stacking ...

Creobroter pictipennis L4

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bad mite infestation in this last delivery, not so nice to look at but can't help myself taking photos anyway.
The DOF of this higher-powered Canon MP-E is pretty minimal, so I ended up stacking as many monopod-held images as I could.
These are at about 4X

Parasphendale affinis

Acromantis japonica

Thanks for looking! :)