Pelinobius muticus - King Baboons Have a New Name

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Everyone will get used to it. They got over G. aureostriata to G. pulchripes. Cyriopagopus sp. "Singapore blue" to L. violaceopes. Sounds like A. diversipes may get moved to Iridopelma. T's getting renamed is just part of the hobby :D
Yeah, but all those that got changed still sounded good. P. muticus is definitely the worst name I have seen so far.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, but all those that got changed still sounded good. P. muticus is definitely the worst name I have seen so far.
I agree that I don't like that way it looks. Actually, i'll probably be doing a lot of double takes between P. muticus & P. murinus :D

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
FYI: King Baboons Have a New Name

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted here yet. I guess everyone is too busy arguing over what a Theraphosa blondi is and missed it. {D Citharischius crawshayi is now going to be called Pelinobius muticus.

Gallon, R. C. 2010. On some Southern African Harpactirinae, with notes on the eumenophorines Pelinobius muticus Karsch, 1885 and Monocentropella Strand, 1907 (Araneae, Theraphosidae). Bull. Br. arachnol. Soc., 15 (2): 29-48.

Summary
The taxonomy of five species of Southern African Harpactirinae and two species of Eumenophorinae from East and West Africa is addressed. Two new species of Harpactirinae are proposed: Harpactirella overdijki sp. n. and Idiothele mira sp. n. Idiothele nigrofulva (Pocock, 1898 ) is redescribed from its types and fresh topotypic material. The previously unknown male of the harpactirine Ceratogyrus paulseni Gallon, 2005 is described. Ceratogyrus ezendami Gallon, 2001 is transferred to the genus Augacephalus and diagnosed from its two congeners Augacephalus breyeri (Hewitt, 1919) and A. junodi (Simon, 1904). The eumenophorine genus Pelinobius Karsch, 1885 is revalidated and proposed as a senior synonym of Citharischius Pocock, 1900. Phoneyusa gregori Pocock, 1897, Phoneyusa bettoni Pocock, 1898, Citharischius crawshayi Pocock, 1900 and Phoneyusa rufa Berland, 1914 are treated as junior synonyms of Pelinobius muticus Karsch, 1885. The monotypic genus Monocentropella Strand, 1907 is treated here as a junior synonym of Eumenophorus Pocock, 1897

- Lonnie

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree that I don't like that way it looks. Actually, i'll probably be doing a lot of double takes between P. muticus & P. murinus :D
Thats what I was thinking ! They are so similar if you read them both fast haha !

Jon3800

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
True . . . I think Iridopelma needs to be in the Avic genus haha . They look so similar ! Soon they are gonna change the roseas name - Wait they already did :wall:
Not really, for one there a lot easier to care for than Avic slings. My recife sling resembles an A.diversipes

Everyone will get used to it. They got over G. aureostriata to G. pulchripes. Cyriopagopus sp. "Singapore blue" to L. violaceopes. Sounds like A. diversipes may get moved to Iridopelma. T's getting renamed is just part of the hobby :D
also N.vulpinus to N.tripeppi. A.diversipes moving to the Iridopelma is a sound idea...my recife sling looks exactly like it

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
also N.vulpinus to N.tripeppi. A.diversipes moving to the Iridopelma is a sound idea...my recife sling looks exactly like it
You have a good point . Maybe the diversipes should be moved to Iridopelma genus is a good idea .

John Kanker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why should we ? We are saying this because they look the same , and have the same behaviors .
Afaik A. diversipes males do not have a second set of tibal apophysis on leg II, so what the the noticed similaritys show in this case is that Iridopelma and Avicularia are closely related but we know this also from other things such as type II urticating setae, sometimes convergent evolution can be misleading as Noexcuse4you was pointing out ;).

Cheers John.

Jon3800

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have you ever heard of the porteri bud ? Its their new name . :wall:
The name isn't officially recognized yet. We don't know at this time if the RCF is an entirely different species or if it is a simply color morph. That's why we're calling the Normal form (one's sold in pet stores) "G.porteri/rosea" and the RCF G.rosea.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The name isn't officially recognized yet. We don't know at this time if the RCF is an entirely different species or if it is a simply color morph. That's why we're calling the Normal form (one's sold in pet stores) "G.porteri/rosea" and the RCF G.rosea.
Ah . Well if I see a G. rosea female im buying it LOL

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Have you ever heard of the porteri bud ? Its their new name . :wall:
The name's been officially recognized since 1936.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jeezum crow, we're gone for a week and look what happens.

It's a big adjustment, but that's the price you pay for being in the hobby. Very interesting, indeed.

Cass

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't particularity mind the new name, I reckon that most of the people who dislike it are the ones who had took pleasure from using the old one and feeling a step above others who could not pronounce it correctly?

{D