Pet shop stupidity

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Omg! I had someone at petsmart (who was in charge of the reptiles/exotic pets) ask me to show them HOW to feed their tarantulas!!!! They were leaving five crickets in their at a time until they died or were eaten and then they'd replace them and just leave them there. They weren't even sure of the size of the cricket to feed, or how frequently, etc. it was pretty bad...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Omg! I had someone at petsmart (who was in charge of the reptiles/exotic pets) ask me to show them HOW to feed their tarantulas!!!! They were leaving five crickets in their at a time until they died or were eaten and then they'd replace them and just leave them there. They weren't even sure of the size of the cricket to feed, or how frequently, etc. it was pretty bad...
That's where we can educate them. It's nice for us to talk amongst ourselves, but we should also use our knowledge to help others with their spiders. We owe that to the spiders.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was glad that at least they asked! I've had some ppl be very condescending when I tell them they rnt dojng it right

--J.Haas

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I was glad that at least they asked! I've had some ppl be very condescending when I tell them they aren't doing it right
There's ways to do it that don't ruffle as many feathers. You don't want to use the words 'wrong' or 'not doing it right.' Those make people defensive. You can tell them you've learned 'more successful' ways to keep spiders from collectors and breeders, even mention this site, which has members from all over the world. You want to win them over. Should be a positive conversation.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
True, I didn't say "ur doing it wrong" but I'm sure my facial expression told it all

--J.Haas

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
At my LPS it irritates me because they have the substrate SO wet for the G. Rosea, and the poor thing is hanging onto the walls trying to get away from that mud-like crap. You bet when I start work there Tuesday things are changing >:)
I can't wait to educate potential customers.