• Pet Show

Votes: 69 28.3%
  • Other Collectors Privately

Votes: 68 27.9%

• Total voters

mybabyhasfangs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I get my T's from an online dealer at shows. We both are vendors at the same shows, so we actually do save on shipping. I just email what I want and he sets it aside. Works great! Jason did do a few trades on for some T's, but the majority came from one dealer.

FYI, DanCameron, there were two spider vendors at Tinley, one on the back wall and one 2-3 rows over from the left of the beginning of the show. It's easy to miss people at that show, it's so crowded. And one advanage to being a vendor, you can shop before the doors open. We purchased all of our spiders Sunday morning before anyone was at his table. We are so spoiled...LOL. I love having a crowd in front of my table, but hate having to push through them to shop! Sorry off topic.

Christina

baboons24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the pet show i would prefer to buy from by far the cheapest i have seen, but that only happens once a year around here. but online dealers i think are the wayu to go.

DracosBana

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I mostly get mine at the White Plains show. Though I did drive an hour into Jersey to the breeders house (had to get my purpurea slings) once.

Then I won a tarantula in the raffle and will probably order a few more when it's ready to ship.

jojobear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I voted for online dealer because that is where the majority of my T's came from. I like the ability to shop around online before I make the decision. I have found shopping online stops me from that impulse buying I tend to do at the shows. The shipping is a little steep when buying online but remember as members of Arachnoboards we get discounts/freebies from certified Aracnodealers and that usually more than makes up for the shipping costs if you are ordering several spiders at once. Also the dealers have all been reviewed numerous times to attest to their business dealing. I love the shows for a social outlet but I tend to buy way too much at the shows and avoid them or I don't bring much money, no credit cards and no checkbook. This is just my 2 cents worth.

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I prefer buying from hobbiest that have captive bred stock for sale. This way you can be ensured you are contributing to upping captive breeding and also that the spiders have the best care available (ie tarantulas won't breed unless they feel very secure). Also for another purely selfish reason the breeders I've bought from will often chuck in a free spiderling or 2.:}

Waryur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I said Showes but i should add that I buy from specific online dealers at these showes.

1: there are a lot of great on-line dealers who take great care of T's that i would and have bought from.

2: I like buying at showes because i can see exactly what i am getting. I might say i want an A. avic but then i get there and see an amazing P. regalis and get that instead.

dealers at showes thats what i say!

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I must exclude pet shops and pet shows as there are no such things here, so I bought all my tarantulas and scorpions by other collectors and breathers...I must say I am very satisfied. I didn't use the online sellers because they are more expensive and its more difficult to make a trade arrangement with them...
Also, I met several nice people here on the board...

lmramsey89

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I picked "pet store" but wanted to clarify that I don't generally buy from petco or the like.
I buy mine from an exotic pet store in my area. They don't specifically specialize in Ts but they keep them in proper enclosures and are knowledgeable :clap: . I do have a rescue from the pet store in my mall. Large G. Rosea kept on wood chips with WAY too much headroom, no water dish and an injury on her abdomen presumably from falling. :mad:

*sigh*
Oh well.
The shop is S&S Exotic Pets. Awesome awesome place. They have A tiger and lion in a massive zoo-like enclosure in the backyard :)worship: ) along with birds, different mammals, and TONS of reptiles.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I chose pet show, but I normally buy from an online dealer at the show. So, I guess I would need a combined answer of pet show and online dealer.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I guess breeder and dealer are considered the same.

I buy all my animals from a breeder/dealer, I am willing to drive 1 1/2 hours each way to do this.

Why?

They are friends, interesting conversations, personalized shopping experience (opportunity to see adults of slings interested in), accurate info. regarding purchase, healthy animals, best prices, best selection, etc........

tarantulaholic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Deff. Both either Local pet store or Online. Both has there positive and negative.
Online you pay extra for shipping and you dont see the T first hand, and has that chance of injuring T during shipment, or getting ripped-off. But there wide varieties of T's, almost endless.
Local pet store, less selection, but you see the T you are buying. But some local pet store get some nice quality T's at reasonable price.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Forgot to mention some were inherited and given to me as well.

Pet stores do pretty well when I visit, I just won't buy animals from them anymore. But that's just me.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I selected everything but Pet Store. I am honestly yet to encounter a pet store that provided a) good husbandry conditions b) competative prices c)interesting species d) accurate species labeling and e) sexed specimens - all of which you should be able to get at shows, from online dealers, and from private collectors if you are selective and researched about who you buy from. Maybe I'd change my mind if I'd come across an amazing pet store, but I honestly haven't found anything but mediocrity at best - and that's through multiple states over many years. I also have a very strong preference for captive bred animals, and what I often see in pet stores is largely older and very probably WC critters. Plus, I'd rather support someone who is responsible, passionate, and making a meaningful contribution to the hobby through breeding less common tarantulas than throwing $$ at Petco for a nearly mature male wild-caught rosie being kept on 1/4" of wood chips.

IrishKnight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
got 5 of mine from an online dealer that lives by me,so i guess thats private collection?and got my adsult g.pulchra online and gonna buy alot more here online!:worship:

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
At a pet show would be ideal, because you get to see what you're buying and choose from a few specimens. If you order online, you get what is chosen to be sent to you. That said, there's a better selection through an online dealer than at a petshop. The petshop would be more convenient because you wouldn't have to pay shipping fees, and again, you'd see what you're getting before it arrives. But most pet shops don't carry what you're looking for.

So I voted at a pet show..Too bad they don't happen often enough. A few times a year would be sweet in my city. :)

Kuro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i only have 2 Ts right now and got both from people here on the boards.

there are no pet shops within reasonable driving distance and the only one within a 100 miles(literaly a 100) is a petco and i will never buy an animal especialy a T or reptile from a petco

there is one pet/exotic show here thats held every other month but i've never been to it...would be to much hassle...over a 4 hour drive one way so i'd have to leave either super early in the moring or the night before so i could get there in good time.

so for now and probably awhile i'll only be buying Ts from people online.

Miz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i chose pet shop because

A) I have yet to find specific combinations of species being sold at the same site to justify paying shipping.
B) the shop I buy my Ts from is VERY knowledgable, they house their Ts properly, they have a great selection, and the prices are very reasonable. (The Aquatic Critter in Nashville, TN) That store rocks my socks.

Not to say I wouldn't buy online or at a show I just haven't yet. I'm pretty sure my next purchase will be with an online dealer for multiple species, so we'll see how I feel after that experience is said and done. Also, I'm not aware of any good shows in this area. I am new to the hobby, so I haven't been able to have such an experience. Basically I have nothing to compare the pet store experience to, so my opinion isn't exactly well rounded yet.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Online dealer.

Better prices,better selection.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
1 Pet shops. Usually know little about what they are selling, high prices, and miss labled, but no shipping cost.

2 Online dealers: More options. Sometimes come across some fake deals, but for the most part know more about what they are selling. Can see reviews on sellers. Down side is shipping cost but ok if you can buy a lot at once.

3 Pet show. Not a lot around here maybe one reptile show a year.